• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Oldsmobile owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Olds 307 intermittent knocking/tapping sound

oliverd642

Reaction score
Hi, I'm unsure where to post this so I will stick it here.

I have a 1990 caprice wagon with the olds 307 in it (I posted on chevy forums and got no response)

There is an intermittent tapping/knocking sound coming from the engine, mostly at idle speed to around 1500rpm, anything after that it goes away and comes back as the revs drop. Weird thing is, it doesnt do it all the time! sometimes its nice and quiet! I only usually hear it when the engine is warm. I am yet to hear it on a cold start.

Link to the sound:

Edit: I’ve just noticed, it’s not only when the engine is warm, sometimes it will make the sound when cold too.

Any ideas what it could be?

Last edited:

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
Did you get this noise resolved yet ? my car make a noise like that when the AC is on . Does your car have AC