Why is my 1999 Oldsmobile Alero sputtering?

shelby

Reaction score
I have a 1999 oldsmobile alero. Yesterday my Husband and I were driving on the interstate and all of a sudden my car started sputtering and the "service engine soon" light came on and the "trac off" light came on. So we got off on the first exit and we were stopped at a red light and the car just died. It started back up and sputtered like crazy, so we pulled over at a little shopping center and looked under the hood and there was a strong fume smell and we went to the back of the car and the muffler was making a loud noise (sounded like a big truck). We tryed to drive it home so we wouldn't have to pay to get it towed and it started smoking a little bit under the hood and it was still sputtering unless we would get a good speed. We made it home, but don't know what the problem is.

Roger

Reaction score
it may be your catalytic converter plugged up and not letting the exhaust out the tail pipe

pedro7of9

Reaction score
1 check all fluids??coolant..oil?
2 check /test battery and connections,,bad bat/connections can cause misfire,,trouble lights etc

I assUme its been tuned up since 1999,,do i assUme wrong?

TheThickster

Reaction score
Im having the exact same problem with my 99 Alero V6. So far Ive changed the Battery, Throttle Pos. Sensor, Idle Air Valve, Mass Airflow, Purge Valve Solenoid, PCV Valve, Catalytic Converter, New Wires and Spark Plugs. Still the same ol sputter, flashing SES and low trac.

I posted a thread on aleromod.com and i was told that it could be the wheel bearing abs sensors going bad. I replaced mine back in 2006 so i dont know if that could be it. Back in 2006 it was running great no problems.

Im gonna get the PCM flashed tommorow and see if maybe that helps I know there was a TSB on this so hopefully the flash helps.

recondrill

Reaction score
it may be your catalytic converter plugged up and not letting the exhaust out the tail pipe

I totally concur with the Cat being clogged. Not a cheap fix, but if you temporarily removed it and patched it with some pipe you can get at any auto parts store...it will assist in the diagonsis.

recondrill

Reaction score

I agree, if the Cat is clogged, it will build to much back pressure in the motor, causing it to sputter and die. Try removing it, test drive it, before taking it to a mufler shop and spend $$$$ replacing it...it could be someting else.

The PVC being bad would not make th engine die!!!

TheThickster

Reaction score
I would do a back pressure test with a vacuum gauge just to be sure. There is some good videos on youtube. I jumped in and replaced mine and it turns out it wasnt the problem. Im positive its an electrical problem.

G

G-729602

I would do a back pressure test with a vacuum gauge just to be sure. There is some good videos on youtube. I jumped in and replaced mine and it turns out it wasnt the problem. Im positive its an electrical problem.
What kind of electricity problem?