Post your 98's miles!

96OldsNinetyEight

Reaction score
Let's see how many miles we all have! Post any rebuilds and modifications done also.

96OldsNinetyEight - Tranny, 2nd and currently @ 124,000 -Original Engine, (stock everything, just maintenance) @ 289,000 -Body, 289,000

199098RB

Reaction score
My 1990 has just over 90,000 miles on it on original drivetrain with the last 4,000 on it since I bought the car a few months ago. Still looks original even after being wrecked and repaired three times before I bought the car. It also has an aftermarket stereo, but nothing else. Needs a little clearcoat on the right front fender and front bumper as well as a repaint on the mirrors, but that's about it. Hope mine will eventually make it 250,000+ also, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score
1995 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite Series II. 72,600 miles. Original. All stock. Updated the stereo with the top level Oldsmobile stereo for 1995. Dyed carpets to original color, dyed leather seats due to fading and cracking. Redid headliner due to sagging. Everything else is factory.

Maintain and fixed other parts. Will go into body shop to paint scratches on right side.

TalltomPS

Reaction score
1975 Olds 98 Regency. 53,591 Original Miles. Removed Vinyl top, added cornering lamps and deluxe wheel covers. Had car totally sanded down to bare metal and repainted original color. Interior all original Clock and Power antenna still work!

1984 Olds 98 Regency Brougham: 105,236 miles. Rebuilt Transmission, Repainted in original color. Replaced opera lamps. Runs Great!!

Royale

Reaction score
pff, you guys have youngsters, :)

90 Regency Brougham, 372,000 and counting. Cleaned out the rear exhaust manifold restriction and added the FE3 suspension parts 5 years ago.

was fairly pristene for the miles but my daughter side swiped the passenger side abit, and "somehow" another time the front bumper recieved damage, not real bad but its no longer perty. It will be fixed this summer. Its gold with brown velour, looks exactly like the car on the 90 owners manual, I love the color and the color of the interior is warm too once you get used to it.

Last edited:

96OldsNinetyEight

Reaction score
pff, you guys have youngsters, :)

90 Regency Brougham, 372,000 and counting. Cleaned out the rear exhaust manifold restriction and added the FE3 suspension parts 5 years ago.

was fairly pristene for the miles but my daughter side swiped the passenger side abit, and "somehow" another time the front bumper recieved damage, not real bad but its no longer perty. It will be fixed this summer. Its gold with brown velour, looks exactly like the car on the 90 owners manual, I love the color and the color of the interior is warm too once you get used to it.
That's a 3800 Series II V6, correct? Or basically the same motor? And I thought I had high miles!! Any tips on getting there?

Royale

Reaction score
No, it a LN3-C thats basically the first of the series I engines though they dont really call it that. The LN3 was used from 88-91, then the L27 was 91-95/96, then the L36 96/97 on. I forget how the transition to the SII L36 took place. Most previous engines ran a year or at least part of a year consecutively with its replacement depending on model with the upscale models getting the newer engine first. The first of the fully electronic FWD V6 was the LG2 '86 and LG3 86-87, which was quite different in that it had no balance shaft and the pistons were "offset" bores, based closely to the RWD 3.8's. The 88 LN3-C was a complete redesign so technically was the first of the S I motors but for some reason is not called that. I dont think "series I" was even a "tag" until the series II came out. Series II was again a considerable redesign.

As for the miles I bought it with 320,000 so Im only responsible for the last 50,000. Change oil, dont beat them to death, fix stuff when they throw codes, probably all it takes.

I did realise after I posted that you have the highest miles I've heard of on a '96, I was only glancing quickly when I saw 120,000 and didnt realise that was just for your tranny.

I also have a 90 Ciera SL Cruiser with the 3300, little brother to the 3800 that has 240,000 miles and still runs like new.

Then I have a 97 LSS w/140,000

and a 86 LeSabre with the 3.0, little brother to the old 3.8 with 150,000

had a 91 Regal for 3-4 years with the L27 that had 260,000 when I traded it

miles mean nothing to these engines when they are taken care of, too many people keep running them when theres some major fault like failing emission control systems or headgaskets. Anything man made can be broken faster than it took to make.

