New Member w/'84 Olds 98 drivetrain in a '55 Studebaker Coupe

Studeolds

Reaction score
My optometrist and her mother gave me her dad's '55 Studebaker Starlight Coupe that her dad had owned 53 years. He had been in bad health for a few years and she knew I owned a '55 Studebaker already. When I went to look at the car I knew it did not have a Studebaker engine in it. They did not know what kind it was. After some investigating and web searching I am pretty sure it is a '84 Oldsmobile 307 Y engine and A200 4R over-speed transmission. I think I will like that combination and also to honor her dad I want to try to get it running and use the running gear. My wife does not like riding in my restored '55 President State Sedan. I kept it original so it is 6 volts with no AC. Until I was given this car I was a semi-purist and did not think I wanted to restomod a Studebaker. My wife is pretty excited about having a car that will have AC, cruise, power steering and brakes, a 12 volt stereo system and maybe a few more modern gizmos.

Until I was given this Studebaker with an Oldsmobile running gear in it I had no idea I would be joining the Oldsmobile Club. I am a member of the Studebaker Drivers' Club and use their forum a lot. I have gained so much knowledge over the past 12 years or so from their forum it is awesome. I will be picking some brains on this forum concerning the engine and tranny. My weakest area of tinkering is the electric system and there most be over 100 wires in the cabin and engine area. I am in my 70s so I tinker rather than work on stuff. I am retired from the government and the military. I live near Tulsa, OK on 5 acres and have a pretty nice garage to tinker in. I will see if I can attach a couple of pictures with this first post.

Charles D. Musgrove (Charlie D.)

100_2942.JPG100_4081.JPG100_4088.JPG100_4385.JPG100_4857.JPG100_2942.JPG

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My optometrist and her mother gave me her dad's '55 Studebaker Starlight Coupe that her dad had owned 53 years. He had been in bad health for a few years and she knew I owned a '55 Studebaker already. When I went to look at the car I knew it did not have a Studebaker engine in it. They did not know what kind it was. After some investigating and web searching I am pretty sure it is a '84 Oldsmobile 307 Y engine and A200 4R over-speed transmission. I think I will like that combination and also to honor her dad I want to try to get it running and use the running gear. My wife does not like riding in my restored '55 President State Sedan. I kept it original so it is 6 volts with no AC. Until I was given this car I was a semi-purist and did not think I wanted to restomod a Studebaker. My wife is pretty excited about having a car that will have AC, cruise, power steering and brakes, a 12 volt stereo system and maybe a few more modern gizmos.

Until I was given this Studebaker with an Oldsmobile running gear in it I had no idea I would be joining the Oldsmobile Club. I am a member of the Studebaker Drivers' Club and use their forum a lot. I have gained so much knowledge over the past 12 years or so from their forum it is awesome. I will be picking some brains on this forum concerning the engine and tranny. My weakest area of tinkering is the electric system and there most be over 100 wires in the cabin and engine area. I am in my 70s so I tinker rather than work on stuff. I am retired from the government and the military. I live near Tulsa, OK on 5 acres and have a pretty nice garage to tinker in. I will see if I can attach a couple of pictures with this first post.

Charles D. Musgrove (Charlie D.)

View attachment 1683View attachment 1684View attachment 1685View attachment 1686View attachment 1687View attachment 1683
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. I'm glad you found us! :)