standard Aleros

razoredge

Reaction score
Were there any 5 sp Aleros ? Im getting ready to downsize, maybe.

Aurora40

Reaction score
Yes, the Ectotech 2.2L I-4 could be had with a 5-speed manual. So could the earlier 2.4L Twin-Cam engine. The V6 can not be had with anything but a 4-speed auto. IMO, the Ecotech Alero with 5-speed, and the sport package is a pretty sweet ride. I wish you could get all the options, but keep the I-4 and 5-speed. It would be a fun, practical car. Plus, the I-4 seems like it would be put together better than the 3.4L V6. I never really liked that OHC 60-degree V6. My family has had a few cars with them, and they aren't that great. They seem to have a lot of leak issues and such. But that's all just opinion.

I like the Alero. It's not too big, not too small, looks sharp, has a nice interior, and it is cheap. I keep thinking how I could slot one into our lineup, but we have no need for one except as a beater for the Aurora (and that job is already filled by a 200SX). But they are neat cars.

razoredge

Reaction score
So the 2.4 was the decendant of the Quad 4 ? What year Aleros ?
Then the 2.2 ecotec is what kind of engine ? What years ?

I'm a 3.8 90* know it all and know little about any of the 4 cyl. engines. Im not very interested in the 60* family, its a Chevy to me.

Aurora40

Reaction score
Yes, the 2.4 grew out of the Quad 4. It grew in displacement, and was toned down to be smoother. It's not as revvy and wild as the Quad 4 was.

The Ecotech is a global GM engine. It is pretty impressive IMO. They have good torque, economy, and reliability. Plus, they have a lot of performance potential. They showed up on the 2002 Alero. The 5-speed showed up in 2001.

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/011019ecotech.html

razoredge

Reaction score
Ecotec sounds pretty good really. I dont like the long stroke small bore but it really doesnt matter for a road car. So whats a 4 cylinder Alero weigh ? Thats probably the draw back. I think theres after market for the ecotec also.

quantum110

Reaction score
Originally posted by Aurora40@May 23 2004, 08:58 AM
Yes, the 2.4 grew out of the Quad 4. It grew in displacement, and was toned down to be smoother. It's not as revvy and wild as the Quad 4 was.

The Ecotech is a global GM engine. It is pretty impressive IMO. They have good torque, economy, and reliability. Plus, they have a lot of performance potential. They showed up on the 2002 Alero. The 5-speed showed up in 2001.

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/011019ecotech.html
A lot of people seem to underestimate the performance potential of the 2.4L. 2.3L W-41 heads are a direct bolt-on, increasing crank power output above 200hp.