Divisions within models

thejmfc

New member
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Jenison, MI
My humble suggestion is to add some divisions, or subcategories, of models in the forum.

For example, the Olds 88 forum. I think that it should at least be divided into FWD ('86 and up) and RWD categories, as the two have absolutely nothing in common. Ditto the Cutlass Supreme. Obviously, many models won't have this problem (an Intrigue is an Intrigue, etc.).

On the other hand, you could even lump together models that were directly replaced by another model, with the model that replaced them (Cutlass Supreme/Intrigue, Achieva/Alero, perhaps more).

Perhaps also dividing cars by FWD and RWD? Like grouping all of the FWD cars together, and all of the RWD cars together... just a thought.
 

thejmfc

New member
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Jenison, MI
No response yet?


Does anyone actually read these things? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: <---That, by the way, is the gayest looking roll-eyes smiley I've ever seen. I'm almost reluctant to use it. Time for another suggestion...
 

thejmfc

New member
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by jeremy@Sep 9 2005, 10:39 AM
FWIW: It has been read.
[snapback]12246[/snapback]​
Thanks. I now have a small glimmer of hope that I have not posted in vain.
 

carguybob

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
thejmfc said:
My humble suggestion is to add some divisions, or subcategories, of models in the forum.

For example, the Olds 88 forum. I think that it should at least be divided into FWD ('86 and up) and RWD categories, as the two have absolutely nothing in common. Ditto the Cutlass Supreme. Obviously, many models won't have this problem (an Intrigue is an Intrigue, etc.).

On the other hand, you could even lump together models that were directly replaced by another model, with the model that replaced them (Cutlass Supreme/Intrigue, Achieva/Alero, perhaps more).

Perhaps also dividing cars by FWD and RWD? Like grouping all of the FWD cars together, and all of the RWD cars together... just a thought.
Totally agreed on this.

I also suggest that news or lists of discontinued parts for different model Oldsmobiles be added to that list.
 

CutlassSupreme3800

New member
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Michigan
I can't speak for Sal, but im sure hes read this. So we'll wait for his reply on the matter. Im pretty sure though this has been covered a few times though.
 

jacke chilson

New member
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
375
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
67
Location
rochester ny
This division is needed my 72 cutlass has as much in common as the wright flier and the space shuttle when compared to the fwd cars. Please with sugar on top. :D
 

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
753
Reaction score
0
Points
18
Okay. So somebody come-up with a layout you'd like.. I don't want to combine sections like the Achieva and the Alero, but the FWD / RWD thing is not a problem. We'll just need our moderators to move the topics from one forum to another after the change.. I'll help as well..

So if somebody can give me a list of which forums should be split into FWD/RWD, I'd appreciate it.. I'll get a move on this afterwards...
 

jeremy

The Topless Administrator
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
2,628
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Canton, MI
I don't think seperating into just RWD vs FWD is what he meant. I think he meant starting sub-forums for Cutlass. Something like

- Cutlass (main forum)
- Supreme (RWD)
- Supreme (FWD)
- Ciera, other

- 88s (main forum)
- FWD
- RWD

I certainly wouldn't recommend combining Achieva, Alero, Intrigue, etc just because they are FWD
 

texasred

New member
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
San Antonio, TX
Good call! There's another Olds forum that has just FWD and RWD categories...no model breakdown. Also Transmission, Suspension, and Electrics. You'd actually be surprized how much the models are alike when broken down like that. A TH-350 is a TH-350 and a 307 is a 307, whether in a Delta or a Cutlass. I can't speak for cross-model FWDs.

Take a look at:
www.oldspower.com
www.classicoldsmobile.com
www.realoldspower.com
www.oldsconnetion.com
www.oldsmobileforum.com
www.americanoldsmobile.com
www.rocket-olds.com
http://megatron.stonehill.edu/forum/
and the old standby, www.442.com

You can see what looks good, what works, and what is dead as a doornail.

C.J.
 
Last edited:

texasred

New member
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
San Antonio, TX
Howzabout this for models:
FWD OLDS
Achieva
Alero
Aurora
Cutlass/442
Intrigue
Toronado
88/98
RWD OLDS
Cutlass/442/F-85
88/98
Other
OTHER MODELS
Bravada
Silhoutte
Other

Everything else can stay the same, except break down Classifieds to Cars FS, Cars Wanted, Parts FS, Parts Wanted.

Whadaya think?

C.J.
 

thejmfc

New member
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Jenison, MI
jeremy said:
I don't think seperating into just RWD vs FWD is what he meant. I think he meant starting sub-forums for Cutlass. Something like

- Cutlass (main forum)
- Supreme (RWD)
- Supreme (FWD)
- Ciera, other

- 88s (main forum)
- FWD
- RWD

I certainly wouldn't recommend combining Achieva, Alero, Intrigue, etc just because they are FWD
Perfect! I think that this approach is the best. Keep the models as they are, but then create more specific sub-forums for the FWD and RWD models.

The only reason that I recommended combining the Achieva and Alero is that the Alero replaced the Achieva. If Olds hadn't decided on a new name, they would have all been Achievas anyway. The cars are mechanically similar, and combining them would also combine the knowledge of both groups, hopefully generating quicker and better responses to questions about both models. Also the 88 and 98 (at least in FWD form) are virtually the same car. Same reasoning as above. Unpopular idea, it seems, but I'm stickin' to it. :D

texasred said:
Howzabout this for models:
FWD OLDS
Achieva
Alero
Aurora
Cutlass/442
Intrigue
Toronado
88/98
RWD OLDS
Cutlass/442/F-85
88/98
Other
OTHER MODELS
Bravada
Silhoutte
Other

Everything else can stay the same, except break down Classifieds to Cars FS, Cars Wanted, Parts FS, Parts Wanted.
I like that idea too, but I fear that people would click on their model in the wrong category (ie. FWD when their car is RWD, etc.) If it was obvious enough, it might work okay.

I also agree about splitting the classifieds, at least into "for sale", and "wanted" sections. I don't think that it has to be split into "cars" and "parts" though.

Thanks for the attention. :thumbsup:
 

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
753
Reaction score
0
Points
18
Both ideas are great but I'm probably leaning toward Jeremy's format because it won't alter the format we have very much. I'd like to keep the most recent years on top, since those models will be with us the longest, and so on.. As soon as I get to a computer (I'm on a PDA right now) I'll make these changes.. Probably tomorrow morning some time...

Oh, the classifieds idea is good as well.. I'll be making that change too...
 
Top