Starting issue

mjc79

Reaction score
I did a search but could not find my exact issue. The car is a 2000 intrigue and I have had this intermittent electrical issue for about a year. When the factory radio was still installed every time I hit a good sized bump it would shut off and then turn back on. So I decided to install an aftermarket radio but still got the same problems. I then did a wiggle test and hitting test and found the wiring harness under the glove box was the issue. I then just ran the power and ground wires to other sources and that solves the issue with the radio so I left the problem unsolved as thats al that was affected at the time. Just last week I went to go start up the car again after driving around for a bit and the car would not start. Relays just clicked and would not crank. My thought was the ignition switch recall but that is not the issue. I thought maybe that wiring harness from before was causing the problem and when I wiggled the wiring harness right under the glove box, the car started right back up. I havent got around to do any deep inspection on it yet but was just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before. Thanks for the help!

swagled

Reaction score
Unfortunately, electrical quirks are some of the toughest things to solve. I'm really cautious about altering any of the wiring in a car nowadays. I shorted the instrument cluster of a 1974 Plymouth once trying to install a radio... wasn't a big deal, I pulled another from a junkyard and swapped it. No way would a modern car go so easily.

mjc79

Reaction score
Bringing this back up as i am still having the same problems. So far i have replaced the ignition switch, bcm, crank and cam sensors and also the pcm. None of which solved any of the problems previously listed. I am going to take apart the wiring harness in the next few days to see if there is an issue going on inside it. Hopefully if someone else has the exact same problems, they can check there instead of dumping money in parts that were still good lol

C&C

Reaction score
By wiggling the wire below the dash and getting the engine to start would lead me to believe you have an intermittent open circuit (or a loose ground). Those are tough but if you get it again try wiggling or moving one wire at a time, or if harness, check for proper cleanliness of the pins/sockets and reseat. Just a shot in the dark, but as earlier mentioned, electrical gremlins can be very elusive.

Kayy

Reaction score
Did you ever solve this issue, I'm struggling with the same thing

wolfvan88

Reaction score
Have you checked your starter?
I thought it was my battery but turned out to be the starter.

Check your grounds in the engine compartment.
On starter & on frame below the fuse box (lead coming from negitive terminal.

Verify that with ignition on, that the wire going to the starter Solenoid from ignition is hot with key to start (need extra person to assist or hook up testing light. ) no power here could be the ignition switch.

The ignition recall only was dealer putting a cover on the key. No switch replacement.