77 442

allpro1975

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1977 442 that has been hit head-on. I've been having trouble locating a front end for it. I can get the fenders but finding the grills and header panel is another story. Does anyone know of a supplier of such hard to find parts? It seems that when I look for these parts, I find them for all other cutlass and 442's but it almost always states "except 77 442". I realize that the sloped nose and grills were unique to the 77, but are they really that hard to find? I may just be looking in all the wrong places. OH, by the way, I am trying to work with a limited budget, just to add to the agony. any help would be appreciated-thanks

Yogi442

Reaction score
76 442 also had the sloped nose. These are interchangeable clips. My 76 Cutlass nose clip is from a 77 Cutlass. Look under 76....

allpro1975

Reaction score
some of the listings that i found do not define the 76 442 as being any diff than the cutlass. I do realize that they also have the sloped nose but the grills are diff than the 77. either way, i cannot find for 76 or 77. Any suggestions?

allpro1975

Reaction score
for a awhile I did have the front end of a 77 cutlass supreme on her but it was just wrong to continue to display such a disgrace to the 442. LOL

Yogi442

Reaction score
Originally posted by allpro1975@Jun 10 2005, 02:57 PM
for a awhile I did have the front end of a 77 cutlass supreme on her but it was just wrong to continue to display such a disgrace to the 442. LOL
[snapback]8267[/snapback]​
yeah, I know what you mean.

http://www.billionsandtrillionsinc.com/olds.asp

check with these guys, they have tons of used Olds parts. They just may have it.

Yogi442

Reaction score
Originally posted by allpro1975@Jun 10 2005, 02:53 PM
some of the listings that i found do not define the 76 442 as being any diff than the cutlass. I do realize that they also have the sloped nose but the grills are diff than the 77. either way, i cannot find for 76 or 77. Any suggestions?
[snapback]8266[/snapback]​

I don't know where that is coming from. The 76 had a sloped nose. a friend of mine in the Olds club out here is Seattle has a 76 442 and it has a sloped nose. The 76 and 77 Cutlass and 442's were nearly identical cars. Nearly all is interchangeable.
What motor do you have in this car? Curious as e-bay has a 77 that they has matching#'s 403 with TH350. TH350 was not available, the car came with either standard or TH400.

allpro1975

Reaction score
mine came factory with a 403, however I no longer know the location of the factory engine. came with TH400 also.
It is now equipped with a 455 and a TH400. I installed a dual hump cross member to accomodate new dual exhaust on headers.(although they are also for some other car, I had to make them fit)
numbers on rear axle come to 241 locking limited-slip.
The car has great performance factors but with my finances unable to support a true rebuild, I've been just getting by. At one time I had a 350 rocket in it, with a TH350. Another time I installed a 327 small block chevy. But with all that, I still never had a true front end. It sat in a field for about 13 years before I finally rescued it in 1995. The front clip I have now has no grills and is cracked in half. I have it taped together just to have it on there.lol

Yogi442

Reaction score
similiar here, my 76 Cutlass came stock with 350 but with tow package came with TH400 instead of TH350 and with 15" instead of 14" wheels. 241 gears also.
I had the 350 rebuilt via goodies from Summit Racing. (most people are not aware Summit has tons of Olds parts, they just dont list them in their catalogue). It was a good motor combination but finally elected to build a 455. It is now a 468 with dual Carters on an Offenhauser 360. Changed out block .060 over with 10.5 to 1 steel pistons with 292 comp cam and 9000 comp distributor matched up to the TH400 built with race shift kit and 373 rear end gears. Mounted on 295x50 R15's all around and it is truly a rocket. I blew out the accelerator cable so I am waiting for new one to istall. Same time I am halfway completed installing 70 Olds 455 in my 76 Buick Century Custom station wagon for good towing. Other ride is 66 442 not stock though. Swapped out 400 with 68 455 from Hurst Olds, reverse lock out 4 speed Hurst shifter with line lock and 342 rear end gears.
Daily is 78 Cutlass factory chevy 305 4bbl. Second owner, still has plastic seat cover on rear seat. Currently has 149,000 miles on it. This is a 2 door full option car for $750.00 in need of only paint.
I like my Oldsmobile's....

allpro1975

Reaction score
I've had my trouble with throttle cables too. I can't seem to find a bracket that fits "just right". The last time I tried to get one, they were discontinued. So i made due. I'm sure I could of found one if I tried, But that's been several years ago.

Yogi442

Reaction score
OK I found your nose, call 918 291-1966. He has the 76 442 sloped nose with grills. His name is Frank...the website I gave you in the earlier post. Had a feeling he would have them... Said has a few of them and yes, 76 & 77 442 both had same nose cowling, only difference is the grill pattern and for the sake of argument if he does not have the 77 parts, it will definetly be better than what you have now..good luck.

Yogi442

Reaction score
Originally posted by allpro1975@Jun 16 2005, 02:47 PM
I've had my trouble with throttle cables too. I can't seem to find a bracket that fits "just right". The last time I tried to get one, they were discontinued. So i made due. I'm sure I could of found one if I tried, But that's been several years ago.
[snapback]8615[/snapback]​
Summit may have them...if not Year One. Sometimes they are generic but auto parts stores do not realize this when looking at part#'s etc. What is # on one is not same # as another yet the parts are same.

allpro1975

Reaction score
:D
Originally posted by Yogi442@Jun 16 2005, 04:19 PM
OK I found your nose, call 918 291-1966. He has the 76 442 sloped nose with grills. His name is Frank...the website I gave you in the earlier post. Had a feeling he would have them... Said has a few of them and yes, 76 & 77 442 both had same nose cowling, only difference is the grill pattern and for the sake of argument if he does not have the 77 parts, it will definetly be better than what you have now..good luck.
[snapback]8617[/snapback]​
Thank-you, I'll check it out and get back with you. You're right, 76 is far better than what I have got now! Thanks again.

