THE OLDSMOBILE LETTERS AND SYMBOL IS GONE

Black02Rora

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am rather new to this site (as far as posting goes), but I wanted to share something with my fellow Oldsmobile brothers and sisters. I was driving to work today and I usually pass this one particular Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealer everyday in route. It's where I bought my 2002 Aurora. This dealer has gradually become a GM Superstore. Well, while sitting at a traffic light today, I noticed they removed all of the letters off of the building and the illuminated sign that once spelled out OLDSMOBILE with the new rocket logo is GONE. I saw the sign just yesterday! They even left the light on every night that lit up OLDSMOBILE. Even the decals in the showroom windows are GONE!

Now today it is like the brand was never there. In Olds' place they've added a temporary Buick banner in the window to supposedly advertise the arrival of the brand. This kinda saddend me for I knew it was over but you never think "IT'S OVER!" I guess I was in denial and still holding on to the name and brand. It's even strange looking at 2005 new car publishings and NOT seeing Oldsmobile listed. I will surely miss it.

There were many Oldsmobiles in my family. Even as a young man (I am 29) I've had 3 Oldsmobiles (81 Cutlass Supreme, 91 Trofeo and 02 Aurora) with the Aurora being my first new car. I never thought of it as an Old person's brand. Especially so with Aurora. If Aurora is an old folk's ride, then old folks have damn good taste! Oldsmobile always portrayed elegance, class and sport. A delicate balance of all the traits. Kinda like it's owners. It had a dominate place within General Motors. The last generation of Olds was pretty good. OLDS had it all right and were moving in the right direction. The OSV OLDSMOBILES were hot concepts!!! No way were they old folk designs. GM sabotaged it. They got rid of the wrong one.

Just wanted to share my experience and give Olds some long overdue props.
THANKS FOR READING. Let me hear some feedback. What do you all think about it? Do you care at all? Or, Am I over reacting?

RoraStar96

Reaction score
That was a great read....good to see the passion is still out there for the Olds lineup

I was disheartened with my local dealership went all Chevrolet and took down the Olds banner, now they get excited when my Aurora rolls in :)

G

The Olds/Cadillac dealer at where I bought my 2001 Aurora 4.0 still has the Olds
sign & logo on display.

GM!!! BRING BACK OLDS!!!

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It really is a shame.. It's sad to see Oldsmobile really go. Maybe we'll see it back in one form or another, someday.. Until then, we'll just have to stick together with what we've got left..

Black02Rora

Reaction score
THE NEW SIGN IS UP!!!!! In Oldsmobile's place it just reads "buick". I'm so excited. WUTEVA!!!

Drew

Reaction score
The Olds/caddy dealership where I take mine for service still has oldsmobile on the sign =)
I heard that GM origionaly was going to discontinue buick!

Gus Edwards

Reaction score
Originally posted by Black02Rora@Nov 16 2004, 04:07 PM
Hey all,
I am rather new to this site (as far as posting goes), but I wanted to share something with my fellow Oldsmobile brothers and sisters. I was driving to work today and I usually pass this one particular Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealer everyday in route. It's where I bought my 2002 Aurora. This dealer has gradually become a GM Superstore. Well, while sitting at a traffic light today, I noticed they removed all of the letters off of the building and the illuminated sign that once spelled out OLDSMOBILE with the new rocket logo is GONE. I saw the sign just yesterday! They even left the light on every night that lit up OLDSMOBILE. Even the decals in the showroom windows are GONE!

Now today it is like the brand was never there. In Olds' place they've added a temporary Buick banner in the window to supposedly advertise the arrival of the brand. This kinda saddend me for I knew it was over but you never think "IT'S OVER!" I guess I was in denial and still holding on to the name and brand. It's even strange looking at 2005 new car publishings and NOT seeing Oldsmobile listed. I will surely miss it.

There were many Oldsmobiles in my family. Even as a young man (I am 29) I've had 3 Oldsmobiles (81 Cutlass Supreme, 91 Trofeo and 02 Aurora) with the Aurora being my first new car. I never thought of it as an Old person's brand. Especially so with Aurora. If Aurora is an old folk's ride, then old folks have damn good taste! Oldsmobile always portrayed elegance, class and sport. A delicate balance of all the traits. Kinda like it's owners. It had a dominate place within General Motors. The last generation of Olds was pretty good. OLDS had it all right and were moving in the right direction. The OSV OLDSMOBILES were hot concepts!!! No way were they old folk designs. GM sabotaged it. They got rid of the wrong one.

