307 power steering pump belt adjustment bolts

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
307 engine in a 1982 Delta 88 . Took me to long to find the bolts that would allow me to adjust the power steering pump belt , you can find some info on U tube and some on forum sites , i thought bring everything i found onto one thread and add some other ideas . There are three 15 mm bolts you need to find . One is behind the Power steering pump pulley , sometimes it is lined up and you can see it , for me it was always hidden behind the pulley . I could not get the engine to stop at just the right place for me to see this bolt , i as wanting to put new belts on so i cut the P S belt off , then turned the pulley to line up a hole so i could put a 15 mm socket on the bolt . I removed the bolt and painted the head white , so i could find it again , then noticed i could see the white paint on this bolt when the engine is running.

I discovered i could fit an open end wrench between the pulley and pump mount ! no more cutting belts off !

The other two bolts ! see U tube video (307 power steering pump belt ) says you can see one bolt looking down at the back , says you can get it from up top , but easy to get at it from under the car . the other bolt for sure you have to get under the car , so i just did both from under the car . I made a comment on that video thanking him for the video ,said it helped me a lot and added more info that an open end 15mm wrench fits in between .

Attachments

• 100_3383.JPG
    100_3383.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3385.JPG
    100_3385.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3387.JPG
    100_3387.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 0

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
you want to get the belt tight . Picture shows a metal tab , that would be hidden behind the pulley . Use this tab to pry the pump shaft . Also notice you can see the 15 mm adjustment bolt . nice to have a picture with the pulley off to see this pry tab . i got this pic from another forum . Thankyou don71 for this picture .

Attachments

• Power steering pump adjustment.jpg
    Power steering pump adjustment.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
For me , when working alone i am not able to use the pry tab to get the belt tight . So i used wood wedges , with the wood wedges in place you now have lots of time to tighten up the three adjustment bolts. The metal tab is the best way to do it , but an option if by yourself . Before i did this i had the alternator and A/C belts loose , and the fan bolts loose , the water pump pulley will move when you put the wedges in , once you get all three 15 mm bolts done up tight on the PS , i tighten up the fan bolts before the A/C and alternator belts.

Attachments

• 100_3384.JPG
    100_3384.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

307-5a

Roy Ale
Reaction score
Belt squeal ? You might be reading this as you have a belt squealing . When i took my A/C belt off i got belt squeal . found out i had to put it back on .

The 307 has a design fault with the belts . The alternator belt only goes around the water pump . So its only the water pump pulley driving the alternator . Both the A/C belt and the power steering belt help drive the water pump pulley . So if you have a 307 with AC , the belt has to be on , even if the A/C does not work the belt helps turn the water pump pulley . Thankyou rustyroger G body guru for this belt info on the 307 .

Could be a new thread to talk about other options , an A/C delete pulley if you do not plan on using or fixing your AC , or move the Alternator to the AC pump location on the passenger side of engine .

Last edited: