• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Oldsmobile owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

How many miles does you Alero have?

DOCOLDS

Reaction score
My Alero GLS has 125,000 miles on it, and it runs like brand new. I found it at a dealer smashed and completely tore it apart, for a new paint/body job. Looks brand new, and works just like new. My current fuel economy is a disappointment. I will drive Oldsmobiles until there are none left. Lol.

tph3576

Reaction score
1999 Alero 202,000 just bought it in July $500, not bad, had to put about $200 into it, mostly trim stuff, wheel bearings, rear strut mounts, LF power window motor. But overall pretty happy with it, gets 31 mpg highway, 3.4liter.

OrcaSnack

Reaction score
In the process of purchasing a 1999 GL with 32,281 original miles on it. :thumbsup:

Brainded

Reaction score
I've got a 2002 GLS Coupe, 3400 (obviously). She's got just over 150,000 miles on her. She still runs great, but has not been without problems:

1. Had to replace all 4 rims because the originals kept corroding along the beads.
2. Due for the second set of wheel bearings (has needed them for a little while now but I have not been in a huge hurry).
3. Thermostat is not working right - sucks in cold weather.
4. A/C went out this summer - now sucks in warm weather too.
5. Due for new struts.
6. Needs a new RR taillight assembly because it has leaked water in since the beginning. Still works, but lots of water stains inside.
7. Had to replace rear speakers once.
8. Dash is badly peeling from the front. The airbag piece has completely peeled off, leaving a big black rectangle in my gray dash. I've noticed several others with this problem - all gray interiors.
9. Had to replace the Cat once. Otherwise still original exhaust.
10. Beginning to show a little rust behind the passenger door along the trim.

Other than those things, it still runs great. I get about 20-22 around town and about 30 on the highway. She had her 100,000 mile tuneup on time, and had a manifold gasket replaced early on under warranty (I think it was a recall in the end). Just now beginning to see some oil on the outside of the bottom of the engine, but not enough to drip on the ground. All in all, I think she's held up pretty well.

Last edited:

eric92

Reaction score
I got my 2000 Alero in the fall of 2012 for a $1000.00 cnd, and it had 216'000kms on the clock.

I have dumped WAY to much money into the thing.

Replaced a broken front strut spring (replaced the assy with a used), did the brakes that were shot, still has some manifold coolant leaking issues but that is TOO expensive to fix for now, put a windsheild in it, and overall tune up with new plugs, wires, etc, and then the starter went (found a used one and had it thrown in for $50.00, which was cheap because it took the mechanic OVER two hours).

I only use it for the work commute and have about 220'000 kms on the clock now.

Not a bad car (nice looking body lines) but from what I have gathered by talking to seasoned mechanics, these cars can be a real BEOTCH to work on.

So I am married to a $4500.00 car that is only worth about $1500.00

93F-150

Reaction score
mine has almost 187k on it. paid $1700 for it 14 months ago all i've put into it was new tires, a starter, and an idler pulley

diguiseppimon

Reaction score
I have an '03 thats about to hit 190k miles. I've done all the routine maintenance and such on it, and so far the only things I've had go wrong was the fuel pump go out a few years ago, had my O2 sensor go out a few years ago, I've had the windshield replaced twice (both ironically got chips which turned into huge cracks in the EXACT same place), had a wheel bearing replaced, and my front end has been redone about 4 times now from a deer and small fender benders. Otherwise, she's run perfectly!
My quarter panel needs replaced/painted from someone swiping me in a parking lot while I was shopping, and my ac/heat only really blows if its on '4' or higher, but thats it. The only weird thing was, was before my fuel pump went out, I used to be able to get nearly 500 miles for a completely full tank of gas, and now I get MAYBE 300 tops if I'm REALLY pushing it. They are good cars and I'll definitely be running mine til it craps out on me. :)

Oh, fun fact, it was my moms car originally, bought it completely wrecked from an Avis rental place, had about 30k miles on it when we received it (back in 2004), my dad fixed everything up on it, and when I turned 16 in 2005, the car was mine, and I've had it ever since. :) *knocks on wood* hopefully it'll keep going for a while longer, I absolutely love my granny car!

mwp71467

Reaction score
2000 2.4 GL . 132000 miles. Not enough space to list the problems since 100000 miles but hey, It's not your dads Oldsmobile:)

Last edited:

Snoman

Reaction score

About to roll over 200k on my 2003 2-Door 2GL 3400

Repairs this year;
- Catalytic converter (100k warranty)
- Rebuilt Transmission (3yr warranty)
- New Shocks
- New Struts
- New Tires
- New Brakes
- New Front Wheel Hubs

Maintenance next month;
- 2nd 100k Tune up (replacing everything non-metal attached to engine, hoses, spark plugs/wires, gaskets etc)
- Cold Air intake
- Reprogramming computer/chip
- Lower left fog light assembly
- New speakers

Air still blows ice cold, I drive mostly city and get about 23 MPG. Phenomenal commuter vehicle for me.

-Sno

ThePabst

Reaction score
210,000. Bought it salvage from a guy that set it on fire working on the fuel rail. Spent a winter swapping out melted wire and plastic from a donor car that lost a head on with a dear ... Spray the hood and it looks like it too ... best car I have ever owned. I drive it 75 miles a day round trip to work and back.

She is getting noisy around the cams. I'm gonna tear the top of, spiff it up and get another 100K out of it. Love that girl.

gfc56

Reaction score
17,600 as of today.

Is this miles on the original engine?

I have 60K miles on my 2004 Gl sedan V6. I just put new tires with nitrogen fill. Nice not having to add air. No major repairs so far. I avg 28 mpg city and country road driving. Never driven but a few miles on interstate. The CD player stopped working on factory radio. Love radio. Very pleased with this car.

vinceb757

Reaction score
99 GLS wit 3400 v6, has 245,800. Around tax time, getting an engine rebuild kit.
New egr and pcv, oil changes every 3000 to 3500. Ticks a little bit, but after that many miles, I'm not surprised.

icemanfla

Reaction score
lots of miles on my 1999

I have 216000 on my 1999 3400 motor. I got the car with 145000 on it and it was fairly well maintained by the 2 previous owners. I am just now starting to have some issues with it. i need to replace the water pump keeps overheating and nothing is circulating . other than that I have put nothing into the car other than oil every 5000 miles and a car wash every week. I only paid 150.00 for the car so I'd have to say that I got my moneys worth.