EVAP System Malfunction 0440

Papa Rad17

Reaction score
I recently finished a restore project on the intrigue. Besides the mess of suspension and brake parts I also replaced the fuel pump and valve cover gasket. Since my build I have tossing an 0440 "evap system malfunction" and noticed a 2-3mpg decrease. I have double checked everything under the hood and the harness is entirely reconnected, I really don't think I damaged anything while I was in there. I have tried a few things with the gas cap tightness with no luck. Because of vague the code is I have no idea where to start. Anyone else have issues like this? Could it be the system just disagrees with the new fuel pump?

Cutlass350

Reaction score
What year and what engine?
Fwiw, the Olds Dealer Service manual (often ~~$100 on ebay) has a detailed description of each error code, why it is set, and the tests the ECU/PCM does to determine/set the error code.

Imho, grab a copy now, before you can't find/get one.

Btw, evap errors can often be because of a bad hose. That "can be" a massive PITA to find.

Papa Rad17

Reaction score
Great place to start looking. Good info, Thank you!
What year and what engine?
Fwiw, the Olds Dealer Service manual (often ~~$100 on ebay) has a detailed description of each error code, why it is set, and the tests the ECU/PCM does to determine/set the error code.

Imho, grab a copy now, before you can't find/get one.

Btw, evap errors can often be because of a bad hose. That "can be" a massive PITA to find.

Not a bad idea. No searching has yielded a better description the plain "evap system malfunction" in the scanner's book.

seen_bawl

Reaction score
I got this error and fix it by changing the catalytic converter
Never fine back again