66 toronado replacement tires

P

patrick

I JUST FOUND A SOLID 66 TORONADO, AND NEED TO REPLACE TIRES. I WANT SOMETHING AS CLOSE TO OEM AS POSSIBLE BUT DONT WANT TO SPEND BIG BUCKS ON THEM. ANY IDEAS??
;)

jbritt67

Reaction score
The original tire size of 885-15 converts to a modern radial size of P235-75R/15. For an inexpensive passenger car tire, I like the Uniroyal Tiger Paws or the Firestone Supreme. Your local tire shop should be able to help you find a good tire to match your budget.

P

patrick

Originally posted by jbritt67@Jan 19 2005, 09:00 AM
The original tire size of 885-15 converts to a modern radial size of P235-75R/15. For an inexpensive passenger car tire, I like the Uniroyal Tiger Paws or the Firestone Supreme. Your local tire shop should be able to help you find a good tire to match your budget.
[snapback]4574[/snapback]​

I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A TIRE WITH A REAL THIN WHITE WALL ANY OTHER IDEAS?

jbritt67

Reaction score
The Firestones are available with a whitewall, but I don't know of tires in that size with a thinner stripe. I have seen reproduction redlines that have a narrow stripe from Coker Tire, but they are very expensive.

furiousolds

Reaction score
Dont go with stock sizes if you want to be able to take a corner. Go with a wider performance tire, that has the old school outside look if thats what you want.

Touringly yours

Reaction score
Call Bill Chapman at Diamond Back Classic tires. www.dbtires.com Without getting into too much of the history of Toronado tires....They came with a special tire called a TFD. They were their own special tire specifically made for the new Toronado for 1966. They had a real narrow whitewall that was actually placed further out towards the outside edge than what was the norm. Bill made his first set just especially for our Toronado about five years ago and they look great. I got him the dimensions off an actual original TFD tire and he should still have those dimensions in his database. If not, email me and I will measure and send them to you. He uses a modern high quality radial tire and places the correct dimension whitewall on it and it looks fabulous. I have seen no less than four other sets on other cars since then and I know they are his handiwork. Give him a call and he will set you up. I think they were about 6-700 dollars for a set sent to your door. His number is 888 922-1642. I hope you got this post in time to get these tires. They will really make your car look like "1966" again. I searched a long time to find somebody that can do this. He does a great job. Tell him I sent you and are still very pleased with my tires. The car drives great on them.

Kevin Korff

G

G-27376

Call Bill Chapman at Diamond Back Classic tires. www.dbtires.com Without getting into too much of the history of Toronado tires....They came with a special tire called a TFD. They were their own special tire specifically made for the new Toronado for 1966. They had a real narrow whitewall that was actually placed further out towards the outside edge than what was the norm. Bill made his first set just especially for our Toronado about five years ago and they look great. I got him the dimensions off an actual original TFD tire and he should still have those dimensions in his database. If not, email me and I will measure and send them to you. He uses a modern high quality radial tire and places the correct dimension whitewall on it and it looks fabulous. I have seen no less than four other sets on other cars since then and I know they are his handiwork. Give him a call and he will set you up. I think they were about 6-700 dollars for a set sent to your door. His number is 888 922-1642. I hope you got this post in time to get these tires. They will really make your car look like "1966" again. I searched a long time to find somebody that can do this. He does a great job. Tell him I sent you and are still very pleased with my tires. The car drives great on them.

Kevin Korff
FFWD almost 17yrs..... is this still the person & ph # to contact & are these tires still available?? Thanks!

Kendicott1

Reaction score

Kevin Korff

Kevin Korff
FFWD 16 1/2 yrs - is this still the contact person & ph# to inquire about these tires??