oldsmobile intrigue warning lights issue?

mattcounlimited

Reaction score
i have a 2000 oldsmobile intrigue gl v6 3.5L. there are four lights that come up on the dash which are service vehicle soon. abs light, brake light, and the traction control off light. the traction control will not turn on and the brakes work fine with out them being anti lock but i would like to know what to do or what parts need to be replaced.
no i have already tried pressing the traction control button by the gear box. it still will not turn on

bsansa

Reaction score
First off you should have the codes dumped. This will tell you what the issue is. It could be a hub abs sensor, a broken abs sensor wire, etc. I had this issue and after replacing one of the front hubs (scanner told me it was an abs sensor "front right") the light would still come on. I found that a broken abs sensor wire was actually the cause. About 6-8 inches from the sensor end the wiring had rubbed a weak spot. It wasn't noticed since wire loom and waterproof tape were covering the wire. I give this as an example since the root cause of my problem was a wiring issue and NOT the actual hub itself.

Pay attention to what the codes are telling you and check all wiring.

billcarson

Reaction score
when this happened to my 2001, exactly as you describe it, it turned out to be the electronic brake control module which i had rebuilt at modulemaster.it was $160 plus a small shipping charge.you do not have to open the brake lines to do this job but it takes a little finese.google this job on an intrigue and good luck. p. s. that was almost a year ago and no lights on since.function returns to the traction control switch also.

Ted Hall

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.5L with the same problems as first posted.
We have the EBCM module ordered (part #73-8980 from A1 re-manufacturers) for 209.99 + tax.

Could anyone tell me where this module is located in order to save time replacing it?

Any replies greatly appreciated !

sparcx

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.5L with the same problems as first posted.
We have the EBCM module ordered (part #73-8980 from A1 re-manufacturers) for 209.99 + tax.

Could anyone tell me where this module is located in order to save time replacing it?

Any replies greatly appreciated !
make sure that's the brake control module (unless you have some other issue)

Electronic Brake & Traction Control Module (EBTCM/EBCM)

most people are sending them to someone like modulemaster for refurbishment rather than replace as they seemed to run over $500

Last edited:

Ted Hall

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, sparcx.

The local GM dealer's service dept. diagnosed the EBCM as needing replaced and wanted to charge $1268.58 to do it.
I ordered a refurbished unit from an Auto Parts store. will change it out myself and return the core for a core refund.

I still need to know the location of the existing EBCM.

The cars vin # is 1G3WX52H3YF115853; build date 08/99; milage 93,716 .

sparcx

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, sparcx.

The local GM dealer's service dept. diagnosed the EBCM as needing replaced and wanted to charge $1268.58 to do it.
I ordered a refurbished unit from an Auto Parts store. will change it out myself and return the core for a core refund.

I still need to know the location of the existing EBCM.

The cars vin # is 1G3WX52H3YF115853; build date 08/99; milage 93,716 .
ah ok... the reason i mentioned it is that the sku number you posted refers to a Body Control Module, which I don't believe is the same thing. Just wanted you to make sure you're getting the right part that you need.

i believe these may be the instructions you are looking for http://99intrigue.shutterfly.com/ebtcm

highlander13

Reaction score
hi, i have those same lights come on, but turning the car off and back on again gets rid of them. it seems like they only come on at low speeds when im turning or braking (in my parking garage). i can hear the TCS come on for a second or two, then the lights come on. ive also noticed some noise on the hwy which could be the front right hub. so from what you guys have experienced, it seems like it could be a sensor that might be damaged if my wheel hub is. haven't taken a look at it yet but i will soon.

Ted Hall

Reaction score
Ok, after re-installing the rebuilt ABS module (used ModuleMasters), I still have the following lights on; ABS light, and the Traction Control Off light.
The Brake light did stop coming on.
Unlike others posting here, these lights come on as soon as the engine starts and stay on all the time the engine is running.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

krivasolds

Reaction score
Ok, after re-installing the rebuilt ABS module (used ModuleMasters), I still have the following lights on; ABS light, and the Traction Control Off light.
The Brake light did stop coming on.
Unlike others posting here, these lights come on as soon as the engine starts and stay on all the time the engine is running.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

You might have a bad wheel sensor. Go to a dealer and have them pull the chassis codes out with the Tech II scanner.

Ted Hall

Reaction score
Thanks,krivasolds.

You're right, it was a sensor problem.
When we first started out working on the warning lights issue, the brake pads needed replaced and the right rear hub bearings were going out so we decided to fix those two things first and see if that would resolve the warning lights issue.
Of course, the lights were still on so we removed the ABS module and had it rebuilt by ModuleMaster (total $172).
After the rebuilt ABS module was reinstalled , the lights were still on so we had it scanned and found there was a problem with the new right rear hub sensor.
When the wheel was removed, we found that the sensor wire had not been plugged back in when the hub was replaced.
So getting the ABS module repaired would have fixed the warning lights issue if it hadn't been for one act of carelessness by the "mechanic" that replaced the hub and charged $45 for his "labor".
Is there a law against impersonating a mechanic?

krivasolds

Reaction score
Thanks,krivasolds.

You're welcome

So getting the ABS module repaired would have fixed the warning lights issue if it hadn't been for one act of carelessness by the "mechanic" that replaced the hub and charged $45 for his "labor".
Is there a law against impersonating a mechanic?

In Texas, it's called the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices - Consumer Protection Act. There is a non-disclaimable warranty to perform repair services in a good and workmanlike fashion. Don't know about Arkansas.