An Olds owner again

Kerry

Reaction score
The first car I ever bought for myself was a 1976 Cutlass Supreme Brougham and that was about 40 years ago. Decided to buy one of the last land yachts recently, a 1976 Toronado Brougham. Eighteen feet of floating sofa, has the 455 Rocket with a whopping 210hp w/370# feet torque. Gets about 8 MPG (if I'm gentle with her) in town. But there is nothing like driving this land yacht, just kind of point it in the right direction and float on down the road. I absolutely love it!

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first car I ever bought for myself was a 1976 Cutlass Supreme Brougham and that was about 40 years ago. Decided to buy one of the last land yachts recently, a 1976 Toronado Brougham. Eighteen feet of floating sofa, has the 455 Rocket with a whopping 210hp w/370# feet torque. Gets about 8 MPG (if I'm gentle with her) in town. But there is nothing like driving this land yacht, just kind of point it in the right direction and float on down the road. I absolutely love it!
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Have any pictures of your boat? :p I do miss floaty rides...

Kerry

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, appreciate it. I've always had a soft spot for the land yachts (once had an '86 Town Car, used to sit at traffic lights and watch the digital fuel gauge go down). Here's a few photos from when I had it inspected. toro 1.jpgtoro 3.jpg

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, appreciate it. I've always had a soft spot for the land yachts (once had an '86 Town Car, used to sit at traffic lights and watch the digital fuel gauge go down). Here's a few photos from when I had it inspected. View attachment 1731View attachment 1733
Your Toronado Brougham is in great shape! It must be nice riding a car like that these days...

Kerry

Reaction score
It is! It has been repainted, but everything else is original. As far as I know, it's been a desert SW car (SoCal and AZ) There's a few things that aren't working: AC only blows the same at any setting (low), the radio, clock, and antennae aren't working, and the fuel gauge isn't working correctly (only goes to 1/2 tank when it's filled up). Any thoughts on what to look for?

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is! It has been repainted, but everything else is original. As far as I know, it's been a desert SW car (SoCal and AZ) There's a few things that aren't working: AC only blows the same at any setting (low), the radio, clock, and antennae aren't working, and the fuel gauge isn't working correctly (only goes to 1/2 tank when it's filled up). Any thoughts on what to look for?
Sounds like you have a fun project on your hands. I'm not the most technical person when it comes to repairs - but perhaps start a discussion with the issues in the title and somebody more knowledgeable will come along to help...