OBDII Communication issue

ThePabst

Reaction score
Anyone ever run into a GM OBDII not communicating with a scanner or state inspection computer? The only thing I found on the net was a thread about the lighter fuse being blown and not powering the connector. Fuse is good. One hint, the cruse does not work...

Last edited:

Cutlass350

Reaction score
Anyone ever run into a GM OBDII not communicating with a scanner or state inspection computer? The only thing I found on the net was a thread about the lighter fuse being blown and not powering the connector. Fuse is good. One hint, the cruse does not work...

Check the power and the two ground pins. You can use an automotive test light.

After that, you'd could check for continuity of the data signals between the OBD-II connector and the PCM connector.

A wiring diagram will have the info you need. I doubt they change much between the years. And, the OBD-II data pins on the PCM connector is likely common across many GM models.

Cutlass350

Reaction score
FYI, the power and two ground pins:

obd2pins.png

The OBD-II data pins may be on pins 58 & 59 on C1.

PCM C1 Connector Pinout on 2.4L Engines
58 PPL 1807 Class 2 Serial Data
59 PPL 1807 Class 2 Serial Data

0996b43f802026cf.gif

See:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...train-Control-Module-PCM/_/P-0996b43f8036e7f5

Last edited:

ThePabst

Reaction score
We are good to go! Looks like it was some sort of software issue at the inspection station. They called me and told me that they had a few other cars that cold not talk to big brother that day.

Cutlass350

Reaction score
We are good to go! Looks like it was some sort of software issue at the inspection station. They called me and told me that they had a few other cars that cold not talk to big brother that day.

That's good to hear!
Thanks for the update.

BTW, when I went looking for how the PCM connects to the OBD-II connector in an Intrigue (I have the Dealer's Service Manuals), I came to the conclusion that
anyone that has to do, and tries to do, very involved work on a car other than a Mustang or a Camero is asking for trouble. :) Wow, it took me a while to find out how that connection is done on my Intrigue. It didn't help that I had to go through three different sections in the manual, and that the wire does a name change because of a splice connection. But, I was determined to find it, and I did. :)

ThePabst

Reaction score
Hi Cutlass, I have the entire GM service and Campaign manuals complete for all vehicles from 97 to 2006... Let me know if you need anything. Though they do rely on the TECK 2 quite a bit, there is still decent diagnostic procedure's available there.

Cutlass350

Reaction score
Hi Cutlass, I have the entire GM service and Campaign manuals complete for all vehicles from 97 to 2006... Let me know if you need anything. Though they do rely on the TECK 2 quite a bit, there is still decent diagnostic procedure's available there.

Thanks for the offer!
I have two copies of the Dealers Service Manual for my 2000 Intrigue. Thankfully, I bough them before the ebay price for that year and model went to ~$100+. :)

I like to have two copies of the service manuals. One manual stays inside and stays "clean". I use the other manual (set) when I work on the car, since the manuals may ;) get dirt and grease on them.

Much easier and faster than scanning or taking pictures and then printing out the pages that you think that you'll need. :)

I have a Tech2 China clone - works great. But, I also don't use it every day/week like a garage would. :) The electronics and the display do seem cheap. But, it works for what I need it for, and use it for. I mainly wanted to do a CPS relearn and a steering wheel center relearn (for the stability control) after my engine R&R.

ThePabst

Reaction score
That Tech2... Where did you get that?

I had a standard scanner from HF, it was garbage. I picked up a mid range Actron, its much much better.

Cutlass350

Reaction score
That Tech2... Where did you get that?

I had a standard scanner from HF, it was garbage. I picked up a mid range Actron, its much much better.

I have a China Clone of the GM Tech-II scanner. It can not be fixed. No one will service it. But, I bought my China Clone for ~$700. I found one now for for ~$450.
The real version goes for ~$4,500. Approximately ten times more!

Real Version:
OTC Tools (OTC3649)
Tech 2 Deluxe Kit
http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-3649.aspx
List Price: $8,599.99
Your Price: $4,460.99
Item Number OTC3649

China Clone:
http://www.obdiiscanner.com/professional-tool/gm-tech-2.html
GM Tech-2 Product NO.: PRT0005
Product Name:GM Tech-2,Vetronix GM Tech-2 Scanner
Shipping: Calculated at checkout
Price: $299
S&H ~$150 to USA
Total: ~$450
Note: Imho, use paypal to be safe. :)

The company that I bought mine from changed their name.
Where I got mine (link & website no longer work):
http://www.uobd2.com/wholesale/gm-tech2-gm-diagnostic-scanner-1407.htm

I think they are now:
http://www.obd2be.com/gm-tech-2-p-471.html
GM Tech 2
Now: $560.00
I'm not sure about S&H, I saw ~$25 tax when I did the first step of checkout just now.
gm-tech-2-scan-tool-06.jpg

Here's the thread where I talk about some scanner options:
http://www.oldsmobileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15998

Picture of my GM Tech-II Scanner clone showing cylinder misses because of a leaky brake vacuum booster. I knew it was the vacuum booster. I wanted to see if that Tech-II function worked. :)

misfire_capture_sm.jpg

And, as a quick FYI:
BTW, from an ebay auction to fix only genuine Tech-II scanners:

How to detect a clone Tech2 :
NO PRODUCTION DATE INSIDE THE COVER FOR THE SOFTWARE CARD, IT'S A CLONE.

IF THE PHONE NUMBER FOR SUPPORT ENDS IN 4009, DEFINITELY A CLONE.

THE VOID STICKER OVER A BOLT HOLE IS NOT COMPLETELY CLEAR TO READ, DEFINITELY A CLONE.

IF YOUR TECH 2 HAS LITTLE WHITE STICKERS OVER THE CASE 1/2'S WITH 'VETRONIX' AND CHINESE SYMBOLS INDICATING DATE, DEFINITELY A CLONE.

Also, if you check the ebay auctions, genuine Tech2 scanner kits go for ~$3K+.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

ThePabst

Reaction score
Actually, now that I see the picture I remember shopping for one. Too rich for my blood.

I just picked up an RX7, beautiful sheet metal, totaled motor and it has that HIDEOUS multi-prismatic paint that wa$$$ big 10 years ago. Gonna turn it into a 24 hours of Lemmons rig. Maybe run it next summer.

ThePabst

Reaction score
Thanks Autoexpert!!

The issue turned out to be a bad wire in the 'terminal' of the NYS inspection computer the shop was using. My rig happened to be the first one the problem showed up in.

The guy from shop called me a few days later and said they found and fixed the wire. I took it back and she passed with flying colors.

Bottom line, when the 'man' says your wrong; YOUR not 'always' wrong.

Moral of the story? No engine light, no problem: Stand your ground.

jaymeeker8437

Reaction score
Ok I have a 98 Olds Intrigue. There is no OBDII compliant sticker but a plug under the dash. I want to install an A-8 HUD which is powered by OBDII, but not mine....find me an adapter...saves money and looks better than gauges

jaymeeker8437

Reaction score
I forgot to mention..it has an OBDII type plug, and a scanner can read it fine. The HUD will plug in, rin boot up then start over again. Getting power and is basically an amp meter with a light show. Gives me all the dash info via HUD. If you have a dash cam and the lens can see the Heads Up then you have your speed posted on video if an issue...
If you can help...maybe a schematic of the plug on the A-8.
Car needs gauges...these are hi tech.

Thanks