AC Blows Hot Air Driver Side, Cold Passenger

Figue57

Reaction score
My 98 Intrigue AC blows hot air on the driver side vent, cold air on the passenger side vent. Tried disconnecting the battery, checking the position of the controls, fuses, etc. Nothing worked. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

U

Unregistered

me too!

I have the same problem but have searched the forums for an answer and haven't seen any. The A/C worked great, then one day it just started doing the same thing you mentioned. Warm air on the drivers side and cool(not cold) on the passenger side. Anyone one with a solution? Thanks!

U

Unregistered

Follow up

I saw this in another auto forum and tried it. It seems to work but it's really not hot enough to tell for sure. Both sides seem to be blowing air at the same temperature though. It's worth a shot.

Run car for 5 minutes with the A/C on.
Shut the car off and disconnect the battery. Wait about 10 seconds. Reconnect the battery.
Start the car and run it with the heat on for 5 minutes. Shut the car off. Restart the car and try the A/C.

Like I said it seemed to work for me. Let me know if it works for you. boatr35@aol.com
Good Luck!

rponder22

Reaction score
Answer: blowing hot air on one side

Answer

The car seems to do this after the battery is disconnected, I tried everything that I saw on the Internet. The only thing that worked for me (immediately) was to remove the a/c heat control unit from in the car, directly below your cars radio/head unit, the one with the knobs. Remove the two screws under your center consol/arm rest lid and the cover where the shifter is, pull it off, then the dash cover by genley pulling on it and remove the two screws on each side of the unit. Pull the unit out, unplug the wire harness and let it sit for 30 seconds. It will reset itself plug it back and the a/c will work again. Should take less than 5 minutes to do.

slickbatch

Reaction score
temp sensor

you could also clean out the temp sensor for the climate control... this is located just above your right knee when sitting in the drivers seat, its a little grate in the moulding under the steering wheel... this also helped with mine, it was caked with s**t and subsequently and for reasons unknown reporting that the air was cold enough and would shut off the ac on teh drivers side...

enjoy

Corky

Reaction score
This just started happening to my '99 Intrigue. I will fix it, but finding the time is the problem. First thing to do, put the system on the defrost mode and put the fan on high - Defrost air temp was freezing. Now I know I have a blend door/control issue not an A/C issue. When I dig in and find the answer to my problem I will post the solution.
COrky :thumbsup:

panther

Reaction score
The exact same thing happened to me, it was a slow leak in the AC condenser. The driver side went warm first then eventually the passenger side went. View my post from about 3 weeks ago for more detail.

Corky

Reaction score
Panther,
Thanks for the info. I read your solution and I will look over the condenser for any oily spots. Better a leak in the condenser than the evaporator!
Thanks Again,
Corky:thumbsup:

msg44

Reaction score
Panther,
Thanks for the info. I read your solution and I will look over the condenser for any oily spots. Better a leak in the condenser than the evaporator!
Thanks Again,
Corky:thumbsup:

Any updates? Keep us posted! Same problem here.

christauph

Reaction score
Yup, started happening to mine summer 2010, by this past spring it was all gone. I put more in, nice and cold until it leaked back out. I haven't taken the time to figure out where the leak is, will likely tackle it next spring.

krivasolds

Reaction score
Yup, started happening to mine summer 2010, by this past spring it was all gone. I put more in, nice and cold until it leaked back out. I haven't taken the time to figure out where the leak is, will likely tackle it next spring.

Very, very often, this is the compressor front seal leaking. You can see oil in this area, or use freon with dye and use a black light bulb from home depot in your drop light.

C&C

Reaction score
Very, very often, this is the compressor front seal leaking. You can see oil in this area, or use freon with dye and use a black light bulb from home depot in your drop light.

And there lies the conundrum; if the leak is small enough (and stays small) it is a lot more feasible to just add refrigerant seasonally (as opposed to replacing a compressor, which can get a little pricey).

christauph

Reaction score
And there lies the conundrum; if the leak is small enough (and stays small) it is a lot more feasible to just add refrigerant seasonally (as opposed to replacing a compressor, which can get a little pricey).

This is true, though in my case it emptied out in a week, so repair/replacement is my only option if I actually want A/C in the summer.

C&C

Reaction score
This is true, though in my case it emptied out in a week, so repair/replacement is my only option if I actually want A/C in the summer.

True that. And you also want a/c (in the winter) as it reduces/eliminates condensation inside your windows (as in defrost mode). Sorry, didn't know you had such a catastrophic leak; good luck with your repair.

christauph

Reaction score
True that. And you also want a/c (in the winter) as it reduces/eliminates condensation inside your windows (as in defrost mode). Sorry, didn't know you had such a catastrophic leak; good luck with your repair.

I agree, it's definitely helpful to have in the winter as well, but I've had so many cars with non-functioning (or never installed!) A/C over the years, I'll just be happy to get it working next summer. It's getting too cold for non-essential driveway repairs :D

belindadixon2019

Reaction score
Hi, there---- 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette Van's air conditioner is not blowing cold at all. HELP!!!!!!!!