rear air suspension conversion kit for 1988 Oldsmobile Toronado with base suspension

shepard.te

Reaction score
Any suggestions for a replacement for my 1988 Toronado's base rear air suspension would be appreciated.
I'd prefer to convert it from air to conventional shocks/struts.

shepard.te

Reaction score
After much research I think I might have found a replacement (sort of), need to research it more before going through with it.
The rear suspension is the same for the 1986-1992 Oldsmobile Toronado, the 1986-1993 Buick Riviera, and the 1986-1993 Cadillac Eldorado. The Cadillac Eldorado was an all-new design in 1992,
then in late 1993 going forward the new standard features for the Eldorado included speed sensitive steering, a multi-link short/long arm (SLA) rear suspension, and dual airbags. The SLA suspension system included a short upper control arm, a longer lower control arm, shock absorbers and an additional lateral link. These components were mounted on a subframe that was rubber-isolated from the car’s body. This system, introduced on the early-launch 1993 Allante, provided increased ride stability as well as improved steering responsiveness.
I'm attaching photos to see what anyone thinks about my solution.
I'm thinking of taking the rear suspension from a 1994 Cadillac Edorado in order to use the StrutMasters rear conversion kit.
Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts or concerns.

Attachments

• 1988-1991 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    1988-1991 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1992-2002 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    1992-2002 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3
  • rear susp_1988 Oldsmobile Toronado.jpg
    rear susp_1988 Oldsmobile Toronado.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2
  • rear susp_1988 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    rear susp_1988 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2
  • rear susp_1992 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    rear susp_1992 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 2
  • rear susp_1993 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    rear susp_1993 Cadillac Eldorado.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 3
  • StrutMasters Air Susp Conversion Kit.jpg
    StrutMasters Air Susp Conversion Kit.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 3

Rocketguy

Reaction score
Why do you want to go to all that effort to convert it to regular struts? The G87 load leveling suspension is far superior, and not that much $$ more to restore.

G

G-756195

Why do you want to go to all that effort to convert it to regular struts? The G87 load leveling suspension is far superior, and not that much $$ more to restore.
I would rather restore it to original but in 4 months I have yet to be able to acquire the replacement parts that have been discontinued. Every time I place an order and pay, 1 to 2 weeks later I’m reimbursed and informed not available.
Do you have a source I can use?

shepard.te

Reaction score
Why do you want to go to all that effort to convert it to regular struts? The G87 load leveling suspension is far superior, and not that much $$ more to resto

Thanks for your response. I've been unsuccessfully attempting to restore it to the original suspension components since July 11th due to the parts being discontinued and/or unavailable. Every time I "found" a listing for my much-needed parts, I purchased them right then on to be notified anywhere from a couple days to two weeks later that those parts were unavailable and no longer in stock and that my funds were being refunded to me. This has been my experience six times thus far. Covid caused the production of many GM parts to be discontinued. I discovered this when I was managing the collision center for a GMC BUICK dealership. If you have access to the rear suspension parts, please share this with me.

shepard.te

Reaction score
Thanks to David North, I was able to purchase a set. They are installed. Only now waiting to get my window motors replaced that I just received. My passenger window goes all the way down but only halfway up and stops and grinds. Fun, fun.

trofeo92

Reaction score
So I also need some rear air shocks for my 92 toronado. Can anyone help?