92 Olds Toro VIC Help Needed

wolfgang614

Reaction score
My 1992 Toronado Trofeo VIC (vehicle information center) has gone out. It has a flatline across the center of the screen. I have contacted every organization i know to get this looked at & repaired: Mr. wizard, Ingram Micro, every car audio place and even Sony (this is a Sony unit). Has anyone found a place that can repair these VIC's or may have replacements? I have also gotten on salvage sites that pull and ship parts. Thank you for any help you can provide. I will share a solution on here if I come up with one.thumbnail_8DFA67F5-57A9-4841-A46F-B93BD5425036.jpgthumbnail_C51ED82E-51D1-4BCA-93B8-CE4B44B279A0.jpgthumbnail_53A61188-57C7-46EF-8799-ED496637C33B.jpgthumbnail_8CB3F61E-B138-4E8E-9680-03E253908380.jpg

Reaction score
Retroren, I have the same problem as Wolfgang but could not locate your post on the person that does repairs on the VIC in Columbus OH. Any chance you could provide his contact info? Thanks!

JMorlan

Reaction score
I was the one who had originally posted the gentleman here in Columbus. He was able to repair mine and did an excellent job. I couldn't ask for anything better. The guy is an electronics genius. You can look him up on Google for his business for reviews, mine is there as well.

Igor Penava
Audio-Video Service
2025 W. Henderson Rd. Suite 30
Columbus, OH 43220
P (614) 459-4355
www.audio-videoservice.com

I can provide a email address as well, but hesitant to post it here because I don’t want a bot to scrape it up and then spam the hell out of him. lol. But if you need it let me know on the side.

Last edited:

JMorlan

Reaction score
The flat line on the vic, Check for leaking yellow Elna capacitor at location C518 and the associated diode next to it at location D504. Both are visable from the top thru the plastic window. Those are the two that cause the flat line.. When they leak/fail the vertical stabilizer doesn't get power to it.

Take off the clear plastic cover on the top, With the Vic screen facing away from you, and the crt yolk facing you, this will be in the bottom right hand corner.

Attachments

• C520570C-BDE2-459C-A3E1-2ED2B0A32697.jpeg
    C520570C-BDE2-459C-A3E1-2ED2B0A32697.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
I was the one who had originally posted the gentleman here in Columbus. He was able to repair mine and did an excellent job. I couldn't ask for anything better. The guy is an electronics genius. You can look him up on Google for his business for reviews, mine is there as well.

Igor Penava
Audio-Video Service
2025 W. Henderson Rd. Suite 30
Columbus, OH 43220
P (614) 459-4355
www.audio-videoservice.com

I can provide a email address as well, but hesitant to post it here because I don’t want a bot to scrape it up and then spam the hell out of him. lol. But if you need it let me know on the side.
Thank you very much for the information!

No need for the email address as I will give them a call if another company in Oldsmar FL near my home called Techni-Car does not pan out.

JMorlan

Reaction score
Good luck. Post back with results good or bad with what you come up with. There are many other avenues if it’s something that you can’t get fixed or find someone to fix.
Parts are still available if you know where to look.

Reaction score
Good luck. Post back with results good or bad with what you come up with. There are many other avenues if it’s something that you can’t get fixed or find someone to fix.
Parts are still available if you know where to look.

Thank you for your response. I tried all last week and again today to reach Audio-Video Services by phone (614 459 4355) during the hours posted on his website but keep receiving a message that "the caller I am trying to reach has a voice mailbox that has not been set up yet". Not sure if he is out of business or on vacation. Perhaps if you could send me his email to grantjstevenson1234@gmail.com I could give him a try that way? I have tried locating a TV repair shop in my area with no luck and the company in Oldsmar does not repair and could provide no leads as well. Really appreciate any assistance. Thanks again!