dash warning lights

mctod22

Reaction score
I have a 2000 intrigue with a 3.5 engine that has the anti lock light, the brake light, the trac off light, Pcs light, and service vehicle soon light all on. It seems to drive and stop fine I looked in the owners manual about the lights and it kind of seemed like that one problem might be causing them all. The car is new to me so I don't know what all has been done in past I do know that brakes and rotors have recently been changed. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

swagled

Reaction score
Total crapshoot guess without knowing the trouble codes.

But it's rare for the body control module or power control modules to fail (the on board computers which decide to throw one of the idiot lights on). You probably have some wiring damage, something ungrounded, etc.

Test a hard stop, does the anti-lock work? Try launching the car in sand or mud, does the low trac work?

The service engine light could be as simple as a loose gas gap, or involve replacing sensors on the car. Does it start easily? Idle properly?

I'd advice lining up some more answers on how the car performs and then take it to someone who knows how to diagnose electrical issues. Don't assume the usual tire & auto place can. Find someone who is an ASE that's spent a lot of time around GM cars

crash55

Reaction score
my 2 cents say to check the wheel sensors & wires that connect to them. the wires tend to break near where the control arms meet the frame

mctod22

Reaction score
The wheel sensors don't seem to have anything obviously wrong with them

christauph

Reaction score
They are all related to the ABS system, generally if you have a wiring or sensor fault, you will get all of those lights. The service vehicle soon light is for chassis faults (like abs) and is totally separate from the service ENGINE soon light. You should find someone with a code reader that can read chassis codes (some auto parts stores have them, some only read engine codes). That will let you narrow down the fault so you at least know which wheel. Once you figure out the wheel, check all wiring from the sensor to the harness, and the harness to the ABS control module. Check resistance here. Wiring can go bad without any outward physical signs. ABS modules are also known to go bad, but you really don't know anything until you get those chassis codes read.

justtrying

Reaction score
Some of these major brand Code Readers are fairly low cost, so what have users here found to be the more cost effective (and useful) ones/or not? A good investment for people that do many of their own repairs on older vehicles?

mctod22

Reaction score
I got the codes read it had three codes. They were c0550, c0898, c0896. I looked them up and the c0550 was listed as Ecu malfunction. C0896 is listed as device voltage range performance. C0896 was not listed anywhere I looked. I was thinking down the line of having to replace the electronic brake control module.

mctod22

Reaction score
Been doing some more looking around on the Internet and found quite a few things posted with the same problem I'm having. And everyone is the ebtcm I found a place that can rebuild it with a lifetime warranty for 75 bucks. When I take it off is the car okay to drive til I get the module back

christauph

Reaction score
Been doing some more looking around on the Internet and found quite a few things posted with the same problem I'm having. And everyone is the ebtcm I found a place that can rebuild it with a lifetime warranty for 75 bucks. When I take it off is the car okay to drive til I get the module back

Yes. And,

C0896: Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) voltage is outside the normal range of 9 to 15.5 volts

mctod22

Reaction score
I have finally replaced the module with a rebuilt abs module my abs lights went off but my Pcs light and trac light is still on. Do I need to have it reset.or if anybody has any ideas of what I might check. Tomorrow I will go and have codes read again.

mctod22

Reaction score
Did a little messing around in the parking lot when I turn the car off and back on the lights don't come on. When I move in reverse the lights don't come on. When I put it in drive they do but not immediately just a few seconds. When I put it in park sometimes they go off after a few seconds or so, but always go off after I turn it off and back on. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks

sparcx

Reaction score
I got the codes read it had three codes. They were c0550, c0898, c0896. I looked them up and the c0550 was listed as Ecu malfunction. C0896 is listed as device voltage range performance. C0896 was not listed anywhere I looked. I was thinking down the line of having to replace the electronic brake control module.
Thanks a bunch for posting all of this. Exact three same codes c0550, c0898, c0896 just lit up for me on my 2000 intrigue. They just randomly show up in the middle of a drive and then clear at the next startup. Starting to get more and more common though.

I'll give a shot at getting the module rebuilt.

Last edited:

sparcx

Reaction score
I also found this thread on the bonneville forums to be relevant as well: http://www.bonnevillepro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=15693

small excerpt that explains why your power steering might also feel partially disabled as well:

The C0550 code is an internal ecu malfuction code. This is the code that sets when the brain of the system has an internal problem This will keep the abs and traction control systems from working. This also affects the variable effort steering system. The only fix for this is to replace the EBCM (electronic brake control module or abs module).

Click that bonneville forum link for more detailed explanations.

Last edited:

ewh

Reaction score
Hey sparcx, I just had my dash lights going on as well intermittently.
check vehicle, trac off, pcs and anti lock.

My wheel hubs are new and I check the wires anyway. all fine.

Interestingly I just had my mercedes ml320 with the same issue.
The fix was a new brake pedal light switch.

So I just installed one on my intrigue today to see if it solves.
If it does not work I will remove the ecbtm and have rebuilt.

I will drive care a few days and let you know if the switch replace worked.

sparcx

Reaction score
Hey sparcx, I just had my dash lights going on as well intermittently.
check vehicle, trac off, pcs and anti lock.

My wheel hubs are new and I check the wires anyway. all fine.

Interestingly I just had my mercedes ml320 with the same issue.
The fix was a new brake pedal light switch.

So I just installed one on my intrigue today to see if it solves.
If it does not work I will remove the ecbtm and have rebuilt.

I will drive care a few days and let you know if the switch replace worked.
is it setting the same C0550 codes? that indicates an internal fault in the EBTCM.

you should get your brakes scanned to figure it out.

ewh

Reaction score
I tried to get codes at Autozone, no codes.
But from what I am reading on this forum I need a code reader for ABS system?

So no I have not read any codes yet.
But for $14 switch I will see if it works.
It worked on my ML320.

I have 138,000 on my 2000 Sterling Edition Intrigue so it could be the ebtcm.
Can I buy a code scanner for that?

Cutlass350

Reaction score
I tried to get codes at Autozone, no codes.
But from what I am reading on this forum I need a code reader for ABS system?

You need an OBD-II scanner that can also display ABS codes. Like with cars, the additional features/options cost more. So, a cheap OBD-II scanner may be $40 and just show numbers.

For ~$150-$200, you can get a scanner that can display real-time data, ABS, and air-bag codes.

Here is a scanner for ~$90 that will read GM ABS codes, but does not have real-time data display:

3100e_kit-New.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3100-Diagnostic-Battery-Vehicles/dp/B000EVWDAK/

INNOVA 3100 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader with ABS and Battery Backup for OBD2 Vehicles

http://innova.com/Content/Support/Downloads/051812_31X0b ABS_Chart_Final.pdf

Here is a scanner for ~$180 that will read GM ABS codes, and has real-time data display:

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3160-Diagnostic-Scan-Vehicles/dp/B001QIUGVI/
INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles
Price: $179.10
0004217303160_300X300.jpg

Comparison Chart:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.../detail-page/Innova-Comparison-Chart-2012.pdf

Good Luck!

Last edited:

ewh

Reaction score
Thanks Cutlass350 for the info!

So far with the new brake light switch no issues.
Going for a longer drive with multiple start/stops today.
Will post updates.