Disc Brake Conversion 72 442

Rocketguy

Reaction score
Hello jpru and welcome to the forum!

I believe these kits are made by The Right Stuff and I have installed them. The installation was straight forward and the difference it makes is incredible.

The two biggest surprises were that the bracket for the rear brake hose has to be welded to the axle and due to the thickness of the rear rotors longer wheel studs had to be installed.

Since most of the cars I work on have low vacuum cam shafts I will not install power brakes with this kit again; I'll use a manual disc master cylinder.

steve3443

Reaction score
Hello jpru and welcome to the forum!

I believe these kits are made by The Right Stuff and I have installed them. The installation was straight forward and the difference it makes is incredible.

The two biggest surprises were that the bracket for the rear brake hose has to be welded to the axle and due to the thickness of the rear rotors longer wheel studs had to be installed.

Since most of the cars I work on have low vacuum cam shafts I will not install power brakes with this kit again; I'll use a manual disc master cylinder.

You hit on an important thing when you talked about low (engine?) vacuum (although not sure what you mean about cam shafts - mine is original):

Some time ago I did install a front brake disc conversion (also from opg) on my 1970 cutlass s holiday coupe with 350 2bbl and my issue
with it was the vacuum pressure needed to make the brakes to work is higher than standard drum brakes and even though I installed
the new vacuum booster that came with the kit, the vacuum pressure was hovering near the minimum for it to work and the brake performance
was not great.
I may re-install my original brake booster as it is a bigger unit but I'm not sure.
Haven't driven it much due also to chronic engine/coolant overheating issue despite completely rebuilt and new 4 core rad.