Cleaning Stainless Moldings

jasburns007

Reaction score
:) Hello! Does anyone out there have any good hints/tips/product ideas for cleaning stainless steel moldings. I have a 1983 98 Regency which I have been using a wee bit too much on our heavily salted winter roads in Scotland. Last year this didnt seem to be a problem however this year the salt seems more aggressive. I gave the car a good wash today and I cant get the muck and staining off the moldings along the bottom of the car. I had a quick shot with some Brasso ( a kind of polishing wool- dunno if its called the same in the US) and will try some Autosol metal polish on it tomorrow. If anybody knows better ways to clean it up let me know as the cars looking ugly just now!!
Cheers folks.
Jas

davedbusman

Reaction score
Greetings to Scotland!

I've used Brasso in the US Navy many years ago to clean, you guessed it, brass. I've had good luck on stainless with 00 grade steel wool. I think it might work better than Brasso. Don't use Scotch-Bright (no offense please) on stainless as this will scratch it.

jasburns007

Reaction score
Cheers Dave! Happy New Year by the way. I'll try and get a hold of some of that in work tomorrow ( RAF - Tornado(!) airframe tech) we keep loads of good stuff! I assume those moldings are stainless rather than aluminium. We use stuff called Wadpol (posh Brasso) on aircraft ally quite often and it can give a beautiful finish after its been polished with fine abrasive paper. I've also got a hold of Meguiars nxt metal polish. Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers again.
Jas