Hot Engine starting issues

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
I am having Hot engine starting issues . My area is having above average summer temperatures . My car starts good when cold , but when the engine and engine compartment gets Hot then the engine has a hard time getting restarted , it will start but takes a while for it to sort it self out . I must lift the hood when i stop the engine to let the heat out or it may not restart. If i could take the hood off for the summer the car would run fine .
The carb is a Rochester Quadrajet .

I think part of the problem is Ethanol in fuel , I think the internet says Ethanol boils at 173 F . Are you able to buy fuel with out Ethanol ? So the Ethanol will boil in the carb float bowl when you shut the engine off !

Some of you must live in hotter areas than me . Are you having Hot engine starting issues ? What changes have you made to reduce this problem ?

Last edited:

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
I ve resisted writing any more on this topic as better minds than mine in service manuals and forums have pretty much exhausted the list of possible issues that create heat or things not doing their job to cool engine. I do not plan to summarize all potential problems listed in service manuals. but maybe just things not listed in service manuals . My car is my daily driver so i cannot just stop driving it , so to give me time to explore what the issue is a few simple changes did give me more time .
I Only drove car early in morning to avoid heat of day , did not turn head lights on and did not use AC those just create more heat. used only no Ethanol fuel. Reduce weight removed spare tire , tools etc . Lowered rad cap lbs to as low as i could find . A service shop said to turn air cleaner upside down , needed to buy a longer bolt or could find a smaller top lid . Shop said to block off vacuum line to charcoal cannister . I do not under stand blocking off that vacuum line how that helps.
To let heat out , removed the long chrome strip on top of hood , that uncovered oval mounting holes . removed the rubber between top of fire wall and under side of hood , that works well to let heat out but not so good if you turn vent on as you suck fumes from engine space into cab ,so plan on not turning on the fan if you remove that rubber Also removed fender well rubber road dirt covers , that worked well but engine got dirty even driving on paved roads. These things do not fix the problem just gives you more time in hot weather to explore issues.

Attachments

• 100_3640.JPG
    100_3640.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3628.JPG
    100_3628.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3625.JPG
    100_3625.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3626.JPG
    100_3626.JPG