How can I fix a power window on a 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue?

arianaauburn

Reaction score
The back passenger window cannot go up. The motor works, but looks as if it can't get a grip on the glass window. The rest of the power windows work fine. Any advice on how to fix this window?

oldblu65

Reaction score
power window problem ?

I had the same problem about a year ago . The window is lowered and raised by a cable and pulley setup . If you can hear the motor running then the problem is the before mentioned setup . This can't be repaired , only replaced . You will need to replace the window regulator . It comes as an assembly and probably cost in the $ 400 range with labor extra. You could do the replacement yourself . I replaced mine and it wasn't too difficult . Once you get the door panel off , it's actually pretty simple . I will be glad to answer any questions you have .

DeChud

Reaction score
Window motor and regulator

If you buy a GM part it will cost you $360 at gmpartsdirect.com. Since the car is almost 10 years old I would go to autozone.com and by an after market one for $125. I did the front. The GM part might last longer, but how long will you have the car. It is an easy job that just requires some manual dexterity.

beware

Reaction score
I wouldn't do any of this.

I've replaced every regulator changed on my car except front passenger. I can have the parts swapped in about 30 minutes. EBAY for the part. For some reason the RIGHT PASSENGER is harder to find, and more expensive (50-60bucks?). Tape the window with some duct tape so it holds the window up.

Pretty much I wrap the duct tape around the top of the door frame, and attach it to the windows.

The door handle has a hidden screw which will let you take off the door. The door is attached with molding. Just make sure the window is secured in the up position. The motor is held in by 2 or 3 bolts, and the track by 2 bolts. Youll take it out inside the door frame, then move it so u can take it out. The window sits on two plastic clips. Take the old regulator and track out, put new one in and you should be done in 45 minutes. Its quite simple if you can put together an office desk, you can manage this. The parts from ebay have a little bit louder motor.. not much. Just enough to hear it. But ill take paying 50 bucks over 250 any day.

intrigue2001

Reaction score
Had same Problem just last week

I had to look into why my rear driver side window started slipping down. In my case the cable broke. I have the GM 2001 Intrigue service manual set. I can give you the steps for first removing the trim panel and the water deflector plastic covering. Then how to replace the window regulator and motor, which could cost between $110.00 - $130.00, for the part if you get it from an auto parts supply store.

PSU Guy

Reaction score
I'm actually having this issue on my drivers side front door, took the window down this morning and wouldn't go back up, made for a less than pleasant drive to work. While at work the window seems to have settled the rest of the way down in the door. When i put it down this morning it went extremely slowly then wouldn't go back up. Afterwards if I tried to put the window up the motor made no noise, however if I hit down it makes a grinding sound, is the motor shot or could it be something less... costly?

rncotton

Reaction score
The power window setups on these cars are total crap. I will ensure that any car I purchase in the future does not use a cable setup, but is direct drive like my other cars. I replace one power window regulator in the Intrigue about every 3-4 months. So, by the time I rotate through the cycle, each one gets replaced about once a year.

The problem is the plastic retaining clip that secures the cable to the track. This little chunk of plastic breaks for no apparant reason, or just from hitting a bump. I've literally been sitting still in the parking lot and had the window suddenly fall down into the door. And of course, by the poor design, the window fails into the *open* position, so you have to break out the ghetto-tape and secure the window to the door.

eBay is your best bet for the part. You usually have to get the motor and the regulator for around $40. *ONE* time I was able to find just the regulator without the motor for $9. You won't need the motor, just the regulator. In fact, I suggest that you swap your original motor onto the replacement regulator. The cheap "made in China" motors are noisy and slow compared to the original. Oh, and you can use the regulator and motor from a Buick Regal also, identical part.

You can do a swap in under 30 minutes. You'll need a torx bit (forget the size), a phillips screwdriver, and a 10mm socket. I've done them so many times I can do it in about 15 minutes now. I'm thinking about doing the next one blindfolded just for kicks. Speaking of next time .... it's been 3 months. I guess one will break next weekend.

G

G-740535

power window problem ?

I had the same problem about a year ago . The window is lowered and raised by a cable and pulley setup . If you can hear the motor running then the problem is the before mentioned setup . This can't be repaired , only replaced . You will need to replace the window regulator . It comes as an assembly and probably cost in the $ 400 range with labor extra. You could do the replacement yourself . I replaced mine and it wasn't too difficult . Once you get the door panel off , it's actually pretty simple . I will be glad to answer any questions you have .
the part cost about 50 bucks anywhere you buy it other than the dealer. a1 parts are good and dorman also, either is in the 50 to 60 dollar range.