New Member w/'84 Olds 98 drivetrain in a '55 Studebaker Coupe

Studeolds

Reaction score
My optometrist and her mother gave me her dad's '55 Studebaker Starlight Coupe that her dad had owned 53 years. He had been in bad health for a few years and she knew I owned a '55 Studebaker already. When I went to look at the car I knew it did not have a Studebaker engine in it. They did not know what kind it was. After some investigating and web searching I am pretty sure it is a '84 Oldsmobile 307 Y engine and A200 4R over-speed transmission. I think I will like that combination and also to honor her dad I want to try to get it running and use the running gear. My wife does not like riding in my restored '55 President State Sedan. I kept it original so it is 6 volts with no AC. Until I was given this car I was a semi-purist and did not think I wanted to restomod a Studebaker. My wife is pretty excited about having a car that will have AC, cruise, power steering and brakes, a 12 volt stereo system and maybe a few more modern gizmos.

Until I was given this Studebaker with an Oldsmobile running gear in it I had no idea I would be joining the Oldsmobile Club. I am a member of the Studebaker Drivers' Club and use their forum a lot. I have gained so much knowledge over the past 12 years or so from their forum it is awesome. I will be picking some brains on this forum concerning the engine and tranny. My weakest area of tinkering is the electric system and there most be over 100 wires in the cabin and engine area. I am in my 70s so I tinker rather than work on stuff. I am retired from the government and the military. I live near Tulsa, OK on 5 acres and have a pretty nice garage to tinker in. I will see if I can attach a couple of pictures with this first post.

Charles D. Musgrove (Charlie D.)

100_2942.JPG100_4081.JPG100_4088.JPG100_4385.JPG100_4857.JPG100_2942.JPG

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My optometrist and her mother gave me her dad's '55 Studebaker Starlight Coupe that her dad had owned 53 years. He had been in bad health for a few years and she knew I owned a '55 Studebaker already. When I went to look at the car I knew it did not have a Studebaker engine in it. They did not know what kind it was. After some investigating and web searching I am pretty sure it is a '84 Oldsmobile 307 Y engine and A200 4R over-speed transmission. I think I will like that combination and also to honor her dad I want to try to get it running and use the running gear. My wife does not like riding in my restored '55 President State Sedan. I kept it original so it is 6 volts with no AC. Until I was given this car I was a semi-purist and did not think I wanted to restomod a Studebaker. My wife is pretty excited about having a car that will have AC, cruise, power steering and brakes, a 12 volt stereo system and maybe a few more modern gizmos.

Until I was given this Studebaker with an Oldsmobile running gear in it I had no idea I would be joining the Oldsmobile Club. I am a member of the Studebaker Drivers' Club and use their forum a lot. I have gained so much knowledge over the past 12 years or so from their forum it is awesome. I will be picking some brains on this forum concerning the engine and tranny. My weakest area of tinkering is the electric system and there most be over 100 wires in the cabin and engine area. I am in my 70s so I tinker rather than work on stuff. I am retired from the government and the military. I live near Tulsa, OK on 5 acres and have a pretty nice garage to tinker in. I will see if I can attach a couple of pictures with this first post.

Charles D. Musgrove (Charlie D.)

View attachment 1683View attachment 1684View attachment 1685View attachment 1686View attachment 1687View attachment 1683
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I'm glad you found us! :)

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
Studeolds the picture of the engine , notice the belts , in the pic it looks to me like the alternator belt only goes around the water pump pulley, the water pump pulley looks like it has an inner belt groove not being used , if you can post another pic there might be another inner belt groove on the crank pulley that is also not being used , i think the two inner pulleys were used to drive an AC pump mounted on the other side of engine ( right side ). Your belts will squeal bad with that set up . You will have to move the alternator the other side of the engine and use the two inner pulleys . or an AC delete pulley on the other side of engine .

The carb notice the Hot air tubes that heat the chock pull off if the hot tube in the exhaust break / fail could replace the hot tube or change to an electric chock pull off .

