Oldsmobiles that influenced Holden

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the Holden division(GM Australia ). I have felt their cars look like Oldsmobiles for quite some time. Look closely. The 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado influenced the first Holden Monaro. I spotted other examples I have posted here.

Holden Statesman

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

1990-1993 Holden Statesman/Caprice

1991-1996 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

1999-2003 Holden Caprice

1993-1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight

1990 Holden Statesman

1992-1997 Oldsmobile Achieva

2004 Holden Statesman

1994-1996 Oldsmobile 98

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, is that a new pic? I didn't notice the Statesman the first time around. I'd love to see more pictures of that car.. It's very nice...

Marc

Reaction score
The Holden Statesman and the Cutlass Supreme
pictured at the top have very similar designs.
I don't think that's coincidental.

GM!!! SAVE OLDS!!!

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree Marc. I did this thread to point that out. Holden has more of an Oldsmobile thing going for it that we know. That is why it would have been so easy to sell them as "OLDSMOBILE". I think GM thought about bring Holden here before deciding to "phase out" Oldsmobile. I still say it could work too.

Here is another one:

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Holden Commodore HSV

Marc

Reaction score
VERY similar appearances. I'm wondering what the Holden
Commodore HSV has for an engine. Also, is it RWD or FWD?
The Holden is the one GM car that I know virtually nothing
about.

GM!!! SAVE OLDS!!!

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score
Marc, Holdens are RWD. They are the GM company working on the Sigma Lite platform which will be called Zeta. They will use this platform here too. Here are some links:

http://www.holden.com.au

http://www.holdenhistory.com/

More Holdens that look like Oldsmobiles (Oldsmobile Ninety Eight)
:D

The VQ series Holdens saw the return of the long-wheelbase Statesman and Caprice nameplates last seen in late 1984. The DeVille tag was no longer used and the Caprice was no longer referred to as a Statesman. The two models were now known as the Holden Statesman and the Holden Caprice.

These large luxury cars were based on the successful VN Commodore with one important mechanical addition: independent rear suspension. Although many imported cars featured IRS, the VQ was the first Australian-designed and manufactured car thus equipped.

Styling was very VN, with the main changes being a new front bumper and a classy grille attached to the bonnet, similar to those on some Mercedes Benz cars. The C-pillar was given an 'all-glass' look and the rear number plate was lit from above and relocated to a recess in the rear bumper, the old VN number plate light aperture being blanked off.

The model lineup was straightforward with the well-equipped Statesman priced just above the VN Calais V8 and the luxurious Caprice the most expensive Holden to date, at around $60 000. Part of the big price was due to the federal government's new luxury car sales tax.

Both cars were fitted with 5.0-litre EFI V8 and TH 700 automatic, IRS, climate-control air-conditioning, power steering, power windows, central locking and multi-speaker surround sound systems as standard equipment.

HSV offered the high-performance SV90 and Statesman 5000i.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score

April 1980 and phased out in 1985

The 1980 WB series was the last of the so-called original full-size Holdens. Due to a number of factors, mainly the fuel crisis of the 1970s and the runaway success of the VB Commodore, the decision was made to discontinue the mainstream sedan and wagon varients.

The WB series consisted of only six models: four commercials and two Statesmans. Nameplates were as before, with the Holden one-tonner, Holden panelvan and Holden utility, and the Kingswood utility (the Kingswood panel van was deleted). The Statesman models were the DeVille and the Caprice.

The commercials were basically facelifted HZs with the main changes being new front panels, grille, headlight treatment and tail-light clusters. Interior were pure HZ from the dash fascia and instruments to the door trims, although the optional bucket seating (standard on Kingswood) had a new shape with adjustable head restraints, similar in style to the Statesman's. The one-tonner now had the same front grille and sheet metal as the panel van and utility (HJ / HX / HZ one-tonners had HQ front panels). Initially, the Kingswood ute had its own unique grille and headlights, which looked markedly better in appearence then its lower spec stablemates. This was rectified late in 1980 when all commercials were given the Kingswood frontal treatment.

Statesmans were more than a minor facelift of the HZ. They had virtually all-new exterior sheetmetal, with only the front doors and bonnet carrying over from their predecessors. An extra window was fitted to the C-pillars, significantly altering the roofline. Interiors also received a major redesign with an all new dash fascia, instruments and seating. The instruments featured two round units either side of the minor gauges, all mounted on a large flat fascia. Heater controls, sound system and the warning light cluster were fitted to the left of the instruments, on the same fascia.

The Statesman models received a minor facelift late in 1983 with the release of the Series II varients. The Series II saw upgrades to interior and exterior trim and equipment levels. The Caprice featured a new digital radio / cassette, electric mirrors and a dash mounted trip computer. The mirrors and trip computer were made available as an option for the DeVille.

Mechanically, the main improvements centred around the new engines. All WBs featured the XT5 versions of the sixes and V8s (Blue engines). These engines were essentially the same as had been recently introduced on the VC Commodore range, with different sumps and accessory mountings to suit the WB chassis.

Peter Brock's HDT organisation released their Magnum varient of the Series II DeVille and Caprice, which featured uprated suspension, Group 3 SS engine and Momo steering and road wheels as well as many other minor enhancements.

The Statesman and commercial were phased out of production early in 1985.

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know - it almost seems as if Oldsmobile is still alive with Holden..

Is there an Aurora-based Holden??

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score
No Aurora based Holdens sorry. Yes, my point exactly.... I always thought of Holden as the Oldsmobile of Australia. I do not about living on as Holden, but Holden was influenced a lot by Oldsmobile. When they were thinking of phasing Oldsmobile out, they should have just brought the Holdens here and sold them as Oldsmobiles or even built a factory here for that purpose. :D