Source for VIC Repair

JMorlan

Reaction score
Just wanted to share info to whomever may need it. I found a source to repair VIC's. I know that finding anyone willing to even look at them is tough. So just sharing the info for whoever finds it here.

This gentlemen has worked on mine twice. Once for the flat line vertical collapse issue, and once to address an intermittent finger tracking issue.

Ask for --> Igor Penava

I've also included my own review for this on the below Google page.

JMorlan

Reaction score
Mine was a 1991. But they are all pretty much the same internally. Leaking capacitor; electrolytic ate thru a diode that controlled the vertical stabilizer.

Do you have the same issue?

retroren

Reaction score
Well there is an 89 that is for sale and the vic is not working. I would tend to think like you that the vics that showed up in 89-92 toros were probably the same internally. I will save Igor's info on the chance I end up getting a toro with a vic. I currently own an 86 and 92 toro but neither has a vic. that's such a cool feature to have.

On a related note, the cluster gauges on my 92 stopped working except the tach. I found a thread that spoke to this issue which was cause by a capacitor. Like you, I found an old time radio repair shop in Farmington, MI and he fixed it for $40.

It's great that you shared this info and now it's documented so that someone 5 years from now will be able to keep their toro vic in working order because of your thoughtfulness.

JMorlan

Reaction score
I would assume you are seeing the vertical collapse issue? One pixel line from left to right dead center of the screen?

The internals to the Vic are identical from 89 to 92. The only real difference between the 89 version, is the hard keys on the screen or in a black piano finish. Versus the black matte finish of the

As luck would have it I may be willing to part with an 89 VIC that I have sitting here. I have a good bit into it, but If I can break even I am willing to let it go. Hit me up offline if you want to go that route. Jmmorlan at EarthLink .net

As far as the repair, it was very reasonable.

I've also had him work on the bad cap cluster issue for a digital I got recently. It wasnt confined to just the analog clusters

For anyone seeing this, on a sidenote, I would be interested and acquiring VIC's working or not. Just to be able to have a spare or two.