Reading check engine codes, 94 cutlass

cowboyjdo

Reaction score
This forum doesn't allow me to attach images, so I created my own webpage to include images. Here is the url address for the images: 94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I have a '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.1 L V6 engine. Under the dash, (see FIGURE 1 image) that shows OBD1 (ALDL) connector, a 12 hole square plug and it only has three terminals in it. After googling the info, it appears that the plug I have is the pin=A, pin=M and pin=J. According to FIGURE 2: the terminal J is not to be used, only A and M. Pin=A is a ground terminal, and Pin=M is a serial data. Under the hood (see FIGURE 3), the label printed OBD1 Certified.

I used to have a '93 GMC Sonoma that had the A and B terminals of the plug and used a jumper wire between pin=A and pin=B to flash the trouble codes, but the '94 Olds does not.

The GM OBD1 Code Reader I ordered from Amazon doesn't support the '94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

I have had no luck to locate the proper scanner to scan the diagnostics of this vehicle.

Uncle Larry

Reaction score
I have a 1994 Ciera with a 3.1. I purchased a SUPER AutoScanner CP9145 with a GM ALDL Cable CP9127. Or use the SUPER AutoScanner Kit CP9150. This will read read all codes, show live data, etc. I also purchased adapter cables for Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc. I have used it to read codes on all of them.