Yogi442

Reaction score
no problem, oh and besides even if you have to get the 76 instead of the 77 grill it will be ok since as you said, car is not totally stock...good luck...

tjensen78

Reaction score
i know i am going to get crap for this, but i HAD owned a '77 cutlass salon that i would have given to ya, but me and my brother ended up parking his dodge on top of it...literally!!! i'll find the pic, :blink:

allpro1975

Reaction score
Originally posted by Yogi442@Jun 17 2005, 03:10 PM
no problem, oh and besides even if you have to get the 76 instead of the 77 grill it will be ok since as you said, car is not totally stock...good luck...
[snapback]8676[/snapback]​

thanks again. I still haven't gotten ahold of that front end yet, I'm currently in Iraq and the phone systems aren't the best. I'm having my wife in texas try to get something together to possibly get this thing done. thanks again.

tjensen78

Reaction score
Originally posted by allpro1975+Jun 20 2005, 10:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allpro1975 @ Jun 20 2005, 10:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Yogi442@Jun 17 2005, 03:10 PM
[snapback]8676[/snapback]​

thanks again. I still haven't gotten ahold of that front end yet, I'm currently in Iraq and the phone systems aren't the best. I'm having my wife in texas try to get something together to possibly get this thing done. thanks again.
[snapback]8746[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

i will also help you find your fix for your front end problem, the least i could do for your services overseas, thank you :blink:

Yogi442

Reaction score
Texas?. damn that's where my ex wife was born and raised. She was from Garland just outside of Dallas. She moved to Austin about a year ago. Working for Dell Computers.

allpro1975

Reaction score
Originally posted by Yogi442@Jun 21 2005, 08:12 AM
Texas?. damn that's where my ex wife was born and raised. She was from Garland just outside of Dallas. She moved to Austin about a year ago. Working for Dell Computers.
[snapback]8772[/snapback]​
I'm from Arlington, just outside of FT. Worth. I'm originally from Missouri, Which is where the car still is. I'm just trying to get things together so I can get back on the project when I get back.

My wife called Frank, he wants 850 for the front end, complete. I'm also following a lead from two other sources on a parts finder. one is sending me a picture and wants 100 for one. We'll see how it all goes. Thanks again for everything, I think this forum could greatly improve my chances of finding parts and getting information.

Yogi442

Reaction score
Originally posted by allpro1975+Jun 21 2005, 09:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allpro1975 @ Jun 21 2005, 09:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Yogi442@Jun 21 2005, 08:12 AM
I'm from Arlington, just outside of FT. Worth. I'm originally from Missouri, Which is where the car still is. I'm just trying to get things together so I can get back on the project when I get back.

My wife called Frank, he wants 850 for the front end, complete. I'm also following a lead from two other sources on a parts finder. one is sending me a picture and wants 100 for one. We'll see how it all goes. Thanks again for everything, I think this forum could greatly improve my chances of finding parts and getting information.
[snapback]8776[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
He wants $850.00 the complete 77 442 cowling and grills?. That's BS.
I will make another inquiry.....

Yogi442

Reaction score
Originally posted by Yogi442+Jun 21 2005, 02:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Yogi442 @ Jun 21 2005, 02:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by allpro1975@Jun 21 2005, 09:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Yogi442
@Jun 21 2005, 08:12 AM

[snapback]8776[/snapback]​
He wants $850.00 the complete 77 442 cowling and grills?. That's BS.
I will make another inquiry.....
[snapback]8787[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
well I just sent dear Frank an e-mail that he will never forget. I am having his site removed from resource listing in the Rod and Cruising organizations I am affiliated with. There is several. He can try ripping off someone else. If he does'nt like what I had to say I will be more than happy to give him a guided tour of the mountains where I am from. Granted he will not like what we do to theives here though....he may want to keep his butt where he is, in the middle of a junk yard trying to get rich off of others instead of being more reasonable and comparable with regards to his pricing.
You maybe right considering what I do for a living that’s a compliment but that does not excuse your ignorance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Frank DeLarzelere [mailto:frank@billionsandtrillionsinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:20 PM
To: Steve Benson
Subject: Re: 1977 Olds 442 front cowling with grills

you are a smuck

----- Original Message -----

To: Frank@OldsPartsGuru.com

Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 3:07 PM

Subject: 1977 Olds 442 front cowling with grills

I called you last week on behalf of a young service man stationed in Iraq. His dream is to return home and finish restoring his 1977 Olds 442.

Unfortunately appears I wasted my time and his wife's time.

$850.00 is what you quoted her. What other piece of "gold" you got laying around that you are looking to get rich off of?.

This kid is a serviceman not filthy rich and while he is over there doing whatever this country is asking, you are here picking bones and see everyone as a potential gold mine. The damn parts aren't worth a third of that. Appears he may have already found the cowling for $100.00 bucks and I have a lead of the grills for $200.00. I thought you people were reasonably priced and being that I associate with several Rod organizations and Cruising organizations, my next letter after finding your site will be to notify our managing editors to remove your site as potential source site due to this issue with the young serviceman as well as the pricing.

I trust you will find some poor smuck to get rich off of, I just hope it is no one in uniform. At least one that is defending what it is you do. How ironic, he is over there defending your right to rip people off. All because you are sitting in the middle of a junk yard...