Tires for a 1977 cutlass supreme

jess7977

Reaction score
Hi there, does anyone know the widest possible tires that can be mounted on a 1977 cutlass supreme brougham with the stock 15/7 SSII rims? I went to my local tire shop, and was told all they can tell me is the stock size is 205/75/R15, and they cant tell what else will fit because of the age of my car. I have 235/75/R15 on the front and rear, with no problems. I am looking for a wider look without replacing my stock rims. In my opinion, those SSII rims are what make a cutlass. I was thinking about 245/60/R15 front and rear, maybe even 255/60/R15. I want the front and rear to be the same size. I am sure the rear wont be a problem, but the front is what Im concerned about. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of my baby, and yes the color has been "warmed" up and windows tinted with photoshop. It was taken when it had 235/75's in the rear and 215/75's in front. I intend to do a paint job and tint the widows in August once I get my student loan. Best way to spend federal funds :lol: Other than cosmetic stuff, she in perfect condition. The seats, door panels, headliner, and carpet have all been replaced. A jvc cd player and 500 watt amp, with 4 pioneer 6X9's were installed. And no subs, I didnt want that kind of sound, just loud and distortion free. I have completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension with urethane bushings. Rebuilt the 350 rocket engine, and the 350 trans. As well as put disc brakes in rear, and replaced the 2.43 open diff with a 3.03 posi. New coil springs front and rear, and put bilstein shocks with 1 1/4'' addco front sway bar, and a 1'' rear addco sway bar. At the time of the pic, I only had the stock single 2 1/4'' exhaust, but now I have true dual 2 1/2'' exhaust all the way to the back using the stock manifolds and magnaflow mufflers. They have a great sound, real deep rumble, but not loud enough to hear you coming. When I get my digital camera working again, I will post more pics if there is any people wanting to see more. Sorry, but what can I say, Im proud of my work, not too bad eh?

[attachmentid=164]

delta8884

Reaction score
sweet ride you have there .
i would think the 60'series would look good ,but you may drop the ride height
doing this ?

are you going to run the raised white letters in or out

pete

quantum110

Reaction score
With the 235/75's you have on it now your running nearly an inch more diameter than the factory size...your speedo is probably about 6% off too.

A 255/60 is actually within .1 of an inch of the factory diameter, and if your SSII's are at least 7" wide they should fit fine.

jess7977

Reaction score
Originally posted by delta8884@Jun 25 2005, 11:53 PM
sweet ride you have there .
i would think the 60'series would look good ,but you may drop the ride height
doing this ?

are you going to run the raised white letters in or out

pete
[snapback]9031[/snapback]​

I figured the ride height would get a little lower. I intend to get white lettered tires and run them facing out. I like the look of white walls, but want a tougher look.

jess7977

Reaction score
Originally posted by quantum110@Jun 26 2005, 05:05 AM
With the 235/75's you have on it now your running nearly an inch more diameter than the factory size...your speedo is probably about 6% off too.

A 255/60 is actually within .1 of an inch of the factory diameter, and if your SSII's are at least 7" wide they should fit fine.
[snapback]9038[/snapback]​

I have yokohama avid touring tires on right now, excellent tires for the price $60.00 for 80,000 mile tires. They haver great traction in dry and wet weather. I went to their website where they had overall diameters and did notice the closeness in size, but I am concerned if they will be too wide and rub any place. I went by one of those radar detectors that shows your speed, and it showed the same speed as my speedometer, but I was going 20 mph at the time. Thanks for your info.

jess7977

Reaction score
Originally posted by Torofreakinnado@Jun 26 2005, 02:19 PM
I have no idea how to help you, but I like your car.
[snapback]9055[/snapback]​

Thanks for the compliment, your ride is cool too. My aunt had a 90 toro, but someone hit her on the passenger side, it was scrapped. She loved that car and told me she cried when it had to be scrapped.

jess7977

Reaction score
Originally posted by Yogi442@Jun 27 2005, 07:23 AM
I run 295x50 R15's on front and back on my 76 with custom wheels.
[snapback]9083[/snapback]​

those are some huge tires!, I guess I shouldnt have any problems running 255/60/r15's then.

Yogi442

Reaction score
I remember when I purchased them, the salesman asked if I was interested and told him yes and wanted 4, he asked if I had 2 cars and I told him no. He then asked if I was using 2 for spares. Again told him no. At that point the guy looked totally confused. He then remarked that I could not be putting these all the way around. I told him I was. He said they would not fit the front. I asked him if he had ever been inside the front wheel well of a 76 Cutlass and he said no. I told that I have and I'm 6' 2" and 275lbs and I can get in there. He sold me the 4 and they are all on there fine so anysize smaller than that you should have no problems with. Actually the ones I have fit right to the edge of the fender well and definitely gives a wide aggressive style coming at you...

Brandong

Reaction score
I run 295x50 R15's on front and back on my 76 with custom wheels.
Hey all, not to Kick up dust on an old thread but YOGI442 do you have any pictures of the car with this tire/wheel combo? also what are the offset of the wheels?
Thank you,