93 Olds 98 blinking temp number in controller

90Touring

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Oldsmobile 98 supercharged Touring Sedan with automatic climate control with dual passenger controls. I have had an intermittent blinking of the temperature numeral display about one minute after start up that flashes about 20 some times and then acts normal. All functions work after that except for lately. Despite the outside temperature being 40 degrees outside, the display shows it blowing out the bottom vents, but what is actually happening is hot air is blowing out the drivers side floor vent like it is supposed to, nothing coming out of the passenger side floor, but a cold artic blast of air coming out of just the right(passenger) side defrost. I set the automatic temp control to 75 degrees because I like to be warm and let it do its thing.

The craziest thing about all this is that sometimes after about 2 to as long as 9 weeks later it will sometimes heal itself and does just fine. What always seems to trigger it is when the battery cables are disconnected or the battery goes down. I recently had a rebuilt transmission put in it. When it came back: Guess what? Flashing display again. I found an unhooked vacuum line under the hood. Hooked it back up and it went away.

Currently the display is flashing again. The alternator locked up and had to be replaced two weeks ago. Disconnected the battery and it started flashing again. Looked under the hood for more vacuum leaks. Replaced the check valve coming off the engine that goes to the vacuum resovoir tank and the cruise. Problem went away.

I left the map light on Monday Feb 23rd. Came out Tuesday. Battery dead. Charged up battery that day. Started car up. Guess what started flashing again. Still blowing out the wrong vents as described up above. Opened hood. Bypassed new check valve and resovoir tank and hooked vacuum directly to cruise and heater controller by way of a t fitting. Disconnected battery to supposedly reset the code. Still blinks and works wrong.

I have a service manual. It says to simultaneously press the warm and off buttons and the entire HVAC display panel will light up all its digits and indicators. It does not really have a "Warm" button, so I am assuming that they mean to press the warmer side of the rocker switch that adjusts tempurature. I have seen this mode work before when I pressed the buttons and the display lit up, but it has been a long time. Currently, this function does not work.

This is where I am at. The floor is now open to suggestions and questions.

Thank you for your patience and time spent in reading this. I love Touring Sedans, but this one is out to drive me crazy.

90Touring

Reaction score
Problem solved

Thanks to a man at a very reputable service center in Lansing, Michigan on Clippert Street, I have found the problem. It was not the programmer, but a motor driven actuator on top of the programmer that gets stuck. It has something to do with the dual climate control system. I gave it three light taps with my index finger and everything is working fine as we speak. I will get one picked up this week. It is available through a Delco distributor for about $50. Lift out the glove box tray and you will see it on top. It has about five wires going to it. It also had about a six or seven inch adjustable metal rod arm on it too. Good luck with all your automatic climate control problems now and in the future. When I get the part picked up, I will post the part number here.

pogster

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up. I'm sure someone will find your information useful. :thumbsup:

90Touring

Reaction score
Part number that fixed the problem

AC Delco #15-71923

GM #16141822

I think is about $75

This is not the HVAC programer. It is a door flap controller that mounts on top of the AC/heater box on the right side(passenger side) of the firewall on the INSIDE of the cabin. From what I understand the little electric motor in side gives up and sends codes to the controller making it blink. You open the glove box, lift out the tray and it is right there on top. Two screws on top, remove the arm, and unplug the connector.

Good luck with all your HVAC repairs.

touringsedan

Reaction score
I'm glad you got your problem solved. Our cars are all getting old enough that we're going to start seeing these type problems pop up.

I had a nice 1993 TS, it was supercharged like your was. There's some pictures of it posted here in the ninety-eight forums, before and after it was stolen...

I have a 1994 Ninety-Eight which is supercharged. It is my daily driver. Basically a TS, has all the TS options but no bucket seat interior option available in 94. I think the split bench seats are more comfortable than the buckets anyway, and they still have plenty of adjustment along with the lumbar support.

Right now there is a 1995 Ninety-Eight Regency Elite for sale in the paper. It has 54K miles and they want 3K for it. It's taking all my internal discipline not to call. We already have 3 Oldsmobiles, along with 3 other cars...

Mike

G

G-469614

Problem solved

Thanks to a man at a very reputable service center in Lansing, Michigan on Clippert Street, I have found the problem. It was not the programmer, but a motor driven actuator on top of the programmer that gets stuck. It has something to do with the dual climate control system. I gave it three light taps with my index finger and everything is working fine as we speak. I will get one picked up this week. It is available through a Delco distributor for about $50. Lift out the glove box tray and you will see it on top. It has about five wires going to it. It also had about a six or seven inch adjustable metal rod arm on it too. Good luck with all your automatic climate control problems now and in the future. When I get the part picked up, I will post the part number here.
Thank you, I have the same exact problem !!!!