Help with '57 Jetaway Transmission

Joe57

Reaction score
Hi to all,

For those of you who have or have had cars with a Jetaway transmission, I'd like some feedback and advice. Sorry for the long intro explaining the question.

My 25 year old daughter and I are restoring a 1957 Super 88 Holiday hardtop. The car is in generally great shape, but it sat for over 30 years in a garage. So we are doing a body on frame restoration. At this point the car is completely striped and we are now beginning the process of repair / rebuilding / replacing, etc. While the plan is to keep the car as original as possible, because it will be my daughter's car, I will be doing some safety and reliability upgrades.

One of the things I am debating is whether or not to keep or replace the transmission with a more modern trans like the TH400 or 700R4. I know that the second year and beyond Jetaways have a good reputation for reliability and performance for a transmission of this time period. But my concerns are how the transmission and car performs at high way speeds (engine revs) and the true reliability and ability find someone in the future to repair and service the transmission, after I am long gone . I don't want to have a situation where my daughter has to deal with a major problem and it can't be fixed.

I live in the Oakland County area of Michigan and there is a transmission shop called Fraley's in Pontiac which has a great reputation for rebuilding classic transmissions as well as upgrading to newer trans. The shop was featured a couple of years ago in Hemmings Muscle Car magazine where they did a very similar trans swap on a Pontiac using an aftermarket adapter kit and starter motor.

So any feedback and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

D. Yaros

Reaction score
While I can understand the concern over repairs in the distant future, I do not understand the "at highway speeds" concern. As a youth our family had a '57 98, purchased new. It never had a tranny problem and highway speeds were a piece of cake for the 371 c.i. engine.