What code reader for my 1995 Eighty Eight

Searcy

Reaction score
My Check light came on in my 1995 Olds 88 so I went to Auto Zone, Advanced and Pet Boys and none of them had any idea on how to read the code on this car.

What's the trick?

crate78

Reaction score
1995 might be the first year of OBDII. At any rate, all you should have to do is determine if the car has OBDI or OBDII diagnostics and plug in the appropriate code reader.

Searcy

Reaction score
1995 might be the first year of OBDII. At any rate, all you should have to do is determine if the car has OBDI or OBDII diagnostics and plug in the appropriate code reader.
It has an OBDII plug but 5 different ODBII readers wont read it. The problem is that 1995 was in between OBDI and OBD II. GM used a bastard hybrid that year.

So I need to know if there is a way to adapt an OBDI or ODBII reader to this car or if I have to buy a special reader for this year only.

Searcy

Reaction score
Ok... seems this car has an ODBI computer in it but it uses an ODBII connector for it and the old paper clip trick wont work here.

Any one know the name of a good code reader that will work on my car? I'm willing to buy a good one I just want to be sure it will work before I shell out the dough.

touringsedan

Reaction score
Yes you have figured out that the 95's are bastards along with the 94's. Lucky me I have one of each.

They have the OBDI computer with the OBDII plug. Someone told me the EPA or someone told the automakers had to be compliant by 1994. GM could not get it together for some reason and were given an exemption for 94-95. The 96 and newer cars have the OBDII plug AND ECM.

I have not had much problem with my computers fortunately. The engine light on my 94 98 came on about a month ago and I had Pep Boys do a scan for 35 bucks, telling me I had codes for the EGR, O2 sensor, and a lean trim code. So I'm not sure why they could not read yours, maybe you got an incompetent technician? Autozone can't read them, I've tried.

I replaced the EGR and it ran much better but was getting an intermittent light. So I bought an 02 sensor and installed it and everything is great now.

My mechanic has a high buck Snap On reader that can read those years I know. Beside that, I don't have a recommendation of what reader will work.

Let us know what you end up buying. I've thought about buying a reader for these cars myself.

Mike

Last edited:

Searcy

Reaction score
For sure the guy the tried to check my car at Pep Boys was a moron. After his code reader failed to connect the first few times he said "Are you sure this is a 95 car?" I said "yes... I'm very sure". He looked at the sticker on the drivers door and said "Nooooo... Se here? This sticker says your car was built in 11/94. So your car is a 1994..."

I didn't even argue with him. He said for $80 they could hook it to their big Diag in the shop but I opted to save that money and spend it on a code reader. That is only the second time I have ever asked Pep Boys to do any work for me and both times they were totally clueless. I didn't really expect much and I was not let down.

Thanks for the input! I suspect that the O2 sensor is bad but I hate to just start changing parts. I think I'm gonna order this and see if I can read the codes with my old lap top.

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd2

I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:

Searcy

Reaction score
Alright... I bit the bullet on this today and ordered it. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Searcy

Reaction score
Well.....none of the free programs that came with the cable will work on this car. Seems that this oddball configuration is called an "OBD 1.5" . I'll keep at it till I figure this out....

ehtan2point0

Reaction score
according to Amazon.com: Customer Questions & Answers

the actron cp9185 (with a cable) will work. i was about to order this reader when i noticed the cable is almost as expensive.

Q will it read 1995 olds OBD 1.5?

asked on December 3, 2015
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers

The CP9185 is compatible with all 1996 and newer OBD II (On-Board Diagnosis II) compliant vehicles manufactured in North America, Asia and Europe and (with the purchase of optional cables) will cover most OBD I domestic vehicles. This is from their product information, so the answer is no. If you live near an Ammco they might still have the free offer to scan your car for free. Advanced Auto might also offer a free scan, I remember they use to.
Kindle Customer · December 6, 2015

According to what I've read, it diagnoses any OBD from 1995 on.
robert c. munger · December 3, 2015

Yes it will. I have used it as such with the optional CP9127 cable kit.
Gary Washer · February 11, 2016