Intrigue Enthusiasts?

moogvo

Reaction score
Reading through these threads, I see that the lion's share of members who post in here are just looking for answers to their problems with their cars. It would seem that most people here view their Intrigue as simply "transportation", rather than to be classified as "Enthusiasts".

I am on my 2nd Intrigue and love it (aside from no aftermarket support). It is far more fun to drive than any of the other commuter family sedans I have ever driven. Some performance tires and it handles like a beast!

So, my question here is "How many Intrigue enthusiasts" are here? People who actually love the Intrigue rather than someone looking for the answer to a problem. Surely I am not alone.

billcarson

Reaction score
my name is frank and i am a intrigue enthusiast.i routinely blow away assholes in what they think are fast cars.i love the look on their faces when i do.i drive very defensively but there are so many assholes on the road today i do not enjoy driving anymore.texting,cell phone usage,not signaling your intentions,and the list goes on and on.i would opt for a total retest practical and written for everyone with a drivers license.rant over.moderators please forgive me.

Reaction score
I enjoyed my Intrigue while I owned it. Bought it in 2008 with 87K and drive it until this past June and got it to 176K I believe. It was nice and clean, and I did a good job on the stereo. However in its final year with me the clear coat started peeling off the hood, I had some bad rocket panel rot, the front struts were shot, and I needed a new left wheel bearing.

My friend Ryan (rzb01intrigue on here) is a big Olds guy. He had a nice white GX before he sold it and bought a Jetta (He bought a TDI, I bought a GLI). Though he recently bought his Intrigue back from the girl he originally sold it to. It's degraded though, so he'll be using it as a beater.

swagled

Reaction score
Intrigues are "cult cars" - they have a narrow appeal to some people, but most others "just do not get it".

I still see them on the road often, and I can think of other cars from that era like the Ford Contour or Chrysler Cirrus/Stratus that have disappeared. Some cars just don't that "it" factor to make people care enough about them to continue the maintenance and wring another decade or two out of them.

I kept mine as my Home Depot errand vehicle, and probably only put about 4000 miles a year on it now. But I still like to drive it - and am often impressed at how easy the car is to see out of and drive assertively, despite its age.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah it's unfortunate that many of the Intrigue's I see on the road are beat to hell most of the time. Occasionally I'll find one or two that are clean and well maintained.

moogvo

Reaction score
This one is my second. I had an '02 and now I have a 2000. Both silver, both 3.5, both less than 100k miles. The one I have now has heated leather, power moon roof and a spoiler... I am looking for a matching intrigue without a spoiler to swap trunk lids with. I really don't care for the way it looks. Otherwise, I love the car. It is fun to drive and (to me) looks pretty sporty.

I have been known to go out trolling for ricers and then hurt their feelings. LOL!

mikeaurora

Reaction score
I have a 2000 GX with 167.000, and bought it with about 65,000 on it back in 2005-it has been to California and back (2800 miles one way and I did the return trip in 2 days), numerous trips to Hilton Head (1600 miles round trip) and lots of stop and go city driving in between. It still gets 17-18 city and over 30 on the long trips, is still beautiful and fast-I did a TransGo shift kit recently, and have replaced sway bar end links, done brakes all around a few times, a radiator, waterpump, ac compressor, alternator rebuild (all at the same time, you may as well if you get into it to do one of these) installed drilled/slotted rotors over 10 years ago (just had them machined for the first time at the last pad replacement). Use full synthetic and it does not leak a drop or use any oil between oil changes of no more than 3000 mile intervals.

I got a leather interior in great shape out of a local pick and pull for $50 and wired them for heat after getting the dash switches-it has a spoiler, 235/50-17 Eagle GT's on chrome Aurora spokes, and a 1000 watt sub hooked up to a Sony Bluetooth head unit.

My neighbor liked it so much she asked me to find one for her, so I found her a 2001 GL with 102,000, sunroof and stability control for $3000 four years ago. I take care of it for her, it too is immaculate and runs great. I then found another 2001 for my sister in law, with 140,000 miles on it two years ago, identical to my neighbor's white GL down to the options for $1500. She lives about 50 miles from here, so I only work on it occasionally but it is dependable, runs great and now has over 160,000 miles on it.

