Coolant Crossover Leak

James Symonds

Reaction score
My 2001 Intrigue has been leaking coolant and my GM dealer indicated that it is caused by a leaking coolant crossover. The cost to repair is more than $1000
Is this a reasonable charge and is there another possible cause for this leak? THe engine is not overheating and car runs normally

billcarson

Reaction score
that sounds a bit high as you are basically paying for a gasket and antifreeze.the labor is to remove all the stuff in the way including a section of the exhaust manifold to reach some of the bolts.in this photo of someone adapting a 3.5 to another car you get a good view of the crossover pipe,more of a mini manifold than a pipe.it is under the throttle body and brings coolant to the both heads. good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

tow2topgun

Reaction score
Coolant bypass elbow leak

Does anyone have any diagram showing how to complete this repair?
Just replaced the upper and lower manifolds and gaskets due to them leaking and then this elbow starts leaking... HELP please!

wglassbrook

Reaction score
I'm pretty much in the same boat with my '98 Aurora. Leaking Crossover gaskets. If you could post an update to this thread if you've received an answer, or what you finally did that would be fantastic.

BonzoHansen

Reaction score
Getting that exhaust pipe out looks like a bear. It appears the rear exhaust manifold needs to come out to get that crossover out. I think mine is weeping too, but I'm gonna let it go for a while.

billcarson

Reaction score
it must just be moved a bit to reach the bolts.it does not have to come out completely.

jeff1234

Reaction score
2000 olds intrique crossover pipe to get ect sensor out

Im trying to get my coolant temp sensor out it says to remove crossover pipe,was wondering if i took the front ones off if it would move enough to get a socket on with out damaging pipe? Thank you for any help you can give me.

swagled

Reaction score
The crossover pipe seems to be the bane of 3.5L engines like the lower intake manifold is on the 3.8. It's a lot of work in a tight space just to replace 3 little gaskets.

Can't really advise you, it's way more than I'd tackle on my own. I've been putting this off on my own car, figure I'll get the water pump replaced first since that's cheaper. Cross my fingers that's where most of the coolant loss is.

Last edited:

krivasolds

Reaction score
I've been putting this off on my own car, figure I'll get the water pump replaced first since that's cheaper.

Water pump is too easy to pay someone to do:

http://99intrigue.shutterfly.com/waterpump

Im trying to get my coolant temp sensor out it says to remove crossover pipe,was wondering if i took the front ones off if it would move enough to get a socket on with out damaging pipe? Thank you for any help you can give me.

What front ones?

Some have replaced the coolant crossover gaskets by prying on the exhaust crossover pipe. I was too chicken to try it that way. I did the coolant crossover gaskets when I did the head gasket, and removed the right (rear) exhaust manifold bolts. It was challenging.

These may help:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Hkpchevy

Reaction score
I did this the other day by myself. I will admit. It did suck. The way I did it was I took all the air intake out. Took the throttle body off. Then on the cross over exhaust pipe. Them two bolts that hold that take them out. I got a wratchet and socket with and elbo so it made it easier to get that angle to the bolts. Then once I got all the bolts I could out of the coolant cross over. I put a long pry bar in between the engine an the pipe. Pryed on it just enough to get the bolts out. Then the coolant cross over DOES come out a sertain way. Just mess with it a min you should be able to figure that out if you have mad it that far. Clean it all up put new gaskets on (on the cross over) with the bolts in it to help hold the gasket. then put the coolant cross over back on start your bolts. You WILL have to pry on that pipe again. And it only ha to move like 1/4 to half and inch. And then just out everything back on. That's it. Bolt your pipe back up and don't forget that. Also! The way I got to the bolts on the pipe was I jacked the car up and got long extension with socket. Again with that elbo socket to make it easier. Well that's how I did it. Took me 2 an a half hour non stop. Well I hope this was any help! Also I had to get them 3 stupid gaskets strate from Chevy dealer. Also there not called (cross over gaskets)!!! The stupid things are called water outlet gaskets. I looked every where for engine cross over gaskets ! Ha ended up there called water outlet gaskets

505_pike

Reaction score
Noticed people say you can get the cross over gaskets from Rockauto, could someone tell me what catagory it's listed under, I've looked under every catagory and can't find them and I've got to flush the cooling system and figure it would be smart to just go ahead with this newly discovered cross-over mess. Thanks for any help.

505_pike

Reaction score
Nevermind, apparently they're called water outlet gaskets, was thinking they would have coolant cross-over in the name.

G

G-628387

I'm pretty much in the same boat with my '98 Aurora. Leaking Crossover gaskets. If you could post an update to this thread if you've received an answer, or what you finally did that would be fantastic.
Hi someone help.i have a intrigue in minds doing the same thing i was gonna be charged 1000 bucks to this is ridiculous