problem: 2000 olds intrigue. overheats when parked or

ELENI G

Reaction score
slow traffic.? I HAVE A 2000 OLDS INTRIGUE.LAST SEPTEMBER MY CAR STARTED TO OVERHEAT AND I TOOK IT IN FOR SERVICE RIGHT AWAY.THEY RUN ALL TESTS AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH ELECTRICAL, THERMOSTAT WAS REPLACED, FLUSHED THE RADIATOR AND REFILLED IT, WATER PUMP WAS CHECKED AND REPLACED THE GUSKETS. TWO MONTHS LATER I GET THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT ON AND THE NIDDLE FOR TEMPETURE GOES TO 3/4 WHEN THE TRAFFIC IS SLOW AND ALSO WHEN A STOP . BEFORE I TAKE MY CAR IN I'LL LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH A SIMILAR CAR AND WHAT WAS DONE TO FIX THE PROBLEM. THANKS

tech

Reaction score
First, be sure the coolant is not low. If it is full, it sounds like your electric cooling fans are not coming on. The check engine light is probably because of the overheat. With the car running, turn on the AC or defrost. Do the radiator fans come on? If so, your problem is likely a fan relay, as your car uses the same sensor for the computer (which controls the fans) and the gauge, so it is working.Either way, a bad fan or relay, it's not a big deal to fix. Labor either way is right about 1 hour, a relay is about $30, fan motors can be pretty expensive. Factory fans run $151 dollars for one, $223 for the other. You can get just the motors aftermarket, and use the original fan blades and mountings. Much cheaper.

MICHAEL J P

Reaction score
I worked for olds. for 10 years, You have a cooling fan problem, a bad fan motor, or a bad coolant temp sensor. The key is to have your tech see the vehicle when cond. is occuring! This could also set your eng. lite! Mike

lifetime rocker

Reaction score
It sounds like poor air flow at the radaitor most likely the cooling fan is not coming on. try changing the coolant sensor.

stallion1948_lloyd

Reaction score
did they check the fan,to see if its working.does it heat up or does it just show hot?the reason i ask,was it could be just the sending unit showing hot,when its not.you might check the fan,it might not be working.

festeringhump

Reaction score
I agree with the cooling fan not coming on.You can try turning on the air conditioner,if equipped.This will usually engage the fan until you can get it checked out.

dodge man

Reaction score
i own a repair shop,and there's a problem with those cars with the cooling fans not coming on when they should they have a relay that goes bad on them,for the cooling fan and it doesn't allow the fan to come on at the temperature it should,when you take it in to have it looked at remind the mechanic that the cooling fan probably isn't coming on,,and he should know what to do for it,i have run across this problem a lot with those cars from 95- 2000 seems to be the worse ones for doing that,but that's probably whats causing it to do that,,good luck with it,i hope this help,s.

LittleHoov

Reaction score
I will chime in again with agreeing it to be the fan, also, you have 3 different relays that affect the fans on your car, so when testing make sure that BOTH fans come on when you turn the AC on. They should also come on high speed, meaning it will be moving a good amount of air.

Jrb

Reaction score
i own a repair shop,and there's a problem with those cars with the cooling fans not coming on when they should they have a relay that goes bad on them,for the cooling fan and it doesn't allow the fan to come on at the temperature it should,when you take it in to have it looked at remind the mechanic that the cooling fan probably isn't coming on,,and he should know what to do for it,i have run across this problem a lot with those cars from 95- 2000 seems to be the worse ones for doing that,but that's probably whats causing it to do that,,good luck with it,i hope this help,s.
Thanks where is the relay location ,U speak of ?