I see a lot of these on the road still, and many are beaters but the fact that they are still around going on 20 years says something to the quality and engineering that went into these cars.

Yeah, I am an Intrigue enthusiast.

tweak1029

Reaction score
I have a 1999 gx with the 3.8. A few years back I had a 2000 that was loaded, but I never trusted the 3.5. I had to leave some sodium silicate in the cooling system to keep it from overheating.

I just added keyless entry and heated seats to my 99 and went through the center console and repaired the damage the years have done to it. I am also catching it up on service. The old 3.8 that was in it was killed by the p.o., using liquid glass (sodium silicate) to attempt to repair the LIM gasket leak. The cylinders filled with glass and it lost compression and shedded ring particles into the oil.

My neighbor sold his park avenue to me for $200 with a bad transmission and I used the engine, new tires, fairly new big brakes, and salvaged the fuel pump and full tank of gas before scrapping it for $50 more. I ordered some cheapo struts from eBay for $196 ($20 off, CRS fronts and Unity rear complete struts assemblies).

I've changed all of the fluids (trans, oil, coolant, P/S, and brake) and installed a wix inline transmission filter to hopefully improve the longevity of it. Despite the years of abuse the car doesn't have a single dent. It had some scuffs on the front bumper and a peeling spot on the left A-pillar which I painted last night - will sand and buff in a week. All of this has been done to a $400 car and my current investment is $1154.36 - not bad for a car that's easily in excellent condition. It would be better but I repaired the LIM before the old engine failed completely. If I can do a quality sound system for under $400 (easily achievable), I'll stop for a while.

After I graduate (college, studying chemistry) I'd like to build the transmission and work on putting some power down with a turbo or supercharger, but that's not until May.

phewop118

Reaction score
I would consider myself to be both an Intrigue enthusiast and beater. I've had my 01 GLS for 10.5 yrs, now with over 185k miles on it. I've had to replace most of the commonly failed parts over the years, but have lived with many others (failed Ebcm, occasionally faulty pressure control solenoid in the transmission, slow coolant crossover leak, etc). Mine has been relegated to an occasional driver now, but I still love driving it nonetheless. The Shortstar V6 still rocks hard all the way up to redline and many people are regularly surprised by the acceleration it provides.

Alas, I think I will be departing with it soon. Northeastern PA winters beat the heck out of any car. I have had to replace all brake and fuel lines and rocker panels. The subframe rust is starting to get pretty rough now; combined with struts that have lost all damping capabilities, deteriorated engine mounts, and the fact that I maintain 4 other cars means that my Intrigue's days are quite numbered.

Not a week has gone by over the past 10 years where I haven't continued searching for a replacement Intrigue. I hope to find an 02 GLS from the south with under 100k miles on it at some point in the near future.

swagled

Reaction score
Nice under 100K Intrigues still pop up on Auto Trader once in a while.

You can wring a lot of miles from an Intrigue but I will admit around 180K you start encountering failing parts regularly. I'm at 226.5K and I think I've replaced all my engine bolt-ons by now.

Toutou

Reaction score
2002 gl

I bought mine 18 months ago for $1400.00 from a kid who was overwhelmed by the repairs. I repaired the front motor mount, a front lower control arm, leaking valve covers and faulty fuel gauge. While getting the oil leak fixed the starter gave out. I love this car. Smooth and strong acceleration from stop to top. I too have surprised the 4 inch exhaust pipe Honda crowd and it's a blast! Old guy in an Oldsmobile...and I sometimes wear a hat...lol....:)

joblow 1

Reaction score
I bought my 2001 GLS in Florida in 2003 as an off lease car. Had 23K and now it just turned 78K and has always been in warm climate without ice or salt,and garaged. She still runs like a scalded cat. Silver paint is spotless and NOT a ding. Leather is in great shape and heated seats work fine whenever I need them (seldom). Have been spending a lot of money lately though. New brakes, new crank position sensor, $1500 on trans little over year ago and have to redo because garage won't honor warranty, also needs secondary air pump replaced and can't get it emissions OK'ed until both are repaired. That means NO tags til then. Got a months extension on the smog certificate and looking for an honest trans shop and a tech to repair air pump. Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted to say I too am an enthusiast but father time is ticking to the 89 mile post next week and I would like to keep us both motoring a little longer together. My Intrigue with 3.5 is the best car I have owned. I have surprised a few rice burners in my day as well. If any of you readers live in Scottsdale, Az and know a good tranny tech would appreciate a shout out...running out of time...Thanx and God Bless.

