Blinking Engine light on a 2001 Olds Aurora 4.0?

seany p

Reaction score
Too make a long story short. My car battery died a month ago. I replaced the battery and everything in my car reset. I went to the shop to turn off an engine light that has been on for over a year and half that has a code that reads (evap leak). Weird thing is, now the car engine light is back on, which I am used too, but it starts to blink when I get over 20mph? I took it to my local mechanic, and he told me that a code is coming up that I have a random misfire in one of my cylinders. I have been driving it for about a month now and knock on wood, it has been fine? My mechanic took it for a spin, and he said he didn't feel anything either as far as a misfire issue? Too be honest, I have no car knowledge when it comes to this stuff, so what should I do? It seems like every time it gets looked at, everybody is stumped and they just tell me to drive until I feel some sort of symptom. I guess i am just trying to avoid a scenario like that. This dang car has so many sensors its pissing me off!!! LOL

So much for keeping the story short!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

rustyballs_69

Reaction score
Did they say what cylinder? If so swap a spark plug from another cylinder into the one that was misfiring. Go get the codes read again and see if the misfire is from the same cylinder. If its not then the plug is bad. If its the same cylinder then its something else like a plug wire or coil. Don't let a misfire keep going, when it doesn't burn the fuel in the cylinder it gets pushed in the catalytic converter, which is so hot the fuel explodes and destroys the catalytic converter, which will cost a lot more in the long run.

sall

Reaction score
The first place you need to start is to do a fuel pressure test. This will fill you in on whether it is the fuel pressure regulator or possibly your fuel pump on its last leg.

You can see if your FPR is bad by removing the hose connected to your FPR, if there is gas inside the line, your FPR diaphragm is shot and FPR needs replaced.

If nothing wrong with fuel pressure, move onto plugs and wires. Only feeds these vehicles AC Delco plugs and wires. Trust me!

If still doesn't fix you're problem or no issues found with plugs/wires you may have a coil or two going bad.

Hope this helps you out. I just had same problem on my 96. Following these procedures helped me. I replaced fuel filter plug and wires and misfire is gone. :)