96OldsNinetyEight

Reaction score
No, it a LN3-C thats basically the first of the series I engines though they dont really call it that. The LN3 was used from 88-91, then the L27 was 91-95/96, then the L36 96/97 on. I forget how the transition to the SII L36 took place. Most previous engines ran a year or at least part of a year consecutively with its replacement depending on model with the upscale models getting the newer engine first. The first of the fully electronic FWD V6 was the LG2 '86 and LG3 86-87, which was quite different in that it had no balance shaft and the pistons were "offset" bores, based closely to the RWD 3.8's. The 88 LN3-C was a complete redesign so technically was the first of the S I motors but for some reason is not called that. I dont think "series I" was even a "tag" until the series II came out. Series II was again a considerable redesign.

As for the miles I bought it with 320,000 so Im only responsible for the last 50,000. Change oil, dont beat them to death, fix stuff when they throw codes, probably all it takes.

I did realise after I posted that you have the highest miles I've heard of on a '96, I was only glancing quickly when I saw 120,000 and didnt realise that was just for your tranny.

I also have a 90 Ciera SL Cruiser with the 3300, little brother to the 3800 that has 240,000 miles and still runs like new.

Then I have a 97 LSS w/140,000

and a 86 LeSabre with the 3.0, little brother to the old 3.8 with 150,000

had a 91 Regal for 3-4 years with the L27 that had 260,000 when I traded it

miles mean nothing to these engines when they are taken care of, too many people keep running them when theres some major fault like failing emission control systems or headgaskets. Anything man made can be broken faster than it took to make.
That's very true.

And yes the car has 289,000 on the engine and body right now. The engine doesn't burn much oil at all and doesn't have any oil leaks so I have not ever compression tested it. Since you've never heard of a higher mileage '96 I'm feeling the pressure! The body is straight as an arrow but has a cracked front bumper and some clear peel on the back bumper. No rust besides some minimal surface rust. It has been driven every winter but two. Ha, well I'll keep posting back to the forum but as far as I can tell everything is fine. A new fuel filter, oil change/filter, lube of suspension, wash and clay bar will be done this spring.

The car gets taken care of well but it takes care of me.

Last edited:

Royale

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of that these cars have been parked due to engine problems (besides idiots that "blew them up" because they could) is the hydroing of the series II NA engines due to manifold gasket failure and the very early 3.8's due to wore out timing gear and disintigration of the nylon toothed timing gears.

So mileage on solid survivers has never bothered me, most have been junked due to rust out, fuel/brake lines/tank, accidents, transmission and the way some people view the "value" of a car. If the cars "only books" for 1000 and it needs 1000 tranny they decide to spend 10,000 on the next car and junk the Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac instead. The early anti lock brake systems sent many to the yard as well because people couldnt afford to fix them or have enough brains to eliminate them and transfer non anti lock systems over.

Then it depends whos working on a car too, most mechanics ream customers so bad they just hate their cars and are scared to death of them. Problem is most just move on to the next "piece of junk" and start all over on a car they know nothing about. I like mine because I know them inside and out and they never scare me. I know whats getting wore out long before I need to replace it.

tonkinz

Reaction score
I have a 1989 98 Regency. It has 77k original miles. I replaced the brake lines, all 4 brakes and rotors, new Yokohama Avids, converted the rear air shocks to passive shocks, stock stereo. Body is in good shape, no rust, a few dings and the clearcoat is peeling in the roof as well as the headliner sag normal for these cars.

tipsymcstager

Reaction score
hi, new here so...........this is one of mine. picked it up this jan.
1995, all stock,all the toys but the XM,and 6 new speakers, sun roof,digital dash,TC(killer in the snow)(stock)CD & tape player,blue int, needs rear struts(lol) 110,500 ml new motor at 109,000 (oil pump (i guess?) went on the hiway don't know why, never heard of that in a 3800 with just over a hundred) but by the time i got to the side of the road it was toast!

also have a "95" but red int,(no sun roof) with 145,500 on it
with a rod knock owned that one for the last seven years (put 60 grand on that OD)

MikeS

Reaction score
Odd that you have such severe problems with the Series II. Other than the intake manifold problem, they are on somebody's list (forgot who's) as one of the 10 best U.S. engines ever built.

