Remove center console?

erw38

Reaction score
Mose specifically I would like to remove the top laye of plastic from just below the shift lever and clean underneath it.......It seems that somehow, someone (wasn't me :D ) got some condensation under the area where the letters P R N D 3 2 1 are at. The clear window that shows these numbers is all foggy. Besides, the plastic wood grain is nasty looking, so I want to clean that as well.

Anyone able to offer any advice in this area?

What is the best repair manual out there. Chiltons or Haynes or another one?

T

Twister97

Hmmm, only advice I can give you is to hold up a hair dryer to the gauge and apply heat to it until/if the fog goes away. Same concept when fog gets in the headlamp. Turn on your lights for 10 minutes and the heat they produce will get rid of the fog, like a defroster does.

erw38

Reaction score
thanks Jay and twister,

I think the is some dirt underneath the plastic as well. I'll check out helms.

Thanks again.

RoraStar96

Reaction score
Okay....its not as easy as it seems.

To remove the centre console. Unscrew the 4 Phillips head screws from inside the centre console storage bin. Open your ashtray flip up lid in front of the shifter. Unscrew the 2 screw there. Lift out the storage bin in the centre console (after removing the addition screws that are mounted near the top of the bin.

Now you have to remove the shifter. And this is where it gets tricky. Bear in mind I was unsucessful in removing the shifter. Apparently a flathead screwdriver does the trick, you need to lift up the rubber booting around the shifter, and somehow pry the shifter off. I failed at this point :angry:

If you do manage to get it off, BE CAREFUL, your power trans wires (black and blue) are found inside the shifter, lift the shifter up slooooowly. If you manage to get it off, you can now remove the centre wood panel and expose the innards of the console. From that point you may be able to remove the plastic covering of the gear shift indication area.

Good luck! ;)

erw38

Reaction score
so what your saying is that its better let alone......or at least it should only be attempted when I have enoungh time off to mee with it and nothing better to do
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks Rora aka Jim

RoraStar96

Reaction score
Its not to bad to do, just gotta be careful with the shifter paddle <_< as sexy as it is...it can be a nuissance.

You know, if yer not happy with the condition of the console, I know an Ebay vendor with a 95. I can get you his contact information. See if he can send you some pics and maybe replace the whole thing?

Just another option :)

erw38

Reaction score
Thanks Jim.

But I don't want this car to be a money pit for me................I'll wait till I get that New new car.

:lol:

RoraStar96

Reaction score
I recently contacted him regarding an ETCBM, but no response...good thing my Traction Control computer started working again.

But..not to get to off track, did you get it fixed or cleaned up?

erw38

Reaction score
no Sir I did not get it cleaned up. I am off work for 2 days straight (there is a God) so I might try it then.

But knowing me, I won't! (Just being honest)

B

BGray

Just wondering if anyone was ever successful in removing the center console? I am trying to put all new carpet in my '97 and I can't get the shifter off. You said use a flathead screwdriver and pry it off? Is there a trick to it or what because it is not budging for me. Any help is appreciated.

Drew

Reaction score
I beleive there is a U-shaped pin on the front(toward the Radio) side of the shifter paddle. If you pry that out I think the shifter should be able to be pried and/or lifted off its base. Just a thought =)

tjm

Reaction score
That little U shaped clip is just inside a slit in the leather on the front of the shifter (you know - that spot your middle finger always touches when you rest your hand on the shifter)

emergency brake on so you can move the gear selector.

I investigated the dirty gear indicator issue years ago and determined that the only way to get to the dirt/cloudyness was to trash the whole unit - not worth it.

I never priced a new part from the dealer.

dwonders

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone was ever successful in removing the center console? I am trying to put all new carpet in my '97 and I can't get the shifter off. You said use a flathead screwdriver and pry it off? Is there a trick to it or what because it is not budging for me. Any help is appreciated.
Without seeing it, I'm thinking there's a small gap when the regular blade screwdriver goes. Instead of prying straight up and down, try to find the gap and twist clockwise/counter-clockwise.