91 Trofeo Tape Deck Question

JohnWE

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post! So I crashed my Olds 88, which had served me quite well. That was rather sad, but I managed to replace it with a 91 Trofeo. It has a battery drain problem, and I checked out a bunch of stuff, but that's not the point of this thread.

I'm looking to reinstall the tape deck so I can use my mp3 player in the car. (audio is still awesome). My problem is that I am having a hard time finding where to plug in the tape deck. And by a hard time, I mean I'm not finding any sort of connectors in there at all for the deck to plug into.

It has the touch-screen radio system, if that helps any. (it's the secondary slot that a standalone tape deck is in)

Thanks!

Last edited:

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Staff member
Reaction score
Those Toronados that came equipped that way usually had cd players. You are referring to the visual information center. It controls many functions. The 1986-1989 Toronados had them low on the dash near the lower part of the console. In the 1990-1992 models it was a cd player housed in the lower part of the instrumentation panel.

That visual information center was an option. Goldsmobile who posts here could tell you more about this and how to maybe do a conversion.

Stormhawk

Reaction score
Are you trying to run your MP3 through the radio using the VIC? If that's your question then no, you can't do it. The VIC is the only way of interfacing with the audio system and I dont think you can plug outside audio directly into it. You'll have to install a new head unit and bypass the VIC. See if there is a way you can maybe route your MP3 through the antenna and tune the radio to a specific station that can recieve the signal from the MP3 player. I thought some companies made such a device, similar to the unit used in some XM and satellite recievers. If you want to use your VIC then this is your only alternative aside from replacing the head unit.
Good luck.

JohnWE

Reaction score
I have tried using the small radio transmitting devices before, and in my area, too many radio stations are near the frequencies they transmit at. So it doesn't work.

What my real question is, is how to install the STOCK Tape player (I suppose the CD Player would work the same) Mine is in the car, but it was not plugged in. And I can't seem to find where to connect it to the VIC.

goldsmobile

Reaction score
Those Toronados that came equipped that way usually had cd players. You are referring to the visual information center. It controls many functions. The 1986-1989 Toronados had them low on the dash near the lower part of the console. In the 1990-1992 models it was a cd player housed in the lower part of the instrumentation panel.

That visual information center was an option. Goldsmobile who posts here could tell you more about this and how to maybe do a conversion.

Welcome to the Toronado forum. :) NINETY EIGHT is right on when above he basically said the 89-92 cars w/VIC came installed with only a GM cd player, not a cassette player. Cd players install directly below the VIC.

It sounds like if you have an extra cassette that came with your new car that it isn't an original unit. If it is original, then the VIC was swapped in and is not stock. Maybe you can post a pic of where the cassette player is mounted but not plugged in.

Isn't anywhere to mount a cassette because the VIC is in the space that the stock cassette/climate controls are in a non-VIC E Body. I would take Stormhawk's advice from above for now until you research more on this topic, so don't give up, and be sure to post what you find out for other members. Worst comes to worst, you're stuck with a radio and cd player with the rest of us pilgrims!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

trofeo_tim

Reaction score
I have a vic in a 89 trofeo the tape player is in the console in front of the shifter
i have a 6 disc changer ran thru a FM Modulator that mounts in the antenna wire between antenna and the radio head under the console works like a champ
mp3 player would work the same way.

best buy or comp usa should have the kit

JohnWE

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I took the tape deck out and it was rusted beyond repair, so I trashed it. And I'm almost absolutely sure that it's stock. It is the same brand of tape player that was in my previous Olds 88, and it's where your guy's CD players are.

What I will probably do is what trofeo_tim suggested.

So now I've got a question. How do the stock CD players work? In my VIC, I don't see any option to listen to the tape player (or cd player). How do you switch sources?

HPalacio

Reaction score
Are you trying to run your MP3 through the radio using the VIC? If that's your question then no, you can't do it. The VIC is the only way of interfacing with the audio system and I dont think you can plug outside audio directly into it. You'll have to install a new head unit and bypass the VIC. See if there is a way you can maybe route your MP3 through the antenna and tune the radio to a specific station that can recieve the signal from the MP3 player. I thought some companies made such a device, similar to the unit used in some XM and satellite recievers. If you want to use your VIC then this is your only alternative aside from replacing the head unit.
Good luck.
You CAN DO IT, yellow (gnd), purple (Vbat 12v), brown (tape activation 5v *must provide it externally), red, white, blue (shielded), audio input.
Thanks me later