Notice the solid steel fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb fuel filter . look at how close the steel fuel tube is to the thermostate housing . it is very difficult to make a new solid line. The fuel filter carb housing you have looks like the longer option for that carb , be carefull with tube nut fitting , use the proper tools . My car the carb fuel line nut was rounded off could not get any wrench on it , was all messed up so i had to make some changes . If yours ever gets messed up this is how i fixed mine. I changed the fuel filter carb housing to the short one with a hose barb fitting , i did not put a fuel filter in it , it was to difficult to make a solid fuel line from fuel pump to carb so some ( top part ) of it is rubber hose , then installed an in line fuel filter before the fuel pump . some might think its odd to put the in line fuel filter in before the fuel pump but its been like that a long time it works well and protects the fuel pump from old rusty gas tanks .

engine pic looks like 4 fittings on the head that have been blocked off or cripped off , engine may have had a smog pump . exhaust manifold looks like it has an O2 sensor .

Studeolds

Reaction score
Roy,

Thank you for your astute observations. Do you own a 1984 Olds 98? I would love to make contact on the forum with someone who owns one so I could receive “Oldsmobile” knowledge and maybe a picture or two.

I will respond to the best of my knowledge to your observations and questions. I will attempt to post a couple more pictures of the belt setup. You are correct in that the alternator belt went to the outside water pump pulley. The power steering pump belt goes around the next grove in on the water pump and the outside grove of the crank pulley. The A/C compressor had been deleted as well as the smog pump by the prior owner. An A/C compressor will be added back to the right side of the engine. I may have to go to a salvage yard or watch eBay closely for the A/C mounting bracket. That would be a picture from the forum I would like to have. I purchased a new oxygen sensor for it.

I purchased two service manuals for the ’84 Olds 98. One was for the chassis and the other was for electrical trouble shooting. Each one is nearly 3” thick. But I was able to trace at least most of the wiring harness. Many wires had been cut. The wires to the A/C unit were cut as well as several that went to the smog pump and other environmental control devices. Many more that went to the instrument panel were cut. A good friend of mine gave me the instrument panel out of a ’64 Studebaker GT Hawk that will bolt right in to the ’55 coupe. It has the 12 volt instruments.

I wanted to make sure the 307 V8 would start and run as I was told it had not been started for years. The first thing I had to do was turn it over. I removed the plugs and squirted some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders. The next day it turned over. The only ugly thing that happened then was some loose rust was pushed up to the spark plug in #7. I used a magnet to fish it out and everything went well. The cylinders were once more squirted with oil as it was rotated. I had to mount the 12 volt battery in the trunk and run one ought wire to the starter. I had to buy a new starter and fuel pump. I hooked enough wiring up to crank it over and used a fuel can and clear tubing to feed the Quadrajet. I had to buy a crossover exhaust pipe from the left to the right manifolds. There is nothing past that so it was very loud. As I was cranking I could see the fuel being pumped through the clear tubing. The engine started and immediately I had a geyser of fuel coming out of the carb. I figured the carb float was stuck open so ordered up a Quadrajet rebuild kit and cleaned the carb good and put new stuff back in it. It was installed on the engine and the engine fired up. I did not have a very good vacuum reading but there are many vacuum outlets on the engine and carb and I probably missed one or two. The oil pressure was about 55 so I was happy with that. I let it run for 10 seconds or so and shut it down. It is not hooked up to water so I did not want to overheat it.

I agree with you with wanting to filter the gas before it gets to the fuel pump and I will be installing a filter between the tank and the fuel pump.

One of the surprises when the engine was started was that there was a puddle of tranny fluid under the tranny. I found out that a pump in the tranny pumps fluid to the radiator for cooling. I temporarily have solved that situation by putting a short piece of metal tubing between the pump outlet that loops back around into the inlet.

Just a few days ago the body was taken off the chassis and put on a rotisserie.

Charlie D.

Attachments

• 100_4141.JPG
    100_4141.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_4142.JPG
    100_4142.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_5844.JPG
    100_5844.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_5892.JPG
    100_5892.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_6391.JPG
    100_6391.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 4

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
for what i own see new member introductions (delta 88 victoria bc ) . have a look at the thread/ post (307 move alternator to other side of engine) and look at thread / post ( 307 power steering pump bolt adjustment ) .
if you do not have an ac pump now or the ac bracket then maybe look at Sanden ac pumps and brackets. another option to have AC is an electric motor driven AC pump , you could mount it any where even in the trunk ! might find a used one from a electric car that is being parted out .
i still have the hot air tubes to choke , same as your engine , it works fine .
I have a Rochester Quadrajet , same carb as yours .

Last edited: