dash warning lights

ewh

Reaction score
Update
Ok so far, no dash lights coming on (Anti Lock, PCS, Trac off, and Service Vehicle soon).
Hopefully the brake light switch replace solved the issue.
Will post more updates.

sparcx

Reaction score
Update
Ok so far, no dash lights coming on (Anti Lock, PCS, Trac off, and Service Vehicle soon).
Hopefully the brake light switch replace solved the issue.
Will post more updates.
if that works, it will be random luck as i don't remember even seeing a post about a brake light switch problem on this car.

IIRC, an ABS scan will usually reveal a Wheel Hub, Sensor Harness, or EBTCM being the problem because of the age of our vehicles. Those are the one's that come up somewhat often on the forums.

Last edited:

ewh

Reaction score
Hey Sparcx
why is it random luck? I have been working on autos for 35 years.
The brake light switch has the anti lock. traction control and pcs wired into it.
I had the same issue on my Mercedes and that was the solution.
I replaced my wheel hubs on Intrigue about 3000 miles ago as they were grinding.
The brake light switch was only $14 on ebay, and 10 minutes to replace.
If by chance it did not work, I would have rebuilt the EBTCM.
My point is try this first for $14 and no time involved.
Sometimes its the easy fix that works.
BTW:
Update my dash lights have not come on since replacing the brake light switch.
Nice!

sparcx

Reaction score
Usually we go by a little more diagnosis. I know all you're saying is that it's cheap, so why not guess and give it a try.

It would have been nice to know which ABS codes actually showed up for you even if the switch is indeed the problem. That would have been a lot more helpful to people like me who are trying to sort out ABS issues. I don't have the time and money to just guess on parts.

Here is a scanner for ~$90 that will read GM ABS codes, but does not have real-time data display:

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3100-Diagnostic-Battery-Vehicles/dp/B000EVWDAK/

INNOVA 3100 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS and Battery Backup for OBD2 Vehicles

http://innova.com/Content/Support/Downloads/051812_31X0b ABS_Chart_Final.pdf

Thanks cutlass350! If I keep my car much longer, I might invest in this. Seems inexpensive enough.

Last edited:

ewh

Reaction score
Sparcx, i hear you.
but it is cheaper than a code reader.
also its an educated guess.
I did the wheel hubs with sensors recently.
So it is the ebtcm or the switch.
and as I stated 2 weeks ago I had the same issue in my ML320, went benzworld.org and several posts about the brake light switch fault.
Makes sense as it is wired to the abs system.
But for $14 and 10 minutes I did not have to buy a code reader.
and autozone could not read any codes when i brought it to them.
Just try the brake light switch.

ewh

Reaction score
Sparcx try this test.
I picked it up from benzworld.org

Depress brake pedal, hold down
Start Car, keep pedal down
If the dash lights do not come on then release.
If they come on after releasing the pedal the brake light switch is faulty.

Try it and let me know.

Evgeny

Reaction score
I have observed interesting issue regarding ABS lights on my Intrigue 2000. When I have replaced my rear brake/stop bulbs - all 4 of them with LED lamps - I have got ABS lights on.
After I returned back original 4 bulbs and ABS was fine. How it related to EBCM/ABS - not clear, at this test the voltage was in range of 14-14.2V. Also attention shall be to relays - they could have burned contacts - one day my daytime run lights failed due to such relay. I have question, if somebody could give idea. I have Body control module and engine control module from another Intrigue and I know this modules are fine. But they refuse to work in my car, as I understand some security issue kind of internal numbers do not match. How to reprogram them or enable to work on my car. As I know ignition key has some small electronic module with 3 wires

ewh

Reaction score
Light Emitting Diodes use Direct Current from a Driver. the Driver is internal or external, in this case it is internal to the lamp. Basically the Driver converts the AC to DC to supply to the Diodes. The DC voltage may be different at that point and mess with the EBCTM because the lamps are wired into the brake light switch which is wired to the ABS.

Follow Up to my brake light switch replace:
No ABS,PCS,Service Vehicle, or Trac off lights on the dash since installing the new switch. About 300 miles and countless start/stops.

sparcx

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for posting all of this. Exact three same codes c0550, c0898, c0896 just lit up for me on my 2000 intrigue. They just randomly show up in the middle of a drive and then clear at the next startup. Starting to get more and more common though.

I'll give a shot at getting the module rebuilt.

Folowup to this post and Krivasold's page for removal instructions on the ABS module....

I had trouble getting the bottom right torx screw out because an AC line was in the way so I had to take it into a mechanic. He ended up putting a small wedge in underneath the module and pump to get more clearance. Didn't cost me much since I had most everything that was in the way already out.

I used T20 torx for the screws instead of the T15 in Krivasolds page. Seemed to fit better.

I sent my module into a rebuilder about a week ago and it came back today. Rebuilder included a note that said it did test out as defective and they were able to repair it.

That just leaves me with reinstallation of the module. I'll post a followup when i'm sure everything is fixed.

Corky

Reaction score
sparcx,
Ya, that lower right torx is a bear to get at. Easier when I loosened both mounting nuts on either side of module and lifted unit. Watch putting those screws back in, make sure they are tight in the torx socket or torx driver or you will lose them. I used a small piece of paper wedged between screw and torx driver to hold screw on driver. There are several other methods to hold the screw on the driver, but this worked well. Sounds like the rebuilder found an issue - let's hope your dash lights go out & remain out.

I chased this problem on and off for a year until I finally got the unit scanned. Turned out to be LF problem that was a bad wire between EBTCM and LF control arm. Finally fixed and all dash lights out - it's a good feeling when all is right (just waiting for the next issue).:thumbsup:
Corky

sparcx

Reaction score
Got it all back together myself ....

With the EBTCM out, i was able to get my fingers under the BPMV and lift it up just a tiny bit. Then I re-tightened one of the two nuts that holds the BPMV in place so it's held in that higher position. That gave me just enough room to get that bottom right t20 torx bolt back in. I very lightly tightened all the EBTCM bolts and then carefully torqued them.

It's been about three days since i've had the repaired EBTCM reinstalled and no lights. Before the fix, the ABS related lights would turn on at least once during an outing until the car cools and restarts (and progressively getting worse). My power steering feels a lot better now too which makes me wonder if this module was acting up even before the codes set.

I used Matt over at CheapABS to do the module repair. He's pretty well known for fixing VW/Audi Bosch modules. Besides his website, he also has a CheapABS Listing on Ebay to repair this module which is a tad bit cheaper. You just send it off to him in the mail and it magically shows back up at your doorstep about a week after he gets it. On ebay, Matt will message you mailing instructions after you complete the purchase.

If you have the same codes and symptoms previously mentioned, getting the module repaired is a no brainer. I covered up the electrical connectors and the BPMV for the week the module was missing as the car is still temporarily driveable without the EBTCM.

I also did a throttle plate cleaning before I put everything back together. Car feels a lot smoother now when accelerating.

Last edited:

sparcx

Reaction score
two weeks and no lights, so the module repair was definitely the fix for those previously mentioned ABS codes. Nice to have proper power steering again too.

DIYtech

Reaction score
two weeks and no lights, so the module repair was definitely the fix for those previously mentioned ABS codes. Nice to have proper power steering again too.
Hi, can you tell me where you had it rebuilt at, I think i need to get mine done.