pcarlson15

Reaction score
I got my 98 from my mom for blue book value, it now has 70k on it and looks and drives like new still. I concur with Bill, the acceleration is sweet and its kind of a sleeper. The gas mileage is great on road trips and its roomy and comfortable. I wouldn't say I am an enthusiast but the car has grown on me. Especially on long trips. The only other car I've driven recently that has had the power and comfort was a 2015 chevy impala. In my opinion the Intrigue was way ahead its time. When I blow doors off at a stop light I think to myself...yep its an Olds! The Buick 3800 motor was the first motor to run for 250,000 miles continuously, and is a great engine found in 98-99 models. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

Phil

SegaGT

Reaction score
There are a few of us around, but most out there seem to be second/third owner "beater till its dead" owners. I can't blame them. Picking up a loaded car for $800-$1500...
Not sure if anybody here remembers the "cash for clunkers" push a few years ago. There was a video of a '95 Aurora getting its engine destroyed for the program. Very sad.
I can see a day when they are all considered classic, and (Intrigue) as the last of the mid sized Oldsmobile's will actually be worth something. If I had the space and money I would pick up a "Final 500".

The lack of aftermarket support (esp. LX5) makes the car a bit of an underdog, but I tend to go for the odd so it suits me. :)

I intend to keep mine fairly stock or upgrades that can be unbolted to be put back to original. The fact that GM did a lot of parts bin engineering means that many upgrades are just a matter of crossing over to other cars that did get aftermarket with the exception of the unique components and even then should still be doable.

Would like to find or make an exhaust with a little more voice to it although it is nice to be able to fly past the cars with bumble bee in a can mufflers and make them look and sound like tacky garbage next to our cars. :cones:

The other area I am interested in would be to lower it maybe 2", but that is a tricky area. The ride quality is so good now, and I already have another car so low and stiff it chips my teeth on bumps. :D

FrazierRacing

Reaction score
I'm currently 16 and I got my first car before I got my license and have really enjoyed my '01 Intrigue GL for $2500.00 which has been really fun to drive. I've had very few problems so far and have put in a performance filter and plan to flash the ecu then put in a new throttle body. I was sad to find that there wasn't that much on the car, but overall I have found some pretty cool stuff on it. I plan to keep my car awhile and am proud to say I own a beige Oldsmobile that's pretty darn intriguing.

Reaction score
I'm currently 16 and I got my first car before I got my license and have really enjoyed my '01 Intrigue GL for $2500.00 which has been really fun to drive. I've had very few problems so far and have put in a performance filter and plan to flash the ecu then put in a new throttle body. I was sad to find that there wasn't that much on the car, but overall I have found some pretty cool stuff on it. I plan to keep my car awhile and am proud to say I own a beige Oldsmobile that's pretty darn intriguing.

Gak. Gak. Gak. I see what you did there :cones:

I always enjoyed my Intrigue. It was always much nicer and more comfortable than many of my friends cars.

FrazierRacing

Reaction score
Gak. Gak. Gak. I see what you did there :cones:

I always enjoyed my Intrigue. It was always much nicer and more comfortable than many of my friends cars.

:D I actually get that joke a lot more than I thought I would. And in all honesty after riding in my car any other car has hard suspension and is uncomfortable. I also just got my car detailed and it's lookin pretty nice.

billcarson

Reaction score
i miss my old car!2016 Toyota forerunner no auto headlights,primitive climate control,sloppy handling,hard to enter and disembark,especially for 88 year old mom.a/c takes forever to cool it down and the visibility is below par even with the silly rear view camera.only got it to tow my old boat project.yikes!

FrazierRacing

Reaction score
Care to post a picture for the Intrigue Enthusiasts to see? :D

how's this for ya? one of my friends tracked some dirt in my car and there's some stains left from the previous owner. I pulled the faux wood trim and gold badges from a GLS Gold Edition that had sadly been put in the junkyard.
IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg