Clicking noise when I accelerate

Alphid

Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to diagnois a sound coming fromthe engine of my 2001 Olds Alero, 3.4 V6.
Everytime that I accelerate I hear a clicking noise from my engine. When I take my foot off the gas or I push the gas in neutral/park I don't hear anything. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what this could be from? We thoughts is that it has something to do with an exhaust disconnect, but I'm not really sure.

Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

A
P.S. I just found this site and it's great.

RoraStar96

Reaction score
Do you think its coming from the engine or is it a throttle sound?. Sometimes if the TB is dirty it can make some odd noises. Esp when there is significantly more load put on the car in D as opposed to P/N

Alphid

Reaction score
Originally posted by RoraStar96@Apr 19 2004, 02:09 PM
Do you think its coming from the engine or is it a throttle sound?. Sometimes if the TB is dirty it can make some odd noises. Esp when there is significantly more load put on the car in D as opposed to P/N
THanks for the quick reply backm to me.
I am not sure what TB is that your are referring to is, please explain if you will?

I do sometimes put some extra load on the car when carrying extra people/equipment/etc.. but this noise happens when I am driving in normal conditions. I am thinking that is has something to do with the throttle because it lets up when I let up on the gas. But with myself saying this and with my previous post would that mean that it posible isn't the throttle?

I'm confused as you can see. :huh:

Thanks again,
A :huh:

RoraStar96

Reaction score
TB= Throttle Body, its a part of the air intake system. Sometimes if its dirty it could contribute to odd sounds.

Another possibility. In my old Bonneville, (that my friend now owns) he had some clicking coming from somewhere in the engine turned out it was the water pump. :blink:

It could be a whole host of issues that are difficult to pinpoint.

When I refered to load I didnt mean weight in the car, I mean load on the transmission...when a car is in drive there is more load on the engine/tranny then when in P or N ;)

I'm sure more fellers here will pipe up :ph34r:

Brett

Reaction score
I cant find a TSB for your problem so its probably not common.....of course that doesnt help you much

quantum110

Reaction score
Hmm...it only hapens when your moving so I would want to say Axles or Tranny.

Alphid

Reaction score
I will be bringing my car into the shop for some routine maintanance and will ask them what they feel it might be. If I/you could physically hear it from the outside of the car it would be easier to determine exactly where the sound is coming from. I will report back to you in regards to what, if any, solutions that I find.

Like I said the car has 50000 miles on it and will be changing the tranny fluid very soon. I am sure that does not have anything to it.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Rambo

Reaction score
Did you ever get the sound figured out? I've noticed that my car ocassionaly makes a bit of a clicking sound on acceleration to. Let me know what you found out. Thanks!

-Kevin

Alphid

Reaction score
Yes, I did find out what the issue is. The last time I changed my air filter on my manifold I must not have completly tightened the bolts down. Basically all I did was tighten these down and the sound went away. I was told by some who claims to be "car savy" that not having these clamped down tightly can caused this noise when accelerating.

Hope it's the same issue because it simple to fix. :)
:)