Reading check engine codes, 94 cutlass

winston3338

Reaction score
Reading check engine codes, 94 cutlass
Does anyone recognize the connector below thats in a 1994 Olds cutlass supreme. In the article below it tells how to jump terminals A and B to get the codes but the location of my terminals inside it are in different locations and I don't know what terminals would be A and B. Our local auto zones only check 1996 and up.

This is the article
http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm...codes-free.php

and this is a jack from a Internet picture (not mine) but I have marked where my terminals are.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n.../connector.jpg

poncho48

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you have a OBD 1.5 set up. The computer is an OBD I and the connector is for an OBD II. Only the dealer can read the codes.

winston3338

Reaction score
Hello poncho48, I'm sorry I never received a notification of your reply. I did buy and try a GM #3123 DIAGNOSTIC CODE READER 82-95 CARS & TRUCKS and it did not work. I sold it on ebay. The sticker under the hood
says
OBD I. Thanks for your reply and it seems your right.

Last edited:

tijoha

Reaction score
same type plug in

winston were you able to get something to read the codes or able to jump and get codes for this or did you have to take to professional. I have same type plug in on my 95 olds cutlass supreme. thanks

winston3338

Reaction score
Hi tijoha, No I have never found a way to read the codes on this connector. I had to have the heads redone and the light stayed off for quite a while but has recently started to come on once in awhile while driving and then resets after I turn the car off. I have bought code readers on ebay that said they were for this type of jack and never worked. Please let me know if you find any information. Thanks

bobthetoyman

Reaction score
check engine code

To get the codes,you must connect A & B terminals (these are the 2 on the upper right corner of the ALDL connector under the dash on the drivers side). You can use a piece of wire or bend a paper clip. You must connect with car off, then turn the ignition on but do not start the car, this will start flashing the check engine light. It will flash once, pause and then flash twice. This is a code 12 saying you are in the diagnostic mode. It will flash code 12 3 times. After that it will start to flash the codes you have stored in the computer. It will flash each code 3 times and then go on to flash the next code. When all the codes are flashed, it will flash the code 12 again 3 times. It will keep repeating all codes, then flash 12 over and over until you turn the key off. DO NOT PULL THE WIRE OUT OF THE ALDL UNTIL YOU SHUT THE KEY OFF, you could damage the computer. You then have to look up the code.

Last edited:

revon

Reaction score
The terminals would have been "A & M", but jumping them out will not flash out a code, you'll need a scanner. Auto x-ray makes a decent one for a couple hundred bucks. It will do both OBD1 and OBD2 and for most cars, it will not do the mercedes with the big round plug under the hood.

Last edited:

bobthetoyman

Reaction score
NO, it's terminal A & B, and it will flash the codes, I just did mine. If you are connecting A & M you won't get the codes and might hurt the ECM

revon

Reaction score
Ahhh, Bob, Not on a 94 supreme, it's "A" & "M", and as I said, it won't jump and flash out a code.

winston3338

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the replies and thanks for the heads up revon. I had forgot all about this post. I did end up at a shop months later and I can't remember or find the codes right now but they thought one was a short in a wire harness and I can't remember the other one.

I'll keep trying to find the codes they found. The light still goes on once in awhile but the shop didn't think it was worth the money to try to find the problems as they were minor.

Ryano

Reaction score
Around here O'Riles auto parts has the right scanner and cable for these cars! There is no charge, but there is a deposit to get it out the door to pull the codes. Auto zone and Advanced auto do not offer any scanner to loan for OBDI.

winston3338

Reaction score
Around here O'Riles auto parts has the right scanner and cable for these cars! There is no charge, but there is a deposit to get it out the door to pull the codes. Auto zone and Advanced auto do not offer any scanner to loan for OBDI.
Hi Ryano, we don't have O'Riles or Advanced Auto in Las Vegas but, we do have Auto Zones but like you posted, they don't do OBDI. They only do 95 or 96 and up. Thanks for your reply.

winston3338

Reaction score
Oh wow, I didn't even realize that and I've lived here 32 years. I guess I've been a Checker and Auto Zone man to long. I'll check them out. Thanks again

** Hey Ryano, If you see this, Someone just emailed me and it makes perfect sense now. O'Reilly's is Checker Auto in Las Vegas. Thats why I had never heard of them. You spelled it a little differently **

Last edited:

Ryano

Reaction score
You spelled it a little differently **

Yes! spelling is a weak point.

Just give them a call and see if thay loan out the Autoxray code reader, you will have to tell them what OBD your car is to get the right cable. After you get the reader you will have to configure your cars Make, Model, Year, and maybe a letter from your Vin #, Thats what I had to do on My 95 olds cutlass OBDI (sometime called OBD 11/2) The connector under the dash has 16 pins just like obd2, but in our case its a obd1.

Let us know what codes you get.

winston3338

Reaction score
Yes! spelling is a weak point.

Just give them a call and see if thay loan out the Autoxray code reader, you will have to tell them what OBD your car is to get the right cable. After you get the reader you will have to configure your cars Make, Model, Year, and maybe a letter from your Vin #, Thats what I had to do on My 95 olds cutlass OBDI (sometime called OBD 11/2) The connector under the dash has 16 pins just like obd2, but in our case its a obd1.

Let us know what codes you get.
Thanks Ryano, I never new you answered this. I have to check why I don't get notifications anymore. I'll check today, All of our old Checker auto's are now O'Riles so I know them well.