Post your 98's miles!

radioman

Reaction score
Radioman here with a 1981 Olds 98 Regency Snd 4 window notch roof car.
40,000 original miles, orig paint and everything except tires and tune up.
#16 built for the year at Lansing its a real head turner!!!

Light blue metalic with a dark blue padded top and dark blue velour coushioned interior. Fact 8 track and power ariel work 100%

Fat whitewall royal seal tires and spoke caps set it off great!!

1994Olds98

Reaction score
My 94 Oldsmobile 98 regency just hit 140,000 miles the other day...all original just maintenance except i cant drive it now because the brake pedal just goes to the floor and barely brakes so i think it might be the master cylinder for the brakes but im not driving it for the time being because its not worth the chance of wrecking it

96OldsNinetyEight

Reaction score
Got my 1993 Regency almost 6 years ago at roughly 140k. Hard to believe it's been that long! Has 185k now.

Bought it for $700 because it was ugly -- peeling paint, minor dent in rear, etc. A/C has never blown cold. Eventually I'll replace the compressor with R134a. For some reason, the compressor doesn't kick in anymore when I turn on the A/C. And when I first start up the engine, the temp gauge blinks for a minute. Know what that's about?

So far, in no particular order:

Put some Michelins on it.

Pads and one caliper. One rotor.

One wheel hub assembly.

Radiator.

I have a spare brake master cylinder that I haven't installed. I noticed a slight leak below it where it mounts to the firewall.

The power steering pump (I think) is leaking. Fluid is being slung about by the belt. I need a new belt too.

Some rubber hoses need to be replaced.

Basic stuff like fuel filter I've done and need to do again. Same with plugs and wires. I haven't done the PCV yet. Need to. I use only full synthetic oil. Mid-grade gas.

I'm going to try adding some fuel and oil additives to clean things out.

Someone tried to steal it once. Busted up the column housing and innards. Still looking for a new one! I think the ignition switch was misaligned before that anyway. Occasionally, I'd turn the key and nothing. Now, I engage the switch "manually" on the left side of the column. I bypassed the security with a resistor matching the one in the key.

I need a left front fender if anyone has one. It was cracked when I bought it. It came without a radio. I'd like to find the stock radio so I can use the steering wheel controls. Got one cheap?

Window switches suck. Door lock switches suck.

Overall though, this car kicks ass. I plan on keeping it a long time. Until gas becomes unaffordable anyway.
The temp light blinks because...I forget why. But you can just unplug the sensor, shut car off, plug sensor in and it will stop blinking. The sensor is in front of the radiator and accessible through the front bumper. Check the forums, I have a thread out about it with a better description of what to do.

BobbyW

Reaction score
1988 98 Regency Brougham with 106K miles.
All original, garage kept. Almost never outside in rain or snow (never snow, they use salt here in Chicago).

I think it may be good for another 23 years.

Bobby

TennesseeTom

Reaction score
Just found this site, glad to be here.

I'm driving a 1990 Regency brougham 98.

at 154,000, the transmission was rebuilt.

currently at 180,381 and I have the steering column out to fix a wobble caused by 4 reverse torx bolts. Have it ready to go back in but not before I replace:

the wiper motor
the evaporator coil
the electronic climate control unit

have all the parts for the remaining things, just haven't found the time yet.

daily driver, runs great. Cruise control is broken too but will get to it eventually. (don't really need it)

aftermarket head unit, 3 1/2 bostons 6x9 4way pioneers and a triple 8" jl w3 sub system off a soundstream rubicon

Paid about 150 for the stereo total, just things laying around mostly.

love the car, love the site, time to start digging!

oh yeah, and the keyless entry is a joke.

kcyrhw

Reaction score
oldsmobile

I have a 1989 98 regancy brougham oldsmobile and i have 195,560 on.it and still going.
i all so get 34 miles to the gallon on the highway.
the only thing that has happen the ac pump went out.
and the trany gasget keeps leeking trans fulid but onther than that i
have not had any marjor problems with it.,
I would like to know where i can get a DIC information center i can not find one i my state. that is seperate from the dash.

freebirdforever

Reaction score
1996 oldsmobile 98 Regency Elite.
186,548 miles, 35-40 MPG in the summer, 25-30 in winter.

Only problem I have is a crack in the radiator (partially) fixed with Stop Leak.

pogster

Reaction score
'95 Ninety Eight Regency Elite, all the options except sunroof, 59755 miles or 96167 km. Runs, looks and operates like new.

CoventryCat86

Reaction score
1996 Regency Elite 143,000 miles. It was a one owner, little old lady from Florida & New Jersey and it looks like it was always garaged, she turned 79 this year, donated the car to a charity who sold it to me. Engine and transmission appear to be original.

I had a '94 98 Regency but it was a rust bucket. The body mounts for the sub-frame literally rotted away making the car pretty much not drivable. I still have it for parts, it only has 125,000 or so.

evamarie7

Reaction score
i have a 1984 regency 98 with 70,000 , everything original although the vinyl roof needs replacing and the headliner is starting to sag, will get around to it this summer

Polymath

Reaction score
Got my 1993 Regency almost 6 years ago at roughly 140k. Hard to believe it's been that long! Has 185k now.

Bought it for $700 because it was ugly -- peeling paint, minor dent in rear, etc. A/C has never blown cold. Eventually I'll replace the compressor with R134a. For some reason, the compressor doesn't kick in anymore when I turn on the A/C. And when I first start up the engine, the temp gauge blinks for a minute. Know what that's about?

So far, in no particular order:

Put some Michelins on it.

Pads and one caliper. One rotor.

One wheel hub assembly.

Radiator.

I have a spare brake master cylinder that I haven't installed. I noticed a slight leak below it where it mounts to the firewall.

The power steering pump (I think) is leaking. Fluid is being slung about by the belt. I need a new belt too.

Some rubber hoses need to be replaced.

Basic stuff like fuel filter I've done and need to do again. Same with plugs and wires. I haven't done the PCV yet. Need to. I use only full synthetic oil. Mid-grade gas.

I'm going to try adding some fuel and oil additives to clean things out.

Someone tried to steal it once. Busted up the column housing and innards. Still looking for a new one! I think the ignition switch was misaligned before that anyway. Occasionally, I'd turn the key and nothing. Now, I engage the switch "manually" on the left side of the column. I bypassed the security with a resistor matching the one in the key.

I need a left front fender if anyone has one. It was cracked when I bought it. It came without a radio. I'd like to find the stock radio so I can use the steering wheel controls. Got one cheap?

Window switches suck. Door lock switches suck.

Overall though, this car kicks ass. I plan on keeping it a long time. Until gas becomes unaffordable anyway.
Well, two years and eight months later, and it's about to hit 220,000 miles - and still going strong!

Since my last post, I've done:

- three more wheel bearing hubs

- brake master cylinder, a caliper, pads, wheel cylinders, and shoes
* For some reason, the back brakes don't self-adjust for the emergency brake

- throttle position sensor (twice; first replacement was defective)
*cleaned the throttle body while I was at it

- plugs and wires

- coil packs and ignition control module

That's all I can think of for now.

ReggieEL

Reaction score
My '92 has 65,775 miles. I love the car. I am looking forward to having it for a very very long time.

95olds98regency

Reaction score
95 olds 98 regency elite 1

just turned 150k the other day and still runs strong after a long of repair form the previous owner and still a lot to go. since i got this car last july and then it sat for 3 or 4 months waiting on a title i finally got the title and started work on it.

Exterior
i got rid of the ugly aftermarket grille and found a nice oem in the salvage yard. also aligned the hood and replaced the broken turn signal lense and tail light and pulled the dent out of the rear door a little to make it open and close better but still got a long ways to go.

Engine
For what i have done to the engine is the normal maintenance items (oil, air, spark) along with the upper intake and the lower intake gasket and the one coolant line which was a whole fiscal and didn't need done cause the culprit was the water pump. got a new air box since mine was destroyed and a new headlight mounting bracket. i suspect that is has been in a few accidents but none serve enough to get reported. it has newer headlights on it. i just put a new ac compressor/accumulator on it but now i am having trouble getting it to kick on so i suspect the digital climate control since the passengers side is wacky. i also put in a new fuel pump/filter/rubber lines. i need to replace the one o ring on the one hose in the engine bay i have it so it won't leak (basically played with the o ring a bit and it sealed back up). i also put in a new ac delco temp sensor (since that is the only one that will work). replaced the pcv valve.

Interior
for the interior i fixed the seats recline function just to get stuck again so i need a better solution. i got a new/used oh shit handle. and that is about it i need a drivers door panel bad and a passengers as well but the color is just hard to find, also one of the overhead console doors is missing.

Trunk
I ended up putting a whole new trunk in it because it was missing so i pulled it out of park avenue which also had the nice heavy duty mat liner in it. i now know why it was missing cause i got really wet in there and now i got to find the hole in my trunk. i suspect by the taillight on the passengers side.

Upgrades to come
I want to add the cornering lights so i pick up a set out of the salvage yard with the harness to the split. i have a feeling that i am going to figure a way out to integrate it into the harness somehow some way.
i also got a auto dimming rear view mirror which is the same way but i think i can splice it into the interior lights.
i also got some of the 98 letters that i would like to add to the quarter panel

Repairs to get done
find the hole in the trunk
finish the a/c repair
new spark plug wires (which i have)
new maf sensor (on the way)
o ring replace on fuel line in engine
possible a cat converter (not sure now since it runs better after replacing the pcv valve)

Attachments

95olds98regency

Reaction score
more pics

i also upgraded the stereo to a cd/cassette unit from the 97 i had before i wrecked it and i need to fix all the chrome trim and repair the car since it is a peeler.

Attachments

hawgfan

Reaction score
1995 Regency Elite, 131,000, three previous owners, always garaged. Bought it from the son of the second owner. Needs bumpers painted and want to find some chrome trim on a roll that is close to what the factory put on the bumpers.
Previous vehicles include a 1983 98 Regency 2 door, 164,000 miles, 1984 Brougham 4 door, 138,000 miles, 1982 Brougham 4 door showed 84,000 but I am sure was 184,000, and 1986 Custom Cruiser (woodgrain delete) every option but sunroof, 184,000 miles.