• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Oldsmobile owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

ECM and Proms for 1987 olds 98 Regency Grande

pcwander

Reaction score
I am having huge problem.

So it appears that I have isolated my problem to the ECM (have replaced every sensor available already). The car will run and lose all power and bog down. I can tap on the computer and it will kill the engine.

Here is where it gets difficult. The ECM had been replaced with a salvage part already, probably because previous owner was having same issue of it shutting down. I replaced the ECM with the part number on that ECM using a remanufactured one and moving the proms over.

I believe that the ECM and Proms are specific to this trim as it came with a digital dash (engine temp and odometer for example). I unfortunately have no way of knowing what the part number that came with the car from the factory, I believe the proms are specific to my trim and have no way of knowing if they just popped in salvage computer with the proms that were already installed or swapped over the Proms from the original unit.

GM dealer no help because they dont have oldsmobile information back that far. the vin configuration is different so it makes it difficult to pull up by that as well (first of the last 8 digits is H and they say should be number)

I cant find anything online or conflicting information online.

gmheritagecenter.com has no info for this vehicle either.

I am doing national searches constantly for the EXACT donor car with no luck. The 87 oldsmobile regency without the Grande trim package seems to be incorrect.

I couldnt find production numbers but it seems that this trim was limited (some even saying it is a 2dr when it is obviously 4dr)

I am hoping someone here can help. PLEASE

Vin 1G3CW5137H4335598

pcwander

Reaction score
Is the CE light on?

Do you have any codes?
SORRY for delay, been researching. CE does come on and off but the car basically isnt responding properly. high idles, stalls, etc

I have done basically everything short of a new engine and am pretty sure it just has wrong prom in it but cant find code for proper one. one in there now is AKAY but was not the chip that came with car.