Engine stuttering problem

lawngnome159

Reaction score
Hey,
Im havin a slight problem with my 1987 Toronado FE3, that at one point caused me to stop driving this car for a while because of its severity. This is the first time in about 5 months that it has done this, but when cruising steadily at around 2200 RPM's the engine seems to hesitate or stutter breifly. It seems to do it more when its been driven for a legnth of time. It used to be so bad that I had exactly a 30 minute drive radius before it would begin its stuttering and eventually it would shut off. It could be started about 30 seconds later, but it would just happen again down the road about 5 minutes away. When I began driving this car again, I replaced the battery, and gave it an oil change, and that seemed to do the trick. I also recently had to replace the Catalitic converter, and the guy at car-x said it was clogged by raw gasoline that wasnt being burnt, and it caused it to overheat so much it would cut off the flow of the exhaust. Since then, ive driven it about a month with no problems, until now. I think mabye my ignition wires are bad, and i plan to replace them this summer. I have a feeling that may be the problem. While this problem seems very mild compared to what it used to do, it still baffles me. I think the reason it was worse before was because of the catalitic converter's condition; coupled with whatever else may be the problem. If you have any ideas, PLEASE TELL ME!!!! Thanks a lot.

Cheers, Bob

Val

Reaction score
Seen the same symptoms just before my fuel pump died.

pat83t

Reaction score
Had the same problem for the longest time. Changed the ignition module and it cleared right up. After awhile of doing it, it started pulling ECM codes 41 and 42.