Pulling diagnostic codes

touringsedan

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1994 Olds Ninety Eight. The check engine light is coming on and off intermittently. It is running fine, but I have noticed a slight drop in fuel economy. I'm thinking it might simply need an O2 sensor, but I want to be sure before I purchase one. It has 117K on it, so it likely needs replacing anyway.

I have an OBDII scanner that will not pull the codes. I get an error message. I took it to Auto Zone and they got the same message with their scanner.

After some research online, I see some 1994's-1995's have the OBDII connector but are indeed running the old OBDI system, and that OBD was not manditory until 1996. So I have a feeling that is what I have here, an OBDI system with an OBDII connector.

I have a scan key device to read the codes on my 1992 Olds 88, which is easier than climbing under the dash to jump the a-b terminals. This device has a different plug for the old OBDI system, so it of course will not work on my Ninety Eight.

How do I pull the codes on this car? Is there a way to jump terminals like on my older car? I certainly don't want to fry the ECM messing around!

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Drewet88

Reaction score
well from what I can google I didn't see anything that said you could. My friend had the same problem and he ended up having the dealership do it. I would say if you have a buick dealership by you and don't mind paying you can have them pull the codes.

Don't go around messing around with the plug you really don't want to have to pay for a new ecm on top of everything.

Maybe 1 of the oldsmobile gurus can help you out they may know the correct terminals to jump.

touringsedan

Reaction score
Well I certainly am not going to do anything that might cause me to need a new ECM, that's for sure!

My step brother has a repair business and he finally answered my email, saying this car does have a OBD I system with an OBD II plug. He says he sees them all of the time in the 94-95 BOP's. He says my only options are as you suggest Drew... have someone pull the codes for me or pony up the money and buy a scantool that will. Knowing what it will cost me to have codes pulled, and since I plan on keeping this Olds for a while, I guess I'll pony up this weekend!

Thanks,
Mike

slipknot1fn

Reaction score
I dont know if you have an O' Reilly around your house BUT.. they have a scanner that can read these models with the 16 pin DLC but still only has like 8 pins used (configured for OBD I still I'm guessing) Theyll loan it to you in exchange for your debit card and license or theyre 199.99. They come with all the cables to read OBD I and OBD II models and even thos dreaded OBD 1.5 models. I just used one today and ended up buying one cause its super easy to use and i figure why not?