99 Intrigue Engine Removal Problem

olgar2

Reaction score
My friend and are are trying to replace the engine in this 99 olds intrigue.. [3.5 litre twin-cam V-6]... oh.. we are trying to do this by taking the engine out of the top as that is about our only good option... it appears there is a belhousing bolt on the lower right.. [firewall side of engine] we can't figure out how to get this bolt out.. it seems the trans is directly in the way..

#1.. is there a bolt in both lower positions on this engine or might it be a pin??

Looking at the replacement engine from the rear I see the 2 top bolts..[we have them out]... then going down the left bank [radiator side] is a dead-end pin hole.. and then the bottom bolt hole with the threaded alignment pin...

Going down the right bank below the top threaded hole is another threaded alignment pin.. and then at the bottom.. the one I am having trouble with.. is a non-threaded hole.. is this a pin hole or is there a bolt through it attaching to the bell-housing??

Can some great soul hep us?? Thanks in advance.. Gary

intrigue35v6

Reaction score
The engine and trans is designed to be dropped together by dropping the cradle with engine and trans attached.

And then dettaching the engine and from the trans and working on it that way.

Trying to take it out the top will be extremley difficult as there is not enough space to seperate the engine and trans in the car and also get to alot of the bolts, it can be done but extremly diffcult and will take alot longer then dropping the cradle and seperated it that way.

If the vehicle is on a lift it typically takes me about 1 hour to dissconnect everything and drop the cradle.

But if you working without a lift it can still be dropped but will require some tall jackstands.

Last edited:

cmitcham

Reaction score
gary:

hopefully later today i will get us another opinion when i visit the place that has a used 3.5l waiting for me. since you have already found some engine to trans bolts, you do need to see what i found in the service manual - Important: The transmission-to-engine bolts must be returned to their original position. The bolt installed in position (5) is two millimeters shorter than the other transmission-to-engine bolts and requires the use of thread sealant.

olgar2

Reaction score
upper engine removal

Thank you both.. We did see in the manual that the bolts need to go back in the same holes with a locking compound.. We found the troublesome bolt I posted about and removed it by taking the right front wheel off and using a mile or so of extensions.. :)

I still want to hear of your later info you may get on upper removal.. Thanks again.. Gary..

cmitcham

Reaction score
what i heard today was two more votes for dropping the cradle. the new (good) info i got today was that if i think i have the equipment to hoist the engine out the hood opening, then i have all i need to raise the front end and get the cradle out the bottom.

keep us informed of your progress, saturday will be d-day for me.

olgar2

Reaction score
We took it out the top.. No harder than any other removal IMO.. I really can't see why to drop the cradle.. seems all our work [except maybe hood removal].. would still have to be done in *addition* to whatever dropping the cradle involved.. It also went back in w/o a hitch.. we are going to fire it up today or tomorrow..

BTW.. was interested.. are the heads on our old engine [rod-knock] worth anything?? $75 or a hundred fopr the pair?? This was a good running engine till the knock.. :) -Gar

S_Mazza

Reaction score
Before you toss the old engine, you might want to check on this ... If you remove the intake manifold, there is a cover over the balance shaft. Remove the cover and see if the bearings are still present at each end of the shaft.

On my car, one of the bearings walked out of place and left the shaft flopping around. It sounded really bad, like the bottom end had gone out. But I was able to replace the bearing and the car is running fine now.

I don't know what heads might fetch on the market. I really haven't heard of too many problems with 3.5L heads, so I don't know who is replacing them.

olgar2

Reaction score
Well.. the car is back on the road.. junk yard engine was a beaut.. but.. the engine we took out was also a junk yard engine.. it had a LKQ sticker.. Glad this thing isn't mine.. I'm used to running pretty trouble free for 250K or so then have to change the timing chain to milk the ol' truck for another couple hundred thousand miles!! (84 Mercedes 300 turbo diesel wagon).. 480,000..

Thanks all.. it's nice to be able to go on these groups for some info.. I would trust you answer guys on a group with my wallet.. Good folks... -Gar

cmitcham

Reaction score
my son's 99 intrigue is back on the road with its swapped 2000 3.5L. we too went out the top thanks to gary's findings. there were a couple of surprises with differences between the 99 and the 00, but nothing too bad.

i do have two follow-up questions, but will start a new thread for max exposure.

thanks gary!

superduperdave

Reaction score
engine removal

for any1 with the same problem here's how to get to those hidden bolts that are keeping you from pulling the engine
1. remove the alt or powersteering pump which ever is down bottom right over the transaxle
2. behind that remove the semi circular bracket that supports the transaxel via the block (two bolts on trans and two on the block) leave one bole that connects the bracket to the trans so you can swing it out of your way and avoid having to find bolt holes and line them up later
3. gather up all of your socket extentions as you have to piece them together as you slide your socket all of the way from the pass side to the bell (slide it between the top of the trans and the bottom of the block) i believe I used about 20 inches of extentions
the only way to see this bolt is to remove the cross over pipe but even then you can't get to it
4. to put it back in, use a long pair of needle nose plires and hold the bolt by the threads with the head facing away from you get it between the engine and the bell and insert the bolt
5.get those extensions back out and reverse the order

tyson8290

Reaction score
Before you toss the old engine, you might want to check on this ... If you remove the intake manifold, there is a cover over the balance shaft. Remove the cover and see if the bearings are still present at each end of the shaft.

On my car, one of the bearings walked out of place and left the shaft flopping around. It sounded really bad, like the bottom end had gone out. But I was able to replace the bearing and the car is running fine now.

I don't know what heads might fetch on the market. I really haven't heard of too many problems with 3.5L heads, so I don't know who is replacing them.
Where did you get the replacement parts from?