Help newbie can't figure it out thowing parts at it.

olddelta88

Reaction score
First post,
Having issues with my 1988 olds delta 88 vin C ln3. It stranded would not start at parking lot after driven there but was running rough before I parked it. I replaced the ICM and coils with junkyard later version with 3 coil packs. It started rough idle found one spark plug wire was cut by radiator fan replaced it. (wires only 6 months old as are spark plugs). I have O2 code replace O2 sensor, replaced the MAF sensor, and air idle control valve (one I had (only a year old) was measured at 1 and 1/8 in flange to tip and one I put in was at 7/8 inch) found that to be strange. Idle higher but was still running rough. I still have the O2 code after clearing it.
today i checked my fuel pressure from the strayer (sic) valve on rail. I used a R12 hose and fuel pressure guage from my CIS fuel pressure set.
at idle I got steady 35 psi when revved it went to 45 psi. saw on internet spec was 37-43 psi I assume this is idle spec. (can this cause O2 code? it's only 2-5% off)
things I am still considering to do next.
change fuel filter looks to be original it's rusted in and lines are also rusted.
I ordered a small line cutter from ebay and fuel filter two fuel lines that connect to filter and compression fitting to connect to car lines and pipe bender.

got that idea from

I also have a spare crank sensor but I don't think the one on car is bad since car runs fine at speeds of 10-40 mph

This needs to be on FWD section first post not sure in right place.
I

Last edited:

olddelta88

Reaction score
Background story, I needed a cheap car as my daily spun a rod bearing. This came on Craiglist for $350.
went to look at it it was raining. Car started check engine light was on, Inspection sticker was good for 3 more months so I bought it did not bother to haggle 350 seem fair. Car had 213,000 miles I didn't care needed something while I overhauled my wife's eclipse that spun a bearing. that was December 2018. Virginia taxes plates cost another $131.
I bought a monitor 2000 with gm 1989 kit and read the cam sensor was reason for light. So I did the JB weld method of replacing magnet and been running great for year and 1/2. no issue except for having to replace steering column due to play in tilt and radiator broke it trying to install wrong hose that autozone gave me. Care doesn't get much use now that I work from home due to covid.

olddelta88

Reaction score
Update, I started pulling the injector connectors in front side. Found #3 did nothing when I pulled it. #1 and #5 killed the engine.
I ordered one new OEM injector and a set of Bosch GEN III injectors that suppose to flow same rate as OEM.

Since this is my only car and I am extremely busy with work for next 9 weeks my plan is just to replace the one bad injector hope idle returns back to normal and wait on fuel filter and New Gen III injectors install.

Check this video on old vs new gen III injectors.

olddelta88

Reaction score
Put new injector on #3, idle improvement still rough though but driveable does not stall has more power now. Oxygen sensor code gone. Think a new set of plugs and the Gen III injectors will get me the rest of the way to a smooth idle.

olddelta88

Reaction score
Found issue with car. It's running better than ever what with new #3 injector, IAC valve, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, NGK Plugs, New spark plug wires and the upgraded ICM and three coil system. Issue was I crossed the Number 2 and 6 wires when I changed over to new ICM.

Still going to change fuel filter and upgrade to Gen III injectors.