Antenna

Stephen0523

Reaction score
Could someone tell me how I would know if my antenna is a power antenna or fixed antenna? I inherited the 84 Delta 88 Royal Brougham from my uncles and I'm wondering how to fix it or does it need to be fixed?

Attachments

D. Yaros

Reaction score
I cannot believe you have not had a response.

The simple way to tell if your antenna is powered is to look for an antenna switch on the dash. If there is not one to be seen, that is a clue it is a manual antenna.

Is the antenna mounted on a front fender or in the trunk? Can you see a large round housing on the bottom of the unit? That is where the nylon cable that drives the mast is located on power antennas.

amcnut

Reaction score
Power antennas on cars of this vintage were 100% automatic, they went up when the radio turned on and back down when the radio was turned off. There was no separate antenna switch, so that is not a good way to determine if it's power.

The power antenna will have a mast that has separate sections that telescope down into a well in the fender.
The non-power antenna on this car (if not embedded in the windshield--look for two wires running right up the center of the windshield) will be also fender mounted, but it's a solid stainless steel shaft that screws onto a base.

That's going to be your only reliable way to determine what you have.

hurricane62417

Reaction score
amcnut is 100% correct...if it doesn't have sections...its not powered
if it does...and doesn't move or you don't hear the motor making a sound for it
to go up and down when turning on/off the radio...it could be unplugged
from the motor or the motor is shot or a fuse is...