Just wanted to share my experience and give Olds some long overdue props.
THANKS FOR READING. Let me hear some feedback. What do you all think about it? Do you care at all? Or, Am I over reacting?
[snapback]3912[/snapback]​

Gus Edwards

Reaction score
No, you're not over-reacting; read some of my letters that are in various sections of this forum. The decision to send Oldsmobiles into extinction was a travesty and disgrace, a slap in the face of the American way! But like some volcanoes, Oldsmobiles may not be extinct, only dormant...heh, heh...waiting for the right time to stir things up! - Gus Edwards AKA Cheryl B. Montoya :eek:

Black02Rora

Reaction score
I'm not knocking the old rocket emblem, but that new design was very HOT! With a new age look to it. Beats those old badge designs from the early 50s and 60s. Oldsmobile was really heading in the right direction. There's no way it should have failed.

Gus Edwards

Reaction score
Yes, the New Age rocket circle emblem; it has a type of spiritual significance to it, though I consider it to be patriotic as well. Oldsmobile did not fail, the powers that be (or were) failed; guess they felt threatened by something that represented idealism and non-conformity - Gus Edwards

03Aleroj

Reaction score
Originally posted by Black02Rora@May 4 2005, 05:16 PM
I couldn't have worded it better myself. ;)
[snapback]6815[/snapback]​
Yea it kinda makes ya wanna break out a tear when ya dont see anymore olds commercials, or see brand new oldsmobiles in a showroom, when I see the local GM super store down here took off the olds sign to put up a NISSAN sign, I sort of fliiped :eek: <_< Guess its not a GM super store anymore:(

Gus Edwards

Reaction score
Would you believe - My daughter and I recite our own Oldsmobile commercials to one another; as a matter of fact, she filmed my '99 Intrigue being driven on a scenic road by Lake Austin - I like to think that perhaps we are rehearsing - for a future event! - Gus Edwards - AKA Cheryl B. Montoya :p

G

I'm sure that you've all noticed the "new" Buick LaCrosse that is out. The car is a Aurora if you ask me.

Gus Edwards

Reaction score
I dunno, tho - I don't think any Oldsmobile can be imitated or counterfeited; like Coke or Dr. Pepper, nothing else comes even close to being 'the real thing'! - Gus Edwards

G

IN NO WAY, FORM OR FASHION IS THAT PIECE OF CHEAP JUNK (THEY CALL IT "LACROSSE") AN AURORA. SURE IT HAS A SIMILAR CAB FORWARD SHAPE I'LL GIVE YOU THAT, BUT IT'S NO AURORA!!! HELL, EVEN A LESABRE ISN'T AN AURORA AND THEY SHARE THE SAME CHASIS.

OWN ONE/DRIVE ONE AND YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I MEAN. THERE AIN'T NOTHING LIKE AN OLDSMOBILE. DON'T LET GENERAL MOTORS FOOL YOU.

Black02Rora

Reaction score
Originally posted by Guest@May 25 2005, 04:31 PM
IN NO WAY, FORM OR FASHION IS THAT PIECE OF CHEAP JUNK (THEY CALL IT "LACROSSE") AN AURORA. SURE IT HAS A SIMILAR CAB FORWARD SHAPE I'LL GIVE YOU THAT, BUT IT'S NO AURORA!!! HELL, EVEN A LESABRE ISN'T AN AURORA AND THEY SHARE THE SAME CHASIS.

OWN ONE/DRIVE ONE AND YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I MEAN. THERE AIN'T NOTHING LIKE AN OLDSMOBILE. DON'T LET GENERAL MOTORS FOOL YOU.
[snapback]7254[/snapback]​

You said it best! Lacrosse is not an Aurora. It replaces the Regal/Century not the Aurora. 2 different classes of car. It looks ok but on the inside that cheezy-ass-wannabe-wood grain has got to go! Aurora uses real Burled Walnut for one and is much more elegant inside. Aurora looks, feels and drives like an upscale vehicle. I didn't get this feeling when I drove the Lacrosse. It's a nice a looking car for a Buick though.