As for the pic posting problem, it might be because it exceeds the KB limit. The easiest way that I've found (I'm sure there are other ways just as easy) is to use IrfanView (free, and a great photo editor) to re-size the photo. Irfanview has a plug-in at their site that installs effortlessly that allows you to simply specify the size you want the picture to resize to.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score
Odd that you have such severe problems with the Series II. Other than the intake manifold problem, they are on somebody's list (forgot who's) as one of the 10 best U.S. engines ever built.

As for the pic posting problem, it might be because it exceeds the KB limit. The easiest way that I've found (I'm sure there are other ways just as easy) is to use IrfanView (free, and a great photo editor) to re-size the photo. Irfanview has a plug-in at their site that installs effortlessly that allows you to simply specify the size you want the picture to resize to.

It was Ward's ten best engines. It was for several years. The 3800 was on the Ward's 10 Best Engines of the 20th century list, and is one of the most-produced engines in history. To date, over 25 million have been produced.

Production of the 3800 V6 engine officially ended on Friday, August 22, 2008 when plant 36 was closed. There was a closing ceremony and speakers who extolled the virtues of the engine. Originally GM had set this date for January 1, 1999; however, due to the vast number of complaints from both investors and customers because of the popularity and reliability of the engine, the date was extended. At the end of production, the LZ4 3500 OHV V6 replaced the naturally aspirated 3800 applications, and the LY7 3600 DOHC V6 replaced the supercharged 3800 applications

tipsymcstager

Reaction score
:rolleyes: looks like they posted!
don't think i gave it enough time,moderator feel free to delete the 2nd posting:p

ya,don't know why the motor went after only 100 grand, just one
of those thing's i guess.
a head after 145 or so i can understand, but i'll still stack up the GM 3800
as a great engine. right up there with the likes of the 225ci slant six & the
300ci (ford) inline six.

Royale

Reaction score
anti-freeze in the oil, over extended oil changes or severe overheating, lack of oil are the only things that should take out a bearing in a 38

That 47 is a small filter and too many miles will make it hit the bypass sending unfiltered oil into the journals. All 38 should run the PF52, its bigger and it fits, 6000 mile on Mobile 1 and your golden. I use ONLY AC delco filters and only PF52's. Rapid jiffy lubes are not wise, they forget to tighten oil plug, over tighten them stripping them out, use cheap filters and cheap oil. 50% of the worlds mechanics out there believe highly in job security as well, rice mentality also reeks havoc on domestic cars, if your mechanic is young and drives rice, they hate your car, find a new mechanic.

My tips for today

Royale

Reaction score
PS - The black on white car looks good but the black appears to be done with a computor tool.

tipsymcstager

Reaction score
BUSTED...........................LOL!

it is! good eye.
i was trying out different colors on the plastic belt molding.
tryed a light blue to match the int.
didn't like that. tryed a light like factory gray.
didn't like that ether, so black it was!

the original the white on white, just don't stand out for me.

one week later after purchase, painted. (no really lol)

tipsymcstager

Reaction score
LOL.................busted!

ya, i was trying out different colors on the bottom belt line.
tryed a lite blue to match the int, didn't like it.
tryed the lite gray and well........., it looks very elegant
like the one on the manual,but thats not what i was looking for.

(say that clear hood is kind'a cool i wonder if that was a factory optionLOL)

this is the original pic when i purchased it.

kind of plain and lacking that white on white, i think the black looks shall
we say "more manly" imo.

i was thinking of blacking out the grill and the space between the tail lights
what'ya think?

as you can see i did paint the belt line black, i like it.

but to do the chrome right it would need to be striped first. and thats a drag!
i'd leave the fins in the openings chrome like the pic i did