3.5L endurance question

kokaracha

Reaction score
I realize this is a newer engine, but I am curious as to its ability to perform over the long haul. What are the most miles you have heard logged on to this engine. Mine is a 2002 with only 35K.

As an aside, what are some of the common problems people have had with this powertrain setup? So far I have had none.

Jrs3800

Reaction score
Not too sure what to tell you on the longevity of these engines... I think it will be around for a long time to come... The 3.5 Twin cam is a design that is derived fron the Northstar V8... So I'm sure it will last... And it will run too...

I am wondering though, does it use any oil between changes? I have seen some engine that use a little up to a quart for 3000 miles and others that use none... Thanks and good luck. :)

ComingApart

Reaction score
The 3.5 seems like a well designed engine to me (for what thats worth). Mine has just shy of 70,000 on the odometer, it gets driven between 115 and 150 miles a day and has never been wrenched on, other than routine maintenance. *knock on wood* It has always performed flawlessly.

Mine uses less than a half a quart every 3,000 miles. I use Valvoline Durablend in 5w30.
I've never really been concerned about it.

Sal Collaziano

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty thin oil isn't it? So that's a very good sign.. And that's a LOT of mileage per day! What do you do?

P.S. Welcome aboard! Thank you for signing up!

geekman

Reaction score
I've heard of people pulling trailers with a 3.5L at 70k and then putting 100k miles on it.

I wouldn't recommend it (pulling trailers with anything but a truck scares me, and besides they aren't making any more Oldsmobiles!), but honestly the specs on the engine are better than the 350 in my old truck.

But I agree with the other sentiment... knock on wood, and wait and see.

Flexin

Reaction score
I have about 160000kms on my engine. Which is about 96000 miles. The engine runs great. I did just have the transmission rebuilt about 2 months ago. I lost over drive and it damaged the other gears. As far as the engine goes its great. I hauled to sport bikes From Halifax Nova Scotia in Canada, to Daytona for bike week. The car hauled the bike with ease and I had with the fast paced traffic on the highways in the US.

James

C

childs145

i own the oldsmobile intrigue gls. its an 2000 3.5L twin cam v6. my car has 170,000 ,miles on it. and runs fine. the only problems i have had is replacing 2 blown tires and replacing a headlight. i put atleast. 2,400 miles on it a month. and still runs good. but i've only had it 2years. so i will see (knock on wood)

G

Dont fear guys. My '99 intrigue has 135k and still running like new! Great engine. No problems what so ever.

Black02Rora

Reaction score
Look to The Aurora V8 (aka Northstar) for reliability concerns with the 3.5L V6. Hence the name SHORTSTAR. It's just the northstar minus 2 cylinders with 8 less valves and a rebalance. I for one love this engine in my 2002 Aurora. Yes it does use a quart of oil per 3000 miles or so, but I still love it. I just turned 78,000 miles this morning and she's still growling and pulling stronger than ever. No tapping or smoking (it's a premium engine so what would you expect?). I recently had the leaky valve covers replaced (under warranty) and I use Valvoline 5W30 oil in the crank. I Use this brand for all my GM cars. It is recommended weight for most GM V6s anyway.

To tell the truth I was used to the low end grunt of the 3800 from my 1991 Toronado Trofeo, but the 3800 runs out of steam above 50-60 mph (even with a cold air intake on). I disliked the 3.5 at first because of the lack of bottom thrust, but I soon realized that if you rev it past 3500 all the way up to 6500 rpms you hit the sweet spot! THE 3.5L GETS IN YOUR ASS!!! It has mid range and top end power that pulls for days. AND IT SOUNDS SO SWEET DOING IT!!! It took some getting used to since I was used to an OHV slow and low reving Buick engine. Don't get it twisted I love the 3800, but..............I LUV my 3.5 Aurora.

Honestly I have had NO PROBLEMS with this car's drivetrain. From what I've seen and read first hand I'd say this engine is pretty damn good if not one of the best V6s made in it's era. From what some of the members have posted you should be ok for miles to come.

K

Krista

:D We just bought our 2001 Intrigue GL this week and I am so happy to hear how well the engine and trans holds up! I have an 88 LeSabre T-Type that's getting pretty rough, but it has 212,000 miles on the original eninge and trans and still gets up and goes! Hope to have this one just as long! :) Thank you for sharing your stories about your cars, this is awesome!

S

spike

<_< i just bought a 1999 with 135000 miles.The car runs like new and thereis no leaks.The only parts replaced are:a/c compressor,belt and tensioner.
Originally posted by kokaracha@May 7 2004, 08:57 PM
I realize this is a newer engine, but I am curious as to its ability to perform over the long haul. What are the most miles you have heard logged on to this engine. Mine is a 2002 with only 35K.

As an aside, what are some of the common problems people have had with this powertrain setup? So far I have had none.
[snapback]1625[/snapback]​

P

Pete

Originally posted by kokaracha@May 7 2004, 08:57 PM

[snapback]1625[/snapback]​
I have a 2001 Intrigue with the 3.5 DOHC Engine. The engine currently has 76,000 miles on it, and aside from a recent small coolant leak at the thermostat, I have not had any performance problems. The oil consumption is minimal (1 quart/3000 miles). The performance and power are still as strong as the day I bought the car.
I started using Valvoline Maxlife 5 W 30 Oil on my last oil change.

oldsintrigue02

Reaction score
Olds Intrigue GL 2002 w/72K
I've only changed oil every 4-6k miles
New tires
brakes
damn battery leaked and made a mess of my hoses to my AC I had to replace (not under warranty urrr)
Had the right strut replaced at 12K under warranty
Fuel injectors cleaned at 32 and 72 (Is that too much?)
Anyway, was wondering how much Maintenance and what should you do at this stage of the game?
I need this to last me a while. Extended warranty is ending in 3K
Thanks for all the responses.

tfink

Reaction score
157K here and motor still strong. having some other issues but the motor is not one of them *knocks on wood* mine uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles, no smoke out the back and no drips in the driveway, i don't know where it goes.

i would NOT recommend towing anything heavy with a V6, in general. maybe a small boat occasionally or something but if you are hauling something big get a truck with a V8 and a class 3 hitch

Intrigueman

Reaction score
The only thing i know bad about the 3.5l twin cam is slipping bearings but mine snaped a rod and blew the valves out lol guess i got the shitty engine lol 135k still runnin tho

gealii

Reaction score
i have a 2000 intrigue gl with 170k it runs strong and trannys still great, my fear is itll rust out before the engine dies

swagled

Reaction score
Holy old thread bump, batman!

There are several of us on here over 200K miles now, so I think the engine is quite well proven. I don't think I've EVER read of true internal failures (bearings, valves, pistons, etc) on the 3.5L engine before. Intrigueman's post is the first... Gaskets do fail over time, though.

Last edited: