Changing plugs on 98 Aurora

luciousleftfoot

Reaction score
I"ve had alittle schooling on cars, but how do you change the spark plugs on this vehicle. It looked easy, until I saw that the plugs are inside the valve cover. Has anyone successfully changed the plugs on the 4.0 V8 model?

akble

Reaction score
just pull out the plug wire and have ratchet extension for your socket

96OldsAurora

Reaction score
The front ones are easy just get an extension and use spark plug socket....now the back ones are kind of tricky to reach. Now you don't HAVE to take off the ignition coils, but it makes changing the plugs much easier, once those are out of the way just pull the rubber plug off and do the same as the front. Then just make sure you put the plug wires back on the correct plugs and your finished. Hope that helps!!!

96Aurora

First, take some tape and wrap it around each plug wire separatly, then label each wire according to the cylinder number. Use a spark plug socket and extention rod. Make sure your socket has the rubber gromett inside so it can pull the plugs out. Remove the front plugs and replace. Don't forget to put a little dielectric greast in the plug wire boot, this helps for later removal and keeping the connection clean. You might also use a little anti seise grease on the threads of the plugs as these are aluminum heads.

Next, you should really remove the coil packs unless you want your back to ache, your arm and nuckles to be scratched and you want to cuss alot. It is much easier if you do so. Now, if you can't slide the socket with the extension rod down together, drop the socket down there then slide in the rod and connect them in the "hole".

It is highly recommended to replace the plug wires at the same time. To do this remove one at a time and match the length with the new replacement wires. It is best on the Aurora engines to use AC Delco plugs. The engine is very tempermental with anything else. Also, use AC plug wires or another good wire. Don't go with el-cheapo's or you will get lots of stumbling with your engine.

Hope this helps!

luciousleftfoot

Reaction score
Sounds easy! When I pull a wire out of it's socket, it is a narrow column. I can't see how a spark plug can come out of this tiny hole, without removing the valve covers.

G

G-443054

First, take some tape and wrap it around each plug wire separatly, then label each wire according to the cylinder number. Use a spark plug socket and extention rod. Make sure your socket has the rubber gromett inside so it can pull the plugs out. Remove the front plugs and replace. Don't forget to put a little dielectric greast in the plug wire boot, this helps for later removal and keeping the connection clean. You might also use a little anti seise grease on the threads of the plugs as these are aluminum heads.

Next, you should really remove the coil packs unless you want your back to ache, your arm and nuckles to be scratched and you want to cuss alot. It is much easier if you do so. Now, if you can't slide the socket with the extension rod down together, drop the socket down there then slide in the rod and connect them in the "hole".

It is highly recommended to replace the plug wires at the same time. To do this remove one at a time and match the length with the new replacement wires. It is best on the Aurora engines to use AC Delco plugs. The engine is very tempermental with anything else. Also, use AC plug wires or another good wire. Don't go with el-cheapo's or you will get lots of stumbling with your engine.

Hope this helps!
Help me! So this is ridiculous I have been sitting here for like an hour trying to take the wires off of the spark plugs and literally someone try to put some elbow grease into it and broke my wire and a half so I don’t know how to KK this off and I am Trippin because I don’t know how to get my spark plugs out because my wires the rubber wires won’t even come off