simple way to do coolant flush (1996 88 LS)

bigmansmallcar

Reaction score
Just wanted to know the barebones way to do a coolant flush as i think mine is plugged.

i was told i can take out the lower raditor hose like the one in the pic to flush the system but im not sure if this also drains the reservoir and engine.

also after draining it, should i just run it with tap water for about 15 minutes before i refill with coolant? and what tools do i need to do this

atikovi

Reaction score
Just wanted to know the barebones way to do a coolant flush as i think mine is plugged.

i was told i can take out the lower raditor hose like the one in the pic to flush the system but im not sure if this also drains the reservoir and engine.

also after draining it, should i just run it with tap water for about 15 minutes before i refill with coolant? and what tools do i need to do this

Drain from the radiator drain plug screw.

Coolant_flush_and_change.jpg

Refill with water. Drive around 10-15 minutes with the heater on high until the thermostat opens. Repeat 6-8 times until the fluid that comes out is as clean as the water above. If you think there might be a clog, add a chemical flush to the first cycle. And it's best to use distilled water, at least for the last 3 or cycles. Refill with coolant of choice. For your '96 thats Dexcool. Do not use old style green coolant. For my '95 I used Peak. Good time to remove the reservoir and clean out the inside as well.

IMG